FAQ, QOM, QuiltPro questions.

Old March 22nd 05, 06:50 PM
Betsy Ross

Default FAQ, QOM, QuiltPro questions.

Is there a FAQ?
Where do I find QOM RCTQ patterns?
How is QuiltPro for designing your own blocks?

I'm making Quilts of Valour for wounded soldiers. See
www.quiltsforsoldiers.com. My first QOV was called Vroom, Vroom is at
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/lhfree...=/2a1a&.src=ph

My 22-year old niece is working on her third quilt, the second was for a
soldier. I laugh because a transient student hasn't got much space for a
fabric collection, but collecting she is!

This is my first post here. If I can get into the QOM I'll be around a lot.

Susan

Old March 22nd 05, 07:11 PM
Melissa in NJ

Oh oh oh I know the RCTQ Block of the Month (BOM) Answer!!!!

Our 2005-2006 RCTQ BOM runs from February 2005 - March 2006 on this
schedule:
February 2005-January 2006: Monthly blocks
February 2006: Completing the Top (setting,sashing, borders, etc.)
March 2006: Completing the Quilt (quilting, binding, labeling, etc.) - Done!

It's not too late to join:

February's blocks a
=================
Pieced (12" finished):
http://www.quilterscache.com/V_Z/Wat...tionBlock.html

Applique (8" finished):
http://www.quilterscache.com/D_F/FolkFeathersBlock.html

March's Blocks a
===============
Pieced (12" finished):
http://www.quilterscache.com/A_C/AntiqueTileBlock.html

Applique (8" finished):
http://quiltmaker.com/patterns/patt99/
The instructions are for a 6" block with very little whitespace around the
design, just make your background fabric 8" rather than 6", or if you want,
size up the block on a copier to 133%. NOTE: If you want to keep the same
look to the applique blocks, piece the background in the same manner as you
did for February's block, as I don't think any of the future applique ones
specify that type of background.

April's blocks a
==============
Haha just kidding...they aren't released yet!!!!

If you'd like to see the gallery thus far visit:
=================================
To see pictures of each month's completed blocks navigate to the following
URL (Thanks Teri!):
http://gallery.ppwp.com/gallery/album11

To submit pictures, email Teri at: teri at terbear dot com

At the end of the BOM year I'll create a gallery website for the completed
quilts.
=============

Hope this helps and hope you join in!

Melissa in NJ, BOM Host

--
Pics of My Quilts:
http://community.webshots.com/user/quiltngryhndlady

Quilt Something for Yourself!
--
Remove STOPCRAP to reply
--

nk.net...

Old March 22nd 05, 07:14 PM
Melissa in NJ

Small correction, the RCTQ BOM picture URL is now:

http://gallery.ppwp.com/gallery/RCTQ-BOM

Melissa in NJ

Old March 22nd 05, 07:32 PM
Betsy Ross

Thanks Melissa. Are there two quilts, 8" and 12"?

I have already downloaded the blocks. My niece is going to join us.

Susan in Alameda, CA

Old March 22nd 05, 07:47 PM
Julia in MN

Ross wrote:
Is there a FAQ?

The FAQs for this group are posted monthly; you can find them using
google. Here's a link to one copy:
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...fc4c2e69aBetsy

Where do I find QOM RCTQ patterns?

Melissa posts a link to the directions for the block for each month on
the first of the month. You should be able to find them using google to
search the newsgroup for BOM. When I have completed each block, I put a
picture of it along with a link to the directions on my website; my BOM
pictures are at http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/BOM2005.html

How is QuiltPro for designing your own blocks?

I just upgraded from QuiltPro version 3 to version 5. I haven't used v5
much, but I did use v3 quite a bit. I find that it works quite well for
both blocks and quilts. If you don't already have Quilt Pro, you may
want to also take a look at Electric Quilt. Lots of people like that
one, too.

Julia in MN

http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/

Old March 22nd 05, 07:51 PM
Melissa in NJ

Depends on what you'd like to do. I myself am making both and have figured
out a setting that will house both the pieced blocks at 12" and the applique
at 8". I'll share that when we get to the quilt top month part of the
process. But any setting you like will work. Some people aren't doing
applique at all. Some both. Some may make two quilts or one in a totally
different setting. It's all up to you!!!

