very OT Spam

Old December 16th 03, 12:29 AM
G.Kelly

Default very OT Spam

I notice many of our group mention spam - I used to be really troubled with
this - getting many times over a hundred a day which not only annoyed but
filled up the capacity for the in box. When I was going on my hols I asked
Shauna ( my computer expert DD) if there was anything I could do as I
figured that I would not be able to get on the internet very often and
therefore would be very lucky if I got one single message I wanted,

The result is that Shauna did something , and now I do not get one single
spam item - and I am very glad to not receive the nasty ones in particular.
If any one is interested I will ask her the secret. She is home now having
got back from New York where Microsoft flew her over for a week to the
launching of their new software so she will be available for me to quiz.
God Bless Gwen

--

Gwen Kelly

Old December 16th 03, 03:14 AM
Janise Ross

I would be very interested in knowing what she did, Gwen. Please let me
know if you can. Thank you!!!!!

Janise

Old December 16th 03, 05:20 AM
Shillelagh

I would like to know too, as I get over 100 a day.

I use Mailwasher to help manage the spam, but would like it even better if
I didn't see the stuff at all. It's probably time to use a firewall. Maybe
she set one up for you.

Shelagh

Old December 16th 03, 09:01 AM
G.Kelly

Janise and Shelagh,I will find out what Shauna did - I already had Zone
Alarm as a fire wall and Hotmail had what they call a junk mail folder into
which a lot went but it still left me with at least a 100 a day. I will
let you know as soon as I can find out God bless Gwen

--

Gwen Kelly

Old December 16th 03, 01:56 PM
Yarn Forward

The problem with all these spam filters is that they either let some spam
through, or they delete stuff you want to see. The computer is still not as
intelligent as a human. Case in point - we send out an email newsletter only to
people who subscribe. We test the newsletter using commonly used spam filters
to make sure it will not be seen as spam. In fact it gets a very low spam
rating. Still people who asked for the newsletter find it gets deleted by their
organisation or ISP.

Roger.

G.Kelly wrote:

[...]

Your On Line Yarn Store
http://www.yarnforward.com

Old December 16th 03, 02:21 PM
Noreen's Knit*che

On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 08:56:37 -0500, Yarn Forward wrote:

The problem with all these spam filters is that they either let some spam
through, or they delete stuff you want to see. The computer is still not as
intelligent as a human. Case in point - we send out an email newsletter only to
people who subscribe. We test the newsletter using commonly used spam filters
to make sure it will not be seen as spam. In fact it gets a very low spam
rating. Still people who asked for the newsletter find it gets deleted by their
organisation or ISP.

Roger.

Hi Roger, FTR, I 'got' mine, and I have spam-filters galore! I just put YF
in my accepted sender's list....
Noreen
FTR=for the record...

--
STRIP * tease * to email me.
Old December 16th 03, 07:45 PM
Els van Dam

In article , Yarn Forward
wrote:

The problem with all these spam filters is that they either let some spam
through, or they delete stuff you want to see. The computer is still not as
intelligent as a human. Case in point - we send out an email newsletter

only to
people who subscribe. We test the newsletter using commonly used spam

filters
to make sure it will not be seen as spam. In fact it gets a very low spam
rating. Still people who asked for the newsletter find it gets deleted

by their
organisation or ISP.

Roger.

Working on a Mac, I use Eudora for E-mail, and love it. There is a filer
part to it, but for the life of me I can't get it to work.

Now I just delete all spam mannually, not opening any of it. When there
is a lot, it does take time, most of the time it is no more dan 10. I can
handle it. I could subscribe with my surfer to have all spam blocked.
When I tried it for a week, I found that spam was deleted, but also many
good messages, so I obted out. You are right Roger, computers do not act
like humans yet......lucky us....

Els

--
I have added a trap for spammers......niet.....
Old December 16th 03, 08:11 PM
B Vaughan

wrote:

The problem with all these spam filters is that they either let some spam
through, or they delete stuff you want to see. The computer is still not as
intelligent as a human. Case in point - we send out an email newsletter only to
people who subscribe. We test the newsletter using commonly used spam filters
to make sure it will not be seen as spam. In fact it gets a very low spam
rating. Still people who asked for the newsletter find it gets deleted by their
organisation or ISP.

Something really funny: I upgraded to Mailwasher Pro so that I could
check multiple accounts. Now I get their newsletter, which Mailwasher
always labels as suspicious, and warns that it may contain a virus!
--------
Barbara Vaughan

My email address is my first initial followed by my last name at libero dot it.

Old December 17th 03, 12:19 AM
JJMolvik

Oh, that is TOO funny.

JJMolvik