newbie needs help on simple question

Old March 16th 04, 10:14 PM
D Kat

I'm happily using leftover wonder board that we had from a bathroom
construction. It would be similar to cement board but the wonderboard you
can score and break like sheetrock It doesn't soak up the water like
plaster does so I will eventually make myself a plasterboard but not until
my need to recycle catches up with me. You could also use sheetrock I would
think. I have taken leftover pieces of sheetrock which have the edges
covered with duct tape and I use them as my ware boards. The critical thing
is to keep any plaster well away from your clay.

DKat

"Beowulf" wrote in message
news
I am just a newbie in clay and throwing-- just got my own wheel after
taking some private lessons. My question: how can I rig up something at
home for kneading the clay? I mean, should I glue some canvas to an old
table, or use a staple gun to snugly attach canvas to the top of an old
table, to provide the surface for kneading clay?

Old March 16th 04, 10:41 PM
Charles Spitzer

"Beowulf" wrote in message
news
I am just a newbie in clay and throwing-- just got my own wheel after
taking some private lessons. My question: how can I rig up something at
home for kneading the clay? I mean, should I glue some canvas to an old
table, or use a staple gun to snugly attach canvas to the top of an old
table, to provide the surface for kneading clay?

you can cast one out of concrete pretty easily. plan on about 4" thick with
some internal metal rebar to make it stronger.

i just went to a place that makes granite countertops and bummed a 2'x2'
scrap piece of 3/4" granite for free.

regards,
charlie
cave creek, az

Old March 18th 04, 11:08 AM
J M

Try chipboard...it's hard wearing, and is great for kneading on....My
worktop in my studio is chipboard topped, and best of all, the off-cuts are
great for drying 'green-ware' on. There is no risk of contanimating the
clay, and will soak up surplus moisture from the clay slower than plaster;
but if you have a piece which is just slightly too wet, then this is great!

Old March 18th 04, 10:54 PM
Eddie Daughton

I use a concrete paving slab (got it fer free @ the local builders merchant
cos there;s a chip off one corner.... One side fer red e/ware, one side fer
s/ware, and if it breaks (unlikely) just go down +ask again.....
If you is worried about concrete getting into yer clay just give it a good
scrub with water before you use it + let it dry.....
Hugs
Eddie