Roll Call!

Old January 4th 05, 06:07 PM
Pat in Virginia

Hey Georg! Pat's Original Virginia Fife and Drum Corps
is joyfully playing the birthday song for you in warm &
sunny Virginia! January Girls Rock!
PAT IN VA/USA

georg wrote:
I'm Georg, female. With a name like that, one perhaps should specify.

I live near Binghamton NY, and all of my kids have fuzzy faces and four
feet. I'm 36 in another 2 hours, and it doesn't look likely to have the
other kind of kid. But I'm a devoted Aunt. I've been married over 8
years now.

I've been quilting for a while, but I do other needlework as well. I'm
in the SCA, if you know what that is and care. Other hobbies include
fermenting things, cheesemaking, garb making, and Calligraphy and
Illumination. I am multiple chemical sensitive, and violently alergic to
perfumes and other strong smells.

I collect privy-related things and research. Fabric preferences include
batiks, jewel tones, purples, blues, greens, and anything that isn't
floral.

I do modern all machine style quilting as well as completely by hand,
and my current insanity is a 1390 reproduction- all by hand with
authentic materials. I will *need* to do something modern when I finish
it! And I'm in process of a Dear Jane as a take along sewing project to
do by hand. Look for an Evil Sun Bonnet Sue Block come April.

-georg

Old January 4th 05, 06:14 PM
René

Hi! I love the ng, but don't get to read all of it, or post as often as
I'd like. I have some serious health problems and they seem to get worse
the older I get. But, what can you do, except carry on?

I'm 57 years old and am a retired RN. I had to retire early do to my
disabilities.

My great gramma taught me to crochet. She was blind, though, so the way I
learned is a bit different. I never need to look at my hands, as
everything is done by "feel." My mother taught me to knit when I was
12 -- the European way, and I enjoy knitting, except I find that the
arthritis in my hands get a little riled up when I get those needles
going.

I always wanted to quilt, and finally took a 12 week class at a local
college. Quilting satisfies every creative bone in my body. I love
designing, choosing colors and fabrics and making usable quilts. I like
the pretty ones, but they have to be practical. The only quilts I baby
are antique ones. My favorites are a 1930's star pattern quilt made by my
step-father's mother. Then I have 2 pillow cases of Victorian style Crazy
quilting that my GGM made of old men's silk ties. The quilting thread
(embroidery floss) is always very colorful. She used up whatever bits and
pieces she had. Her frugal style is distinctive enough that all the women
in my family know immediately who the maker was when one of her projects
appear.

I live in Des Moines, Iowa, Been here since 1998, and am now living in an
apartment with my daughter. She's gone back to college, so we enjoy
living together again. We've always had a lot of fun together.

My DS and DDIL live next door -- just down our hallway and the first
apartment you come to. This works out wonderfully for me because they
have my first DGD, aged 3, and are going to have my second DGD any day
now. Yay! for Grandchildren!!

I kicked my husband out nearly 3 years ago. We are still married -- 37
years. Our family went through a big crisis in 1998 and it was extremely
stressful. I had a nervous breakdown because of it, and still haven't
truly recovered.

Before we moved to Iowa, we all lived in Montana, which is where all of us
were born and raised in. It will always be "Home" for us. If my health
ever improves I'd like to go back, but there aren't that many doctors
there, and you have to drive long distances to get to them.

I have a Bernina 1630 Sewing Machine, and a Bernina Deco Embroidery
Machine. These two machines should last me the rest of my life and my
daughter has already laid claim to them!

I love appliqué and piecing, traditional and children's. I'm not too sure
about art quilts. I always think, "They're pretty, but what Do They Do?"
My hand quilting is OK, and when I found Tiger Tape, I thought the
manufacturers must have seen me squinting and frowning some time when I
was trying to do some hand quilting outdoors.

My favorite fabrics are Batiks and vintage 30's era. For such a dark
time, those ladies sure knew how to brighten up their lives with those
great flour sacks. I truly admire them.

