RGT vs. GEL vs. Walmer vs HJB vs Celerity

Old January 27th 04, 04:05 AM
Cathy Weeks

Default RGT vs. GEL vs. Walmer vs HJB vs Celerity

Hi all,
After the dollhouse that I built while in college was destroyed in a
fire, insurance is going to replace it. After reading messages here
for a few days, I decided to go with a house that has 3/8" wood.
There are models that I like in all of these lines: RGT, GEL, Walmer,
Celerity. I also like some HJB houses, though they aren't kits.

Does anyone have experience with all of these companies? Any specific
recommendations? Durability is important. Ease of building is nice,
and not having to do a lot of sanding is also really nice.

Cathy Weeks
Old January 27th 04, 04:11 AM
Carol

"Cathy Weeks" wrote in message
om...
Hi all,
After the dollhouse that I built while in college was destroyed in a
fire, insurance is going to replace it. After reading messages here
for a few days, I decided to go with a house that has 3/8" wood.
There are models that I like in all of these lines: RGT, GEL, Walmer,
Celerity. I also like some HJB houses, though they aren't kits.

Does anyone have experience with all of these companies? Any specific
recommendations? Durability is important. Ease of building is nice,
and not having to do a lot of sanding is also really nice.

Cathy Weeks

If I'm not mistaken RGT has a lot MDF rather than plywood if that matters.
I don't know if the other also have as many companies have switched from
wood to MDF and I don't sell many kits.
The more expensive Walmer's (Foxhall Manor) are beautiful and a joy to put
together. RGT's are also easy to put together. I have a little HJB cottage
which is nicely made. I don't know about GEL.

It may come down to which brand has the style house you want.

Carol
S P Miniatures
http://www.spminiatures.com

Old January 31st 04, 10:03 PM
Charles O'Neill

I just finished a RGT toys kit. Their kits are generally available in
either MDF or plywood. Your choice- - MDF is slightly cheaper - and
heavier. I went for the milled plywood which gives you instant clapboard
siding on the exterior of your house. Looks great.

I am very satisfied with the completed dollhouse - as are my
granddaughters. Took more time and money to complete than I had
expected. I starting working in earnest on it in October - aiming for a
Christmas completion. Made Christmas, but the dollhouse absolutely
consumed me during the month of December (worked on the dollhouse
weekends and nights). I'd wake up at 3 o'clock in the morning worrying
about finishing it - and downstairs I crept to get an hour or two of
work in before I had to leave for my real work.

It wasn't too hard to build, but having never built a dollhouse before,
I had to do a lot of reading and figuring out before I went on to a new
step (like wallpapering - or - dealing with the windows which were
thicker than the walls - or - figuring out which were REALLY the best
types of glue to use.) I also ignored some of the instructions for my
own, I thought, better way.

As for sanding - - I sanded everything - but it was usually just a
finish sanding, with most of the parts pretty smooth already. Sanded
between coats of paint.

If I had to do it again, I'd do it again -- go with another RGT kit.
And this time, I'd probably be able to whiz through it much faster.