Beginner's Question--Potter's Wheel

Old June 5th 07, 11:08 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Buck

Default Beginner's Question--Thanks to all--Potter's Wheel

Shipping costs can be the dirty little secret of E-Bay and other web
suppliers.

Any savings can evaporate very quickly.

Waiting for promotions is a good idea.

I pity the folks who have to buy clay from a distance.

Thanks.

Buck

"DKat" wrote in message
Word of warning - by the time you add shipping to the costs at EBay you
are paying more than what you can usually get other places. Bennett has
the lowest prices I ever found for kilns. I think I got my wheel from
Sheffield - or Nevada Dans... Watch for sales which should be about now.

http://www.bennettpottery.com/
http://www.sheffield-pottery.com/
http://www.potterywheel.com/ (nevada dans)

but others are also good.

"Buck" wrote in message
news
A good lot of information to start with.

that product called "whisper" is intriguing.

I think I'll be making a small nuisance out of myself at a few of the Bay
Area suppliers.

Regards

Buck

"Buck" wrote in message
t...
They're all over the place, of course, and have dozens of
characteristics and quirks.

I remember two things (From how long ago I will not mention!):

1. A MASSIVE foot powered wheel that seemed to hold momentum forever. No
power required except the legs. Are these antiques, (or at the very
least) vintage now?

Any DIY possibilites?

2. A little kick lever powered rig with an aluminum top wheel, that
seemed to want to fly apart when you were pedaling it up to speed, and
DID NOT hold momentum.

Well, there are now a myriad of these little electrical ones all over
the web, and they do look simple, but I want something that just doesn't
vibrate.

They look so light that I have suspicions.

Any Help?

thanks.

Buck

(P.S. Good sources of equipment and raw materials in the SF Bay Area.
Tools, clay, glazes?)

Thanks Again

Old June 6th 07, 10:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Bubbles_

"Buck" wrote in message
news
Shipping costs can be the dirty little secret of E-Bay and other web
suppliers.

Any savings can evaporate very quickly.

Waiting for promotions is a good idea.

I pity the folks who have to buy clay from a distance.

Thanks.

Buck

I bought my wheel used from my teacher. A steal! The kiln was a refurbished
one from a local supplier, with one year guarantee - and I love it!

Look for a good supplier with a good reputation, then keep an eye on the
special offers - and/or let them know what equipment you are looking

Marianne

Old June 17th 07, 05:48 AM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Graham Ryan

Default Beginner's Question--Potter's Wheel

I don't know if you found what you're looking for yet or not. I'll give
my two cents anyway. I've thrown on a Soldner and OWN a VL whisper. My mom
can keep her Soldner. Side by side we both centered a simple 15 pounder,
the Soldner bogged down (only a little mind you), the Shimpo didn't even
flinch.
In the RadioControl world (my other passion) brushless tech has become the
only way to go, seems Shimpo is proving it in pottery as well. Only one
thing buggs me, at low RPM the 60hz 110 causes the wheel head to ocilate (ie
hesitate then lurch) But who throws at 1rpm anyway?
So, if you haven't bought anything yet, here is my advise. find someone,
anyone, willing to let you throw on their wheel (most potters are more than
delighted to help you) then find a different wheel, and another, etc. When
you find one that fits your style, buy one. If you aren't close to another
potter (can't imagine this) i say go Shimpo.

Graham