Welcome to you to RCTQ and to the BOM and to your niece as well!!

Melissa in NJ

--
Pics of My Quilts:
http://community.webshots.com/user/quiltngryhndlady

Quilt Something for Yourself!
--
Remove STOPCRAP to reply
--

ink.net...

Old March 22nd 05, 10:17 PM
Patti

Welcome Susan
It's not too late to join in (I'm going to do mine in batches of three
or four!)
Hope to see you and your niece around.
..
In message et, Betsy
Ross writes
Is there a FAQ?
Where do I find QOM RCTQ patterns?
How is QuiltPro for designing your own blocks?

I'm making Quilts of Valour for wounded soldiers. See
www.quiltsforsoldiers.com. My first QOV was called Vroom, Vroom is at
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/lhfree...=/2a1a&.src=ph

My 22-year old niece is working on her third quilt, the second was for a
soldier. I laugh because a transient student hasn't got much space for a
fabric collection, but collecting she is!

This is my first post here. If I can get into the QOM I'll be around a lot.

Susan

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old March 23rd 05, 01:53 PM
frood

Just the FAQs, ma'am.

RCTQ FAQ

Welcome to RCTQ, a usenet discussion group of
quilters. We want to read all about your quilting activites, and
welcome questions. We may even come up with some helpful answers!
But we do have a few requests, to keep this NG moving along. We
ask that you do not post pictures here, but we love to click on links to see
your quilts
elsewhere. Please, no advertising .rec.crafts.textiles.marketplace is the
appropriate place for ads.

Do your best to remember to put OT in the
subject line of off topic posts. Try to remember to trim the original post
to the most relevant bits.

What is a Hug, and how do I contribute?
Hugs are quilts made by this group to help someone through a life altering
event, and let them know how much we care. Karen, Queen of Squishies,
maintains a Hug list. When a Hug quilt is needed someone will contact Karen,
and she in turn sends an email to
everyone on the Hug List with instructions and color preferences, date due,
and the reason for the Hug. Its always your choice to participate or not.
Hugs can be made without going through Karen and the list as well. Anyone is
welcome to start a Hug,
when they feel the need is enough. A very touching explanation of Hugs will
follow in post in this thread.

What is a Squishie?
A squishie is an envelope that comes to you, thats slightly fat and
squishie. It can be a bit of fabric someone knows you'll love, or a birthday
surprise, the main thing is that when a squishie comes in the mail it makes
you feel like smiling. The same thing happens when you send them out, oddly
enough! When thanking someone for a squishie please try to contact them
privately, off the list. If you arent able to most of us don't mind sharing
in the joy of a public thank you. A follow up post with a more eloquent
explanation will follow this post.

What is a Thunkie?
Its similar to a squishie but it can thunk instead of squish and hold
interesting things related to quilting, like chocolate or special things we
quilters find indespensible for quilting.

What are all those abbreviations?
LQS Local quilt store
TSWLTH The store we love to hate aka Joann fabrics.
DH, DS, DD, DSM Dear Husband (or dratted, danged etc.) Dear Son or Dear
Sister, Dear Daughter, Dear Sweet Mother.
S.E.X. we use this manner of spelling to discourage trolls from seeing it...
it means Stash Enhancement eXpedition or fabric shopping!

What is the Directory or how do I get someone's address?
A directory of everyone who chooses to be in it is updated two times a
year. Watch the newsgroup for posting about the next update. Only people who
are listed in the directory are allowed to have it. No one is allowed to
give the information in the directory out to anyone who isnt in it. Not
everyone chooses to be in the directory, so how do you get someone's
address? Ask them for it. Its ok, it wont spoil the surprise if you wait
till they forget you asked. Or, ask someone else to ask the person if its ok
to share their address with you. Be sneaky. Its ok.

Trolls and flame wars... what are they and what can be done about them?
Trolls come to groups to try to stir up trouble. The best advice is
ignore them. Its fun to poke at them or treat them as legitimate posters but
they thrive on attention.
Flame wars are discussions that get out of control and angry words
are hurled about with abandon. Its easy to get caught up in the heat and say
things that are regretted later. We all have bad days. All of our words are
open to interpetation, lets all try to give people the benefit of the doubt
and believe the best of them and their posts.

