OFF TOPIC Olympics

Old August 13th 04, 10:41 PM
Cheryl Isaak

Default OFF TOPIC Olympics

So
Who's going to be watching and what will you be watching?

I'll watch the track and field and the swimming especially Jenny Thomas, a
local girl!

Cheryl

Old August 14th 04, 04:15 AM
clancy

I'm sure there are a lot of class acts competing, but I just wonder what
their goals are - is it to be millionaires cuz they win the gold - is it the
recognition ... I truly don't believe it's the fun they all say when they're
interviewed - they all seem nervous wrecks .. so I guess I know my answer.
I don't watch much of it I'm afraid - too much money being spent on stuff
like this when everyone knows it's much more needed in other places. But
that's life today and I guess we just accept it and root for our home
countries even tho' a lot of us couldn't give a sweet whit who won this or
that. Easy to get caught up in tho' once you start watching. Good luck to
the athletes for whatever reason they're in the Olympics - just doesn't
impresss me a bit.

Sharon (N.B.)

"Cheryl Isaak" wrote in message
On 8/13/04 6:21 PM, in article ,
"Lucretia Borgia" wrote:

On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 17:41:20 -0400, Cheryl Isaak
wrote:

So
Who's going to be watching and what will you be watching?

I'll watch the track and field and the swimming especially Jenny

Thomas, a
local girl!

Cheryl

I know people will not like this but I am fed up with all the drugs,
all the money and scandals and feel it has little to do anymore with
finding the best athlete in the world in any one sport.

I have become so cynical about it all that I shall not watch any of
it, it is all a farce - very like 'professional' wrestling, all smoke
and mirrors and nothing is really what you are seeing.

I would sooner go and see local kids playing a soccer game, playing
their hearts out, having a great time and thinking they are the bees
knees, and of course, they are!

Sheena

I have to admit that most of it is anything but amateur, but I do know

that
Jenny Thomas is a class act. She spends lots of time encouraging other
athletes especially the young girls all around NH.

Cheryl

Old August 14th 04, 11:45 AM
Cheryl Isaak

Some compete to further other goals, most for the love of the sport. Other
than Mark Spitz, can you name an Olympic swimmer that made millions after
the fact. Pole vaulter? Tri-athlete?

As to being nervous, how would you feel if someone stuck a microphone in
your face and those hot camera lights were pressing down on you? And some
numb nuts reporter asked how you were feeling after you had just swam 500
meters as fast you could? Heart pounding, lungs still gasping for air,
adrenaline still pumping and perfect haired reporter wants to know how you
are feeling.
Cheryl

On 8/13/04 11:15 PM, in article
, "clancy"
wrote:

I'm sure there are a lot of class acts competing, but I just wonder what
their goals are - is it to be millionaires cuz they win the gold - is it the
recognition ... I truly don't believe it's the fun they all say when they're
interviewed - they all seem nervous wrecks .. so I guess I know my answer.
I don't watch much of it I'm afraid - too much money being spent on stuff
like this when everyone knows it's much more needed in other places. But
that's life today and I guess we just accept it and root for our home
countries even tho' a lot of us couldn't give a sweet whit who won this or
that. Easy to get caught up in tho' once you start watching. Good luck to
the athletes for whatever reason they're in the Olympics - just doesn't
impresss me a bit.

Sharon (N.B.)
.................................................. ..........................

Old August 14th 04, 02:08 PM
Katherine Hutter

I saw him recently on TV for an interview. What I found amazing, is
that he said if his times competed with today's athletes, he'd do no
better than 6th place!

Katherine

Old August 14th 04, 02:26 PM
escapee

Well, anyone from Singapore who wins a medal will be awarded with a new house
and I believe a million dollars...from their government. There are other awards
like that from home governments all over the planet. Many participants are
already professional athletes.

I saw the opening ceremony last night and it moved me to tears. Then my husband
and I were goofing on our nations puritanical BS and how the whole thing will
probably be perceived as some sort of pagan ritual and the way the lovers were
frolicking in the water, who were simulating nudity, along with the beautifully
presented parade of Greek culture and its own representation of nudes. Of
course then there was the huge monolith which evolved after Satyr shot the put
out into the huge pool and when it finally burst open there was a naked man in
there with a huge penis, then it split open to a female nude, which the camera
immediately swayed away from.

Personally, I thought the opening ceremony was the best I've seen. The costumes
were artfully crafted and the players were beautifully presented. I do not have
as much hope for the Olympians. Lots of shenanigans with enhancing products,
etc. Greed is a powerful and evil thing.

I say BRAVO to Greece! Just beautiful.

Victoria

On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 03:15:01 GMT, "clancy" opined:

I'm sure there are a lot of class acts competing, but I just wonder what
their goals are - is it to be millionaires cuz they win the gold - is it the
recognition ... I truly don't believe it's the fun they all say when they're
interviewed - they all seem nervous wrecks .. so I guess I know my answer.
I don't watch much of it I'm afraid - too much money being spent on stuff
like this when everyone knows it's much more needed in other places. But
that's life today and I guess we just accept it and root for our home
countries even tho' a lot of us couldn't give a sweet whit who won this or
that. Easy to get caught up in tho' once you start watching. Good luck to
the athletes for whatever reason they're in the Olympics - just doesn't
impresss me a bit.

Sharon (N.B.)
................................................. ...........................

Old August 14th 04, 02:44 PM
Cheryl Isaak

I'd have liked to see the opening ceremony with out the running commentary.
It sounded like they had no idea what half the stuff was with out a script.
Cheryl

,

Old August 14th 04, 02:48 PM
Cheryl Isaak

Is he still a stud muffin? I remember all the women going gaga over him.

Actually, with the advances in training regimens and the motion studies, I'd
bet he'd do as well as he did then.

Cheryl