How to prevent making nicks and marks in wire?

Old November 24th 03, 03:22 AM
Jen

Default How to prevent making nicks and marks in wire?

Hello everybody!
I hope this topic has not yet been discussed to death, but I did a
search and nothing really came up, so...
How can I prevent nicks and marks from my pliers when I work with
wire?
I have tried several things that were suggested to me: I put both
masking tape and duck tape over the plieres. (Not at the same time, of
course.) While that was good in the beginning, the surface of both
eventually got destroyed and there wasn't really any protection any
more. Plus, the sticky stuff made the wire all nasty and slippery, so
it was actually harder to get a good grip. (And I had to clean the
sticky stuff off afterwards.)
Now somebody suggested to superglue thin leather on the gripping
surfaces of my pliers. Haven't yet tried it and hope for some input
from you. Does anybody know a foolproof solution? Thanks in advance.
Jennamyria
Old December 1st 03, 03:50 PM
Dave Arens

Hi Jennamyria,

How can I prevent nicks and marks from my pliers when I work with

wire?

Most times the marks you speak of are caused by the edges of the
pliers jaws. Typically, the jaw edges are a sharp 90 deg. They tend to
leave marks on wire when the wire is bent.

One way to eliminate or alleviate this problem is to round the edges
of the jaws just a little. I like to use 400 grit or finer wet dry
paper to sand the edges & remove the sharp edge.

The only other cause of marks created by wire is too strong a grip.
The way around this is to lighten your grip on the pliers. They should
be gripped just enough to prevent the wire from moving, not so much
that indentations a left in the wire. The right grip comes with
practice & experience.

Dave