Zinc came

Old July 18th 03, 04:32 AM
C Ryman

Default Zinc came

Is there any way to widen the channel in zinc came? Or is there any zinc
came that has a wider channel than others?
Thanks

--
Connie Ryman
Cryman Studio

Old July 19th 03, 12:54 AM
C Ryman

I was hoping not to have to get very specific, but here we go. I want to
experiment with framing a fused pane. I would miter (and solder) two short
pieces together for each corner, then glue them on with silicon. Steel wire
would go through the large empty spaces inside the zinc came, drill, blah,
blah, etc. Anyway, the fused glass does not fit in the zinc came. I think
using a wood fid will be difficult (at least for me) since zinc is so
strong.
Thanks,

--
Connie Ryman
Cryman Studio
"Sundog" wrote in message
link.net...
Being more specific could be helpful.
Yes...On some zinc cames you will find that there is a seam on ONE side of
the came heart. That side with the seam can be expanded with a fid-like
object. For a short run 'cheater' you could even cut the 2 faces apart and
attach over a trouble spot from each side individually, but that is a
weakness and so should be used with discretion.
Yes... look for "High-Heart' came.

regards, Jacques Bordeleau

=======================================

Old July 19th 03, 03:53 AM
Moonraker

Why not take one of those grinder bits like you use for ripple glass, and
just thin down the edge of the pane where it goes inside the zinc?

Old July 19th 03, 03:09 PM
Michele Blank

Connie, i use a pair of needle nose pliers and use them reversed. (i put the
closed pliers at an angle inside the came , then open them up a bit) i work
my way down the length of came every inch or so to widen whatever parts need
it. i find this useful when framing really thick textured glass.
michele