Question about company DMC

Old February 6th 09, 07:11 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Barbara[_4_]

Default Question about company DMC

Since all the stores seem to be getting rid of DMC Floss.
(walmart,hancock) Are they going out of Business
Barbara
Old February 6th 09, 07:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Jenn Ridley

Barbara wrote:

Since all the stores seem to be getting rid of DMC Floss.
(walmart,hancock) Are they going out of Business

It seems unlikely.

DMC's US distribution system has been skewing toward needlework stores
for the last decade or so, as the big box stores started getting more
demanding.

DMC has been being pressured by W*M, et al, to drop the cost of floss
to them every year, and (iirc) W*M and Hancock's have been losing
money on each skein of floss, making it up on other things purchased.
W*M especially is all about 'cheaper this year than last'. At some
point, the suppliers either go broke or stop supplying them. HF
started down that path a few years ago -- their prices dropped, but
the quality of items dropped even further. (HF stopped carrying
VoguePatterns at one point because Vogue wouldn't give them the same
purchasing discount as McCall would (this was before McCall bought
Vogue/Butterick).)

Most JoAnns and Michael's still carry DMC (at higher prices than W*M
and HF) although some of the smaller stores may not have the full
collection.

jenn

--
Jenn Ridley :
WIP: Poppies (Art-Stitch), two knitted tops, Oriental Butterfly
Old February 6th 09, 11:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
ellice

On 2/6/09 5:28 PM, "Barbara" wrote:

Jenn Ridley wrote:
Barbara wrote:

[...]

Thank You very much for the information.Since I do not have a chain that
carries the Floss. I have my daughter purchase for from AC More and
Michaels.
Have a local fabric store(that just opened 3 months ago) that carries a
little of the colors at 70 cent piece.If I run out great place to go,if
I need one or two.
Barbara

You could likely do well just ordering it on-line, or over the phone from
some LNS. I know the shop I used to manage, she'll send it - the price in
some LNS has gone up again - but IIRC this one just went to 4/$2 or 5/$2.5
or 55 cents a skein for less quantity. Same for Anchor. Had been 45 cents
a skein, 5 for $2, but she just raised it.

Ellice

Old February 7th 09, 01:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak

On 2/6/09 2:52 PM, in article ,
"Jenn Ridley" wrote:

Barbara wrote:

[...]

Hi Jenn,

Nice to see you!

AC Moore has also done a deal of some sort with DMC, as they are the only
"big box craft store" carrying the full line of Variations and something
else my sleepy brain won't remember. (maybe the games) I don't go into
Michaels much anymore, but I don't recall seeing the "Satin" line there
either.

Cheryl

Old February 7th 09, 04:19 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Jenn Ridley

Cheryl Isaak wrote:

Hi Jenn,

Nice to see you!

I've been around, still reading, but not posting much.....

AC Moore has also done a deal of some sort with DMC, as they are the only
"big box craft store" carrying the full line of Variations and something
else my sleepy brain won't remember. (maybe the games) I don't go into
Michaels much anymore, but I don't recall seeing the "Satin" line there
either.

We don't have an ACMoore, and I don't go into Michaels' much either --
neither of two in the area is all that convenient, and with the stash
I have, there's no reason for me to go browsing....

jenn

Old February 7th 09, 04:30 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak

On 2/7/09 11:19 AM, in article ,
"Jenn Ridley" wrote:

Cheryl Isaak wrote:

Hi Jenn,

Nice to see you!

I've been around, still reading, but not posting much.....

And how are the kids?

Old February 8th 09, 08:38 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
J. H. T./B.D.P.

Funny thing about *Wally-World* is that in Canada they only had
Anchor floss as the main line and some other cheap lines in bulk
pack for the rest. But even Anchor floss has been dropped here,
so it is not just DMC.

I did work for them years ago, and had some of the department
manager training. Like noted below, they are about this 'lower
still' thinking. If I remember floss was not a loss leader item for
them, think it was 20-40% profit rate range,.

As noted, the supplier stopped supplying or went broke [in some
cases were bought up by them]. Some suppliers are getting ****ed
off with them trying to set their own wholesale price where there
is no profit for the supplier to even deal with them in large orders.
And those other companies are trying to do the same business
plans when dealing with suppliers using the some of the same
dirty business methods........'sell it to us at our price in large
quantities
or we'll cancel the order' which sounds good at first but when you
figure it actually out you are either just breaking even or so little
profit that your company will never go anywhere.

Look at the dealing they are doing to their store-brand soft drink
supplier, they are cutting how much that is bought from the main
supplier but having some others to make the rest of the same
drinks. Now the supplier is stuck, and worried how to keep
their profits and staff levels which likely will end up being cut.
And it has nothing to do with that supplier can't keep up with the
amount of product needed, they can and are doing enough.

If you want to see some of the way they do their dealings, then
either look on the TV or find the video[s] about W*M corp. There
is one that has a section where a new supplier tries to sell to the
company. They are followed all the way through the dealings,
even when they are called back after the order is done at the
original pricing and told that W*M can't take it at the price but
at their price. Now this newer company has already started
getting things made and would be stuck with this very large
order of thousands of pieces unless they said yes to the "new"
price deal. They had a small profit to start, but they end up with
about a third of that in the end.

Old February 9th 09, 12:08 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak

On 2/7/09 9:39 PM, in article ,
"Jenn Ridley" wrote:

Cheryl Isaak wrote:

On 2/7/09 11:19 AM, in article
,
"Jenn Ridley" wrote:

Cheryl Isaak wrote:

Hi Jenn,

Nice to see you!

I've been around, still reading, but not posting much.....

And how are the kids?

DD is a senior now(!), and a band geek. Off to college in the fall,
still hasn't decided where exactly -- been accepted at four and a
community college, so she's got choices.

Oh my goodness.

DS in 6th grade, turning into a band geek, and doing TKD.

And again! Band Geek in my town tends to a be family trait. And given the
amount of traveling the Londonderry Marching Band does, I am most grateful
mine aren't interested.

http://lancermusic.org/

I'm doing some needlework still, but I've joined a community band and
started knitting again, and my workroom was dismantled so we could
actually *finish* the basement, so I lost a lot of stitching momentum.
Need to get back into the swing of things.

I've been wondering about turning a bit of my basement into a craft area for
myself. Some place where I have room to leave "stuff" out and not have it be
in the way.

Cheryl