My Visit to the Hometown of Silk Embroidery

Old June 22nd 05, 08:10 AM
Silkembroideryman

Default My Visit to the Hometown of Silk Embroidery

I just had the opportunity to visit the hometown of silk embroidery,
Suzhou (in China). Although I have never embroidered in my life, I
appreciate and highly value hand-made crafts. In fact, I like
Western-style, silk embroidery so much that I will be importing them
from China for sale in the U.S. Many persons in the U.S. have seen and
are familiar with traditional, Chinese silk embroidery which contains
birds, mountains, and seas.

On the other hand, Western-style embroidery is virtually unknown here
in the U.S. What it entails is creating a silk embroidery piece from a
western photograpy or oil painting. The colors are simply amazing in
the scenic embroideries that I saw while in an outlying district of
Suzhou. There were literally about 100 silk embroidery stores
concentrated in a 2 to 3 block area of this small town. I observed and
marveled at embroidery craftswomen - both young and old alike -
needling away on a silk satin canvas.

To see this art of "Painting with needles" in person was fascinating.
If you would like to learn more about what I call "A Hidden Oriental
Jewel", check out http://www.rejoiceinarts.com/a-hidde...tal-jewel.html.
Also, if you have any questions on the styles and techniques involved
in creating a Chinese silk embroidery piece, please feel free to
contact me at .

Old June 22nd 05, 03:32 PM
Dianne Lewandowski

Thank you for a most informative site. I wish you much success in your
import business. These works of art are truly jewels of embroidery. I
was particularly satisfied to see you have included Chung's book in your
reference section. I have this book and it has taught me a great deal.

Dianne

--
"The Journal of Needlework" - The E-zine for All Needleworkers
http://journal.heritageshoppe.com