Question

Old March 28th 10, 09:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
[email protected]

Default Question

On Mar 24, 4:34?am, "
wrote:
Hi,
Could anyone tell me what woods and finishes are safe to use for
wooden jewelry?
Thanks for any
help!
Judith

Thanks so much for all the answers: I really appreciate your help!
Judith
Old March 29th 10, 08:57 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Chilla

Maren at google wrote:

Regardless you can always coat the wood ;-)

Regards Charles

And the coating can always chip or otherwise be disturbed.
I would not rely on coating to keep me (or my customers) safe.

Aloha,
Maren

True, but if you put a really hard/strong resin, or epoxy, that amount
of abuse would ruin the piece anyway.

From an esthetic point of view, yew is pretty boring, like ebony,
that's boring too.

If the customer "wants" a wood that you feel is toxic, then you can
outline the percieved dangers, and then it's in their court.

English longbows made from yew don't seem to cause issue with people
using them. If they were that bad to use people wouldn't use them...
surely.

Regardless burls are safe to touch, and have a far greater "wow" factor
anyway.

The main problem with wood is sawdust, if you wear a filter, or have an
effective dust extractior you'll be fine.

Regards Charles

Old March 29th 10, 08:58 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Chilla

William Black wrote:

Chilla wrote:

William Black wrote:

A lot of woods will cause a nasty reaction in particle form (sawdust),
however if you wear a filter mask things will be fine.

Yew is no worse than any other if you take precautions.

If we're talking about Taxus baccata, I get a rash just handling the
stuff, and I do use it to make longbows out of, but I wear latex gloves.

I've seen it used for knife handles and didn't like the idea.

No.

It's noted by foresters for being toxic.

It's nasty stuff, so take care.

When you make your long bows, do you coat the staves in anything?

Just found this :-
http://woodturningblog.wordpress.com/2009/11/10/is-yew-wood-toxic/

It appears the the leaves and seed will make you very sick and have the
potential to kill you.

The saw dust is a problem, as is any saw dust.

The author is waiting for a reply from a toxicologist.

---

Had a quick look at the species you were talking about on Wiki, and
apparently the berries aren't toxic, allowing distribution of the seeds
by bird.

If you eat the leaves, bark or wood, or chew the seeds you will
definitely get very sick, however fatality in humans is very rare.

---

So what do we know for sure :-

* Yew has been used for bows since ancient times.

* You get a rash from handling the wood, although I don't (*** side
note: do you get sweaty hands when you work? Because this would
facilitate the taxane getting onto your skin... can't imagine you using
green wood).

* Saw dust particles aren't good for you, and yew sawdust would be real
nasty due to the taxane. Poisons and lungs never go well together.

* It's not a good wood for jewelry or a knife grip, as it's very plain
and marks easily, you can dent it with a fingernail. (It can be made
safe by using very hard resins/eposies, but why would you?)

Regards Charles

Old March 30th 10, 06:21 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
William Black

Chilla wrote:
William Black wrote:

Chilla wrote:

William Black wrote:

A lot of woods will cause a nasty reaction in particle form (sawdust),
however if you wear a filter mask things will be fine.

Yew is no worse than any other if you take precautions.
If we're talking about Taxus baccata, I get a rash just handling the
stuff, and I do use it to make longbows out of, but I wear latex gloves.

I've seen it used for knife handles and didn't like the idea.

No.

It's noted by foresters for being toxic.

It's nasty stuff, so take care.

When you make your long bows, do you coat the staves in anything?

A light coating of linseed oil after they're finished.

* You get a rash from handling the wood, although I don't (*** side
note: do you get sweaty hands when you work?

Afraid so.

--
William Black

"Any number under six"

The answer given by Englishman Richard Peeke when asked by the Duke of
Medina Sidonia how many Spanish sword and buckler men he could beat
single handed with a quarterstaff.
Old March 31st 10, 05:15 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Chilla

William Black wrote:
When you make your long bows, do you coat the staves in anything?

A light coating of linseed oil after they're finished.

I like boiled linseed oil, raw makes wood really dark.

Wonder how that would protect against the taxane(?)

* You get a rash from handling the wood, although I don't (*** side
note: do you get sweaty hands when you work?

Afraid so.

Sweat is corrosive, and a fluid, so dry hands would be better... you use
latex gloves and that will make your hands stinky and pruney.

A barrier cream would probably serve you better.

Do you make the bows for the GP or for re-enactors?

What's your current price, so I can pass on the details.

Regards Charles

Old April 2nd 10, 01:34 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
William Black

Chilla wrote:

William Black wrote:
When you make your long bows, do you coat the staves in anything?

A light coating of linseed oil after they're finished.

I like boiled linseed oil, raw makes wood really dark.

Wonder how that would protect against the taxane(?)

* You get a rash from handling the wood, although I don't (*** side
note: do you get sweaty hands when you work?

Afraid so.

Sweat is corrosive, and a fluid, so dry hands would be better... you use
latex gloves and that will make your hands stinky and pruney.

A barrier cream would probably serve you better.

Do you make the bows for the GP or for re-enactors?

For me, but I'm a re-enactor...

Old April 3rd 10, 09:02 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Chilla

William Black wrote:

Do you make the bows for the GP or for re-enactors?

For me, but I'm a re-enactor...

Well they sell well here in Australia, due to the lack of the raw
material, it's why I asked.

So could be an opportunity for you if you're interested.

I'm a re-enactor too (dark age), and some of the pieces from the
Staffordshire hoard are worth making as replicas ;-)

Regards Charles

Old April 3rd 10, 10:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
William Black

Chilla wrote:

William Black wrote:

Do you make the bows for the GP or for re-enactors?

For me, but I'm a re-enactor...

Well they sell well here in Australia, due to the lack of the raw
material, it's why I asked.

So could be an opportunity for you if you're interested.

I'm retired, and if I started trading again I'd go back to being a 17th
century silversmith and jeweller. mainly because there's a couple of
thousand quid's worth of period tools and equipment in my tool chests...

I worked out many years ago that the re-enactors aren't the ones with
the money, it's the paying public who have the money...

Old May 2nd 10, 08:16 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Andrew Barss

Chilla wrote:
:
: It's noted by foresters for being toxic.

Foresters are in long-term cntact ith wet sedust, branches, bark, berries,
and leaves from whatever they are harvesting. Doesn't extend to
occasional exposure to the wood alone.

: Had a quick look at the species you were talking about on Wiki, and
: apparently the berries aren't toxic, allowing distribution of the seeds
: by bird.

No no no no. Birds can eat and digest the berries from a number of
trees and bushes which are severely toxic to humans.

: * Saw dust particles aren't good for you, and yew sawdust would be real
: nasty due to the taxane. Poisons and lungs never go well together.

Yes. But wearing a decent mask (not a nuisance mask from the hardware
store, a real air fitration mask) when sanding is the most important part.
Sand outside if you're really concerned.

-- Andy Barss