OT -- Damn Cold

Old January 12th 05, 04:02 AM
Christina Peterson

Default OT -- Damn Cold

At the end of last week the weather was strangely warm. Close to freezing.
And a lot of snow for here. Over a foot of fine snow. Here if you get 3
inches one day and 4 the next, it doesn't melt and compact leaving you with
just a couple inches. The snow in the driveway got all mushy and icy. We
barely made it out of the driveway, so we left the car at the top of the
driveway. Still waiting for the snow plow guy, whose brake hose had broken,
to clear the driveway.

The temps started back down on Saturday, even colder Sunday. Yesterday the
temp was down to -20F, so they told us. All day we could hear the logs in
the house popping, cracking, checking. We could feel those pops shuddering
all through the house. I'm sure part of that was the change from almost
freezing, and the differential from the temp of the interior of the house.
As it got colder we could hear some of the trees outside cracking too.

Today it was even colder. Minus 40 this morning, on either scale. The
water froze up last night. We can't seal in the heat under the house
because that would cause the soil/perma-frost under the house to melt and
the land to drop away from under it. It's bad enough just from global
warming.

So today we have frozen water, the car frozen at the top of the driveway,
and it close to 50 below. We even have frost on the inside of the door and
window frames. The heat is going, the fire is burning, the snow is melting
in a pot on the stove.

As my Athabaskan "cousin" (niece's mom) said. Yup, that's Alaska.

Tina

Old January 12th 05, 05:09 AM
Polly Stewart

Christina Peterson wrote:

So today we have frozen water, the car frozen at the top of the driveway,
and it close to 50 below. We even have frost on the inside of the door and

eeeeeeek... I take back everything I said about missing the cold and snow!!!

Polly
=====
with apologies to those 'in' it!
Old January 12th 05, 01:10 PM
Peggy

I'm glad you defined "strangely warm," because I never would have guessed!
So sorry your pipes have frozen. When you said you couldn't seal the heat
under the house, do you mean you have something like a crawl space with open
vents?

I heard about an isolated town somewhere in northern Alaska where the
residents are without electricity because the heavy snows snapped all of
their electrical lines. I immediately thought of you. Hope it "warms up"
soon.

Old January 12th 05, 01:58 PM
Diana Curtis

Thank you for making me feel positively warm today. We have sleet and rain
and snow coming down. Its 27 above zero today, and its likely to get to 20
below by Thursday night. Yep.. this feels toasty now.
Diana

--
Weird people need beads, too

Old January 12th 05, 03:59 PM
Dr. Sooz

=:-O

Old January 12th 05, 05:41 PM
Kandice Seeber

Jeeeez!!! Stay safe and warm! Ouch!

--
Kandice Seeber
Air & Earth Designs

Old January 12th 05, 07:03 PM
Marisa Cappetta

Holy Hell Tina. Makes Christchurch winter sound like the tropics. Stay warm.

--
Marisa (AU/NZ)
www.galleryvittoria.com

Old January 12th 05, 11:06 PM
Christina Peterson

Real time in Fairbanks.
http://www.arcticcam.com/cam.html
To the left in the picture, the road crosses a bridge into down town, hidden
by ice fog.

Tina

Old January 13th 05, 12:09 AM
Diana Curtis

That looks so cold and damp. And dark.... why do we live in places that get
so nasty in winter?
Diana

--
Weird people need beads, too

Old January 13th 05, 12:52 AM
Christina Peterson

I have an un-enclosed crawl space under the house, with a mesh of lathes
over it to keep out critters. That's the standard when you build on frozen
ground -- permafrost, or in my case more specifically an ice lens. Houses
on perma-frost that are not up off the ground with (cold) air circulating
beneath them, just sink into the ground. For the oil pipeline, mechanical
refrigerating/freezing devices are installed. Before they did that, the
pipeline would wander, like a hose will snake around when it is left on,
lying on the grass.

I think the Coast Guard has brought more fuel to Kaktovik. Up there, beyond
the timberline, there is not the option of cutting down trees to burn.

Tina

"Peggy" wrote in message
[...]

Quick Story - Damn that kid is perceptive! starlia Beads 0 July 21st 04 06:41 AM
OT Snow sucks. Cold sucks. I am SO over this. Tinkster Beads 55 February 4th 04 05:36 PM
It's COLD Christina Peterson Beads 4 January 19th 04 12:58 PM
AAAAAAGH! Damn elastic! Lee S. Billings Beads 11 December 30th 03 05:58 PM