How do I find an old post?
Go to
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...roup=rec.craft
..textiles.quilting or use http://tinyurl.com/rab3 , thats the url made
easier,.and use the search option, remembering to use the "look in this
group only" function. If you still cant find the information youre looking
for then feel free to ask the group.

Please take the time to read the followup posts in this thread. Some of the
most touching tributes to this group and the love we generate is there for
you to savor. Good info on picking out a good sewing machine will be found
there too.

--
Sewing Machine FAQ

Here is a compilation of a lot of what others have already about buying a
first machine, plus a couple of other comments. This FAQ also applies to
those
who are in the market for a new machine, having used one particular model
for a few(?) years. Many thanks to Salley Holmes and Lee Hinton for
helping me get this together.

First, if you're considering buying a machine as a gift for someone else,
the consensus is that you should give, perhaps, a card or a spool of
thread as a token of your willingness help to enable the recipient to
choose the machine that suits him/her best. By all means do some homework
to help him/her to narrow the choice down, but a sewing machine is a
personal item that should be chosen by the person who's going to use it.
Here are some questions to ask yourself before you shop:

- How and what do you sew? Are you interested in sewing clothes, home
decor items (slipcovers, curtains, etc.), sports costumes like skating,
etc.
- Do you want an embroidery machine? IS IT SOMETHING YOU WOULD USE OR
JUST SOMETHING YOU WANT? This is an important distinction to make.
- What feature(s) would you use and need? (Why pay money for
things you don't need and don't want?) If you do mostly quilting, then
maybe you only need a few stitches rather than a whole array of stitches.
- How easy it is for you to learn programming (a must in some machines)?
- How large a machine do you want (will you be taking it places), does
it pack up easily if you need to take it someplace?
- What kind of classes are given?
- Does it have a freearm and do you need one, what kind of extra feet
are available that you need, etc.
- Do I need a machine that can be updated with new cards, attachments,
programs, etc.?
- Warranty

Now, which machine is the best one?

There's no such thing as the one best machine just as there's no such
thing as the one best car. This FAQ can only give general advice because
there are so many sewing machine manufacturers and models out there. Once
you've narrowed your choices down you may be able to get advice on
specific models or even dealers from the alt.sewing,
rec.crafts.textiles.sewing, alt.sewing.mach-embroider (if you are looking
at embroidery machines) or uk.rec.crafts.sewing newsgroups.

Having said that, nearly every maker makes wonderful machines ... but they
all have had periods where they have made junk. You might want to read
your national consumer magazine to see if they have recently reported on
sewing machines - this would be a good place to at least start. Sewing
magazines occasionally run such features, too, so check them. Remember,
though, that no survey can cover all the available machines, and that a
sewing machine is a very personal item. What suits a reviewer may not suit
you. And talk to friends who sew to get their opinion on which makes are
reliable. After that, the person who is going to use the machine should
be the person to pick out what they want, within the constraints of your
budget, of course.

Your budget may limit your choices, but especially if you are new to
sewing, I would suggest going for an all purpose reliable machine with
fewer stitches rather than a machine with lots of stitches, but also turns
out to be picky about the type of thread you use, won't sew on thick or
thin fabrics, and sulks and chews the fabric up if you dare to LOOK at it
wrong. You need to know that your machine will be reliable or learning to
use it will be a very frustrating experience. Whilst it's a waste of money
to buy features you won't use, it's also false economy to buy a machine
that you'll "grow out of" if you can afford one with more features.

Unless you get a fabulous bargain in a private sale, one thing to also
consider is the dealer from whom you buy. A good, honest, reliable dealer
can help make your sewing experience wonderful, and help you pick the
right machine for YOU. Some dealers offer a trade-in/trade-up policy where
if you decide after a few months that you'd like a fancier machine, the
dealer will credit all or a large part of the cost of your initial
purchase to a better machine. Don't be taken in by the claims that
all-metal interiors are better than plastic: there's cheap plastic, which
may crack and warp, and there's nylon, which is lighter than and as
hard-wearing as metal and doesn't need lubricating.

