Not A Ripping Good Time

Old May 22nd 12, 03:07 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Mary in Rock Island IL[_2_]

Default Not A Ripping Good Time

Lesson learned: when the sewing machine is acting up and producing
odd quilting, stop and take it in for diagnosis and reapir.

I have spent more time than I want to recall ripping out a LOT of
poorly formed machine stitched motifs in a quuen sized quilt. It was
clear that there was trouble when I put them in but apparently I was
not engaging in good quality control (I was at retreat, not a grat
excuse but the best I've got).

The good news: my bobbin case has been replaced. The bad motifs are
all GONE and the deadline for this gift moved 3 months in my favor.
Oh, and I have significantly practiced my ripping skills.

Phew!

Mary
Old May 22nd 12, 03:51 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Ripping skills are good to have. Many times when I've had a new stitcher
come through in hysterics, step one is to take out the @#$! mess she's made.
( That was putting it very politely.) Many times I've carefully, gently
removed the offending threads while she has a cup of tea, dose of Valium,
whatever it took to calm her highly offended delicate sensibilities. When I
was only four years old, my dear granny made everything right for me. She
had fine ripping skills. It is a gift you can give to someone in great
distress. Meanwhile, when you can; buy a spare bobbin case. I'm thinking
mine was less than $30 and is almost as helpful as a new sharp needle.
Polly

Old May 22nd 12, 10:10 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta[_3_]

Good advice, and too often ignored. Got pictures?
Roberta in D

Old May 23rd 12, 07:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Mary in Rock Island IL[_2_]

Pictures have to wait until the gift is presented.

Thanks for all the sympathy. Now to re-quilt!

wrote:

Lesson learned: when the sewing machine is acting up and producing
odd quilting, stop and take it in for diagnosis and reapir.

I have spent more time than I want to recall ripping out a LOT of
poorly formed machine stitched motifs in a quuen sized quilt. It was
clear that there was trouble when I put them in but apparently I was
not engaging in good quality control (I was at retreat, not a grat
excuse but the best I've got).

The good news: my bobbin case has been replaced. The bad motifs are
all GONE and the deadline for this gift moved 3 months in my favor.
Oh, and I have significantly practiced my ripping skills.

Phew!

Mary

A really good time - Not OT Anna Belle[_2_] Quilting 1 May 3rd 10 03:30 PM
Ripping out--again! myswendy Yarn 14 April 17th 07 04:23 AM
ripping day Bob & Carol Yarn 18 October 23rd 06 09:28 PM
new embroidery ??? and ripping an unsuccessed one lula Needlework 0 July 22nd 04 08:41 AM
Help! Ripping out itsy-bitsy quilting stitches caitlin Quilting 30 January 13th 04 05:02 PM