Celtic Christmas

Old January 14th 04, 06:52 PM
BBryer

Default Celtic Christmas

Hello all.

For Christmas I received the pattern etc.. for L&L Celtic Christmas.
It will be my first Lavender and Lace.

I have a question for someone who has done it or something simialr.

What do I use to put the beads on. I asked at my LNS and she said
either the backgournd colour or a colour that matches the beads.

Just wanted some input from other people.

Thanks
Bonnie Bryer
Old January 14th 04, 07:14 PM
Ellice

On 1/14/04 12:52 PM,"BBryer" posted:
For Christmas I received the pattern etc.. for L&L Celtic Christmas.
It will be my first Lavender and Lace.

Congrats, it's a beautiful piece.

What do I use to put the beads on. I asked at my LNS and she said
either the backgournd colour or a colour that matches the beads.

Probably the most common is to use the color that matches the beads. It
looks more continuous that way. Don't do the beads til the end - they get
handled less that way. And you can look at a couple of different methods for
attaching them - going thru once, then back and surrounding with the thread,
or going thru 2 directions - there are some illustrations on the web for
attaching. You just want to be sure that the beads stand up, rather than
looking like little donuts ;^)

No time to give you web references right now, but I'll try to later, if
someone else doesn't pop up with some.

ellice

Old January 14th 04, 07:46 PM
JL Amerson

It's personal preference. If I were doing that piece, I'd probably match my
thread to the ground fabric or the color of ths stitched area surrounding
the bead. I'd rather see the bead "floating" than to see the threads that
are holding it down. Did that make sense?

Bear in mind however, this is just my opinion. Why not attach a few beads on
the outside edges of your fabric and see what appeals to YOU?

om...

Old January 14th 04, 10:20 PM
Jan Lennie

You can
1 attach with thread that matches the beads
2 thread that matches the ground fabric
3 Use an 'invisible thread' which is a nylon type thread , the best to be
had (and the cheapest ) is from a fishing supply shop.
I prefer to attach beads using a normal cross of two strands of thread -
first 'leg' goes through the bead 2nd 'leg' is split and surrounds the bead
to hold it snugly in place.
Jan

Old January 15th 04, 01:52 AM
emerald

"BBryer" wrote in message
om...
Hello all.

For Christmas I received the pattern etc.. for L&L Celtic Christmas.
It will be my first Lavender and Lace.

I have a question for someone who has done it or something simialr.

What do I use to put the beads on. I asked at my LNS and she said
either the backgournd colour or a colour that matches the beads.

I used a colour that matched the background fabric. In my case that was a
sage green colour.

My preference for stitching on beads is to do a full cross stitch through
them so they stand up straight, not at an angle. Also, if you are stitching
this on fabric of more than 14 stitches per inch, you might consider using
petite beads as they fit better with the stitch size.

Hope this helps,
emerald

Old January 15th 04, 04:22 AM
Texasxsgal1

I don't like beads,so I am doing her without the beads- in green with silver
metallics. May also change the border and leave off the Noel or may not. As
you can see, I was behaind the barn door when the good Lord gave out those
following directions genes lolol
kathy
san antonio
Old January 15th 04, 02:26 PM
SGC

Y'know this following directions thing is kinda interesting. I'm a real
stickler for following the "rules" (I even test highly on that behavior
trait & value)... but when it comes to doing something creative (like
sewing, quilting, painting, knitting, crocheting, cross-stitching,
needlepointing) my general attitude is ---
once you learn the technique, be creative!!

SGC

But for goodness-sake -- follow the rules of polite behavior, follow the
rules of driving, ... you get the general idea!
"Karen C - California" wrote in message
In article ,

(Texasxsgal1) writes:

As
you can see, I was behaind the barn door when the good Lord gave out

those
following directions genes

And I was in the south forty! You mean I'm not supposed to add BF and

hologram
thread to everything I see? Next you're gonna tell me that when the chart

says
550, I'm not supposed to stitch it in blue.

I don't do beads. Wherever possible, I substitute metallic braid. French
knots if I need the bump, and XS if I just need the sparkle.

An attitude that did not sit well with my late best friend, who apparently

got
in line twice for those following directions genes! (Which is why the

Good
Lord did not notice in inventory that there was one dose extra leftover.)

--
Finished 12/14/03 -- Mermaid (Dimensions)
WIP: Angel of Autumn, Calif Sampler, Holiday Snowglobe, Guide the Hands

(2d
one)

Paralegal - Writer - Editor - Researcher
http://hometown.aol.com/kmc528/KMC.html

Old January 15th 04, 03:54 PM
Majmoxie

For Christmas I received the pattern etc.. for L&L Celtic Christmas.
It will be my first Lavender and Lace.

I have a question for someone who has done it or something simialr.

What do I use to put the beads on. I asked at my LNS and she said
either the backgournd colour or a colour that matches the beads.

My poor CC has turned into a UFO. But she's about halfway finished.

I made some changes when I started her. Changed the fabric color and size.
Which meant I changed the beads to petite beads. I'm stitching her on an ivory
colored linen. I had beaded her hair and most of the band above her head, when
I decided that I didn't like the look of having the thread match the fabric.
Started frogging beads, and changed to thread that matched the bead for the
green and red beads, and thread that matched the fabric for the gold beads.
Also using Petite Treasure Braid for the metallic gold thread.

I really should work on her and get her off those scroll rods. I've got another
project I'd like to use them on...

Donna @ West Point