The most basic machines are straight-stitch only, and old ones can be
picked up very cheaply from sale rooms, some sewing machine dealers, and
garage/car boot sales. The next step up is a machine that does zigzag
stitching. The basic zigzag machines usually do some sort of blind hem
stitch and maybe a couple of decorative stitches. Even if they don't have
a built-in buttonhole you can do a manual buttonhole with a basic zig zag
machine, but it's no fun after the first few. If you are planning to sew
a lot of clothes, buying a machine that has an easy buttonhole maker may
make good sense.

After that, the number of stitches increases (along with the price) and
you are in the realm of medium to high end sewing machines. Electronic
machines give the same penetrating power at all speeds and usually a
needle stop up/down option. Right at the top end, for several thousand
pounds/dollars you can buy a machine that will connect to your computer
and embroider images that you've designed on the PC.

However much you're planning to spend, you'll get more for your money if
you buy second-hand. People often trade in their old machine when they buy
a new one. A trade-in will be much cheaper than the same machine when new,
and if it's been serviced by the dealer and has a dealer's guarantee it
should be fine. There isn't much to go wrong with sewing machines. Unless
one has really been hammered - used non-stop - parts don't seem to wear.
Check the finish of the paint: if it's worn or has lots of nicks from
pins, it's probably been used a lot.

When you go to test-drive machines, take along samples of the type of
fabrics you'll be sewing. Dealers often use a stiffened felt-type fabric
for demonstrating their machines: almost anything will sew well on it.
Take samples of light-weight fabric such as fine sheeting or voile, and
some heavy-weight such as upholstery or denim. If you have a pair of old
jeans, cut off the leg and try sewing over the bulky seam. Also try out
the sort of things you'll be sewing - do you use a lot of zippers? You'll
need to test the zipper foot. Buttons mean checking the buttonhole
facility. Make sure that YOU do the sewing - don't just watch the dealer
demonstrating. If the dealer won't let you sew on the machine, leave the
shop.

When you've decided which machine is for you, there's the price. You
wouldn't buy a car at the price on the windscreen, would you? Well, a
sewing machine is just the same. Haggle (nicely). It isn't rude: it's good
business practice. Every pound/dollar you get knocked off the price is
another spool of thread to use on your new machine. Ask "Will you take
£xxx for cash?" "Will you throw in the xxx foot for that price?" Say
"That's more than my husband/wife/anyone else who isn't there wants me to
spend - can you knock something off?" "I like this, but machine xxx at
dealer yyy is nice too, and it's less". Don't push too hard, though: you
need after-sales support.

If you want extra feet, the quilting kit, or lessons, now is the time to
negotiate for them. You may be able to get them thrown in or at least
reduced in price.

If you're buying a lower-end machine, a good bargaining tool is to make it
clear to the dealer that you'll come back to him/her when you're ready to
upgrade to a fancier model. You don't have to tell him that it may not be
within this lifetime.

There's a frequent debate in sewing newsgroups about buying on-line. You
may be able to save a lot of money, but it will be at the expense of local
support. A machine bought on-line may not have a valid warranty. You have
to decide whether the money you'll save is worth the support and warranty.

Once you've got your new machine home, take care of it. Clean it out at
the end of every project, and give it a nice new needle after every 6
hours of sewing. Protect your investment by using good-quality thread and
needles. Oil it if the manual tells you to, and do bring it in to be
serviced if you notice something is wrong.

Most of all, tho, enjoy your new hobby!

--
Wendy
de-fang email address to reply

Old March 23rd 05, 04:19 PM
SNIGDIBBLY

I WANNA DO THIS!! I've got the applique blocks done. Do I post them in my
album or do I send them direct to Ms. Teri?

I finished another UFO - It's called "Makin' Memories". It's comprised of
spool blocks made during a block exchange at our local guild and the center
is an appliqued scene of a group of women quilting around a quilting frame.
I found the picture in a magazine and blew it up on the copier and traced it
on muslin. At the time I started this quilt I met with a group of ladies to
quilt and gossip not far from my house. One of the ladies sold fabric out
of her garage and we met there. She only had it open after she got off work
and all day Saturday. It didn't work out for her because she and her
husband separated & divorced. She remarried and then the group dissolved.
The ladies in the appliqued block were symbolic representations of that
group of quilters. The name of her shop was Makin' Memories.
SNIGDIBBLY
~e~
"
/ \

[...]