I love color -- the more the better. The only color I buy only if I need
it for a specific piece is orange. Not my favorite, but if used in small
amounts and as a bright highlight, it's OK. I *love* the jewel tones --
magenta, purple, royal blue, violet, ruby red, peridot green, etc.

I've been collecting fabric nearly my entire life. I made many of my own
clothes in high school and also my dress to wear on our honeymoon trip.
About that time I learned to self-line my dresses so I wouldn't have to
bother about slips and droopy straps. I'd make my own purses to
coordinate with my outfits. I made most of my DD's school clothes and
good clothes for church.

Other things I love to do are oil-painting and water color paintings. I
did some tole painting in a class a few years ago and that was fun, too.
I'm the family historian and have been putting together our genealogy
since I was 15.

I'm half French-Canadian-Indian (Chippewa), on my father's side. My
mother was of Danish-Swedish-Norwegian descent. I got her very fair skin,
but I got everything else from my father. I have dark brown hair (very
little gray yet) and though I wear Ivory foundation, I tan in minutes in
the summer. That's when I look like my Native American grandmother.

So -- you probably know more about me than you wanted to know. But I am
interested in other people and want to get to know you all more. (I don't
Peep, though!) LOL

Happy Stitchin' and Take Care!

René

"frood" wrote in message
news
As newbies come and introduce themselves, we all say "hi" back to them.

But,
while we learn a bit about them, they don't get to know us very easily.

(ok,
except for a few gabby folks.... ;-P ) So, as a start to a new year,

thought it would be fun to tell a bit about ourselves, and get to know

each
other. I'm sure the newbies aren't the only one trying to keep the

players
straight without a score card!

Ok, here goes! I'm Wendy, posting as "frood". I live in Central NC, USA.

I'm
married to a fabulous man, and we have 5 kids, ranging from 13 to 4 yo
twins, known online as Spike and Giles. I've been quilting for about 7

or 8
years, mostly machine piecing and machine quilting. I love bright

colors,
and I collect vintage textiles.

--
Wendy
De-Fang email address to reply

Old January 4th 05, 06:41 PM
Sandy Foster

In article DPrCd.51022$KO5.26948@clgrps13,
Joanna wrote:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! Nice try sneaking that in there.
Take Care
Joanna

georg wrote:

I'm Georg, female. With a name like that, one perhaps should specify.

I live near Binghamton NY, and all of my kids have fuzzy faces and four
feet. I'm 36 in another 2 hours, and it doesn't look likely to have the
other kind of kid. But I'm a devoted Aunt. I've been married over 8
years now.

-georg

How stealthy can you get?? Happy birthday, Georg!
--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://home.earthlink.net/~sfoster1
Old January 4th 05, 06:43 PM
Pat in Virginia

Joy: Your whole family is beautiful ... all the
generations. So, what do you need to do for the Kona
Coffee Quilt Contest? I love Kona coffee!
PAT in VA/USA

Joy wrote:

Hi Sharon,
Thanks for the welcome back! Just for you =) I uploaded pics into webshots.
My mom is fair skinned and people literally stepped backward when she
introduced me to them at her Christmas choir performance as I announced,
"Yeah, I'm brown!" Hee hee. I don't know if I'm beautiful, but I'm in the
webshot album along with the kids:

http://community.webshots.com/user/joyjane

Have fun perusing!
A Joy in Hawaii

"Sharon Harper" wrote in message

Welcome home Joy - does this mean you are around for always now? BTW are
there any photos of you around anywhere - with the description you gave of
your heritage and having seen those gorgeous Hawaiin ladies in person I
can
only imagine your beautifulness. No, seriously!

--
Sharon from Melbourne Australia
Queen of Down Under

**********************

"Joy" wrote in message
.. .

