About pre-cuts

Old December 19th 11, 11:55 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Trish Brown

Default About pre-cuts

Does anybody buy them?

My maths gene isn't working this evening and I'd appreciate other
people's input.

I've got some lovely patterns for charm squares and like the idea of
having a whole line of coordinating fabrics to play with. The only thing
is, I'm reckoning that it's heaps cheaper to buy yardage and cut your
own squares. Same with jelly rolls, same with layer cakes etc. Are there
shops who'll cut a 5", 10" or 15" strip of fabric across the width of a
bolt for you?

Anyway, I'd really like to hear what other people have done with
pre-cuts and I'm busting to be given permission to buy some!

Hoping my brane phog clears up soon: I have Stuff to Do!
--
Trish Brown {|:-}

Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Old December 19th 11, 12:06 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Di Maloney[_3_]

Hi Trish,
I agree with you. I actually bought 20cm of each of the spotted material I
wanted and did my own for a quilt.

Some quilt shops have a minimum cut - 20cm I think and I know Spotlight does
so it's worth asking.

Di
Vic Aust
eb.com...

Old December 19th 11, 01:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Maureen Wozniak

On Mon, 19 Dec 2011 05:55:34 -0600, Trish Brown wrote
(in article om):

Does anybody buy them?

My maths gene isn't working this evening and I'd appreciate other
people's input.

I've got some lovely patterns for charm squares and like the idea of
having a whole line of coordinating fabrics to play with. The only thing
is, I'm reckoning that it's heaps cheaper to buy yardage and cut your
own squares. Same with jelly rolls, same with layer cakes etc. Are there
shops who'll cut a 5", 10" or 15" strip of fabric across the width of a
bolt for you?

Anyway, I'd really like to hear what other people have done with
pre-cuts and I'm busting to be given permission to buy some!

Hoping my brane phog clears up soon: I have Stuff to Do!

I've never done the math, but I'd guess it is heaps cheaper. But I'll admit,
I sometimes can't resist the charm packs. And this fall I fell in love with
a line and bought a jelly roll. As soon as I'm finished with this Xmas
quilt, I'm working on the quilt from my jelly roll.

Maureen

Old December 19th 11, 03:10 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Mary

With only one exception, I never buy fabric that is pre-cut, and that
is because I always wash fabrics before using them. I was all the
sizing OUT before I work with fabric, and want to be sure about any
bleeding dye issues. The only exception I make, and that is extremely
rare, is that I might buy a jelly roll on close-out price and use it
for a machine-pieced log cabin.
Old December 19th 11, 03:22 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta[_3_]

Yardage is always cheaper, unless they're having a clearance sale on
the packs. Sometimes the more straightforward merchants even label
charm packs and such with the equivalent total yardage. I am seldom
tempted to buy these things, but I will buy FQ packs.

A shop might not be willing to cut only 5", but they should be happy
to give you anything over 9" (a quarter yard).

Anyhow, if it's permission you want, I hereby grant you license to buy
any pre-cut packs your heart desires! Even if you don't "need" them!
After all, everybody needs scraps.
Roberta in D, Queen of the Scrap Heap

Old December 19th 11, 03:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Marcella Peek

In article om,
Trish Brown wrote:

Does anybody buy them?

My maths gene isn't working this evening and I'd appreciate other
people's input.

I've got some lovely patterns for charm squares and like the idea of
having a whole line of coordinating fabrics to play with. The only thing
is, I'm reckoning that it's heaps cheaper to buy yardage and cut your
own squares. Same with jelly rolls, same with layer cakes etc. Are there
shops who'll cut a 5", 10" or 15" strip of fabric across the width of a
bolt for you?

Anyway, I'd really like to hear what other people have done with
pre-cuts and I'm busting to be given permission to buy some!

Hoping my brane phog clears up soon: I have Stuff to Do!

I do buy plenty of pre-cuts. It's an easy way to get one of every
print/color from a collection. Most times the shops near me get some of
a line of fabric but rarely all of it so I couldn't even easily buy a
piece of each if I wanted.

Here, most shops require a purchase of at least 1/4 yard (9 inches) and
then in set fractions of a yard not by the inch. If all I wanted was
one 5" square of each then I would have a whole lot of leftover fabric.
If I wanted to cut my own layer cake (10" square) I'd have to buy 1/3
yard (12" inches) so again, lots of extra fabric purchased.

Some people would love that extra fabric. I am not one of those people
:-) We're all different in what we like to have hanging around.

Also, while the cost of a pre-cut is greater than the per yard cost of
fabric, you are also paying for the labor of having it all cut for you
as well as the convenience of getting the whole collection easily rather
than having to run to multiple stores or wait for mail order. That's a
cost too.

marcella
Old December 20th 11, 01:37 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

As to charms and jellyrolls - they are a wonderful opportunity to see the
entire line. Yes, indeed. And if you're creating something important you
will want to put them in little lingerie bags and launder them. Some times
I don't bother, rarely, they bleed but it's just a crib quilt and usually no
real harm is done. You sure wouldn't want to risk that if you had a serious
production going. Polly

Old December 20th 11, 04:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
IMS[_6_]

Yes - I've used these a lot lately, primarily when I've specifically
needed strips or squares. It does save me from doing all that
cutting, and that's worth something.

I won't wash them, though ... I do like to have the fabric flat when
sewing, so imagine the ironing time - it ain't happening

So, I will launder after the quilt is finished and toss in a few Color
Catchers depending on the size of the quilt. Those things are worth
their weight in gold!

-Irene (who had carpel tunnel surgery last Thursday and am way behind
on reading ths posts)

Old December 20th 11, 07:17 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bobbie Sews More

IMS ...

-Irene (who had carpel tunnel surgery last Thursday and am way behind
on reading ths posts)

Hope you are recovering from your surgery!
Barbara in FL

Old December 20th 11, 10:58 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy E

Howdy!

Absolutely: What Marcella said!

Variety: that's the #1 reason I buy pre-cut packs. I want some
of all of the line, but not a whole lot of some pieces, & this
always turns out to be a good investment for me. In that pack
there might be a piece I hadn't seen in the shop or online, maybe a
piece that I fall in love with, and, usually, I can then hunt it
down. Or give away any bits I really-really don't like
(that seldom happens; I like fabric).
The variety can open up a whole new world of color & design,
and just might add that perk my project needs.

Sure, there's more cost in cutting the fabric; I'm okay with that
(I used to be one of those doing the cutting & packaging). I think
of all the money I save by buying a $9 charm pack, or a set of
10" squares, or even a bundle of fqs, and *not* buying the 26
yards of The Collection. ;-D

Cheers!

R/Sandy - love-love-love fabric; am getting a bit weary of seeing
the same Moda bakery bits in most quilt shops, tho'...

On 12/19/11 9:26 AM, in article
, "Marcella Peek"