"frood" wrote in message
news snipped:

As newbies come and introduce themselves, we all say "hi" back to them.
But, while we learn a bit about them, they don't get to know us very
easily. -- ...
Wendy
De-Fang email address to reply

Aloha! I'm Joy, posting as A Joy in Hawaii. I'm a 34 year old
Filipino/Native Hawaiian/Japanese/Cherokee/Welsh/Portuguese (wow, yeah?!)
woman that lives in Holualoa, HI (a part of Kona, HI) on a coffee farm

(no,

I don't have to pick it but you can find me sneaking a few coffee
cherries
to suck on for a quick pick me up, hee hee). I have three kidlets DD1 4
y.o.(almost 5), DD2 3 y.o. and DS1 20 months old. I'm working on getting

my

D(arn)H to agree to divorce so that I don't have to pay outrageous

attorney

fees. It's been a rough year for me all around with these ongoing
marital
problems and then my dad past away on November 18, just about a month and

half ago. I've gotten back to piecing but somehow I just can't get the
machine quilting thing going again. I do love to hand quilt, though. I
started quilting Hawaiian quilts and even had a job as a quilt

demonstrator

in Waikiki around 3 years ago which was really fun. I don't have any of

the

quilts I completed while active on RCTQ doing our monthly challenges with
the late Sue and I've lost the pictures of them that were on Webshots.
Oh
well, I'll get them back someday, I hope. RCTQers have been a great

support

to me and HUGged me and my kids 4 times over and blessed me with more
than

could imagine. At the moment, I am totally loving batiks and am planning

on

entering the Kona Coffee Quilt Contest in June using these batiks and
hand
dyed fabrics from Mardi. Most of my day is spent as a case manager for

the

severely and persistently mentally ill and evenings are with my 3
kidlets.
Very little time to do quilty things these days...besides read RCTQ posts

keep me sane =). So if you're new, welcome. If you've been around, I

guess

I'm back *grin*.
A Joy in Hawaii

Old January 4th 05, 06:55 PM
georg

Old January 4th 05, 07:20 PM
Sandy Foster

In article WpyCd.9084$232.4540@fed1read05,
"jeanbaby" jeanbaby @ cox.net wrote:

DH of 45 years this coming Sunday

How sneaky, Jean! You tucked this away where it wasn't going to be seen,
didn't you? g But Happy Anniversary! What a lovely long time to be
married!
Old January 4th 05, 07:23 PM
Sandy Foster

In article ,
"Joy" wrote:

Aloha! I'm Joy, posting as A Joy in Hawaii.

Welcome back, Joy!
Old January 4th 05, 07:28 PM
Sandy Foster

In article ,
"Joy" wrote:

Hi Sharon,
Thanks for the welcome back! Just for you =) I uploaded pics into webshots.
My mom is fair skinned and people literally stepped backward when she
introduced me to them at her Christmas choir performance as I announced,
"Yeah, I'm brown!" Hee hee. I don't know if I'm beautiful, but I'm in the
webshot album along with the kids:

http://community.webshots.com/user/joyjane

Have fun perusing!
A Joy in Hawaii

And it *was* fun! Your kids are adorable -- and Jojo's hair is amazing!

Old January 4th 05, 07:33 PM
steppdecke

I guess I am a newbie. I have been quilting for 9 weeks. I have made 2
complete baby quilts (machine pieced and quilted), one wall hanging
(blue star banner), and am finishing machine quilting a double size
Eazy Pieces quilt at the moment. I am in south eastern Ohio.
Steppdecke

frood wrote:
As newbies come and introduce themselves,

HOUSTON IQF, was Houston Quilt Show Roll Call Kellie J. Berger Quilting 50 October 27th 04 01:40 AM
Houston Quilt Show Roll Call nana2b Quilting 41 October 20th 04 03:21 AM
OT -- CA ROLL CALL BeckiBead Beads 51 November 12th 03 01:49 AM
ROLL CALL: Fall One-to-One Plaid Fat Quarter Swap Melissa in NJ Quilting 25 November 4th 03 04:02 PM
Fort Washington Show roll call AliceW Quilting 8 September 19th 03 11:55 PM