ROLL CALL: Fall One-to-One Plaid Fat Quarter Swap

Old October 29th 03, 02:10 AM
Melissa in NJ

Default ROLL CALL: Fall One-to-One Plaid Fat Quarter Swap

All,

In an effort to make sure I don't leave anyone out of the Fall Plaid
One-to-One Fat Quarter Swap, please check to see if your name/screen name is
below. These are the people who sent me an email expressing an interest in
being in the swap. If you posted interest to the newsgroup but didn't email
me, your name will not be below. The below list are also the people to which
I sent emails tonight. So, if you *don't* see your name below and expected
to please email me so I can fix that!!! If you see your name below and
didn't get your email, email me so I can fix that too.

If you *do* see your name below and did get your email, then there's no need
to email me back. Just go ahead and enjoy the swap!

Thanks!
Melissa in NJ *The Self Appointed One-to-One Swap Queen*
quiltngryhndlady at comcast dot net

==========================
Participants in no particular order:
==========================
"Anne in CA"
"AprShowers"
"Babs"
"Elena in Tx"
"Celia"
"Connie from ND"
Crystal Wood
"georg"
"JoyceG in WA"
Marcie T. Francisco
"M. Wetmore"
"Melissa in NJ"
"Royce"
"Country Sharon"
Susan Ross
"frood"
"MaryAnn"
"Tina"
"(Vickie in Cleveland)"
"The Brown Family"
"Keith and Michelle"
"CreativePain"
"Flossy"
"emilia bedilia"
"Jo in Scotland"
"Shona in NZ"
"trish in Sydney"

--
and the "Boos Hounds" (Bear, Bits, and Lexus)
and Maxi (aka Witch Kitty with a "B"), Kenobi (aka "Kitty Wan Kenobi"),

Quilt Something for Yourself! Adopt a Racing Greyhound!
--
Remove STOPCRAP to reply

Old October 29th 03, 05:05 AM
KCK

I had planned to have my name on the list of participants in the FQ
Plaid swap, and knowing that I still had time to do so, had not yet
responded.

Okay, here's the incongruity of the day:

After enjoying a most FABULOUS very first quiltmaking class of any sort
for me (with the Empress of Plaids, Roberta Horton) today in Houston,
I've realized that I've got the plaids section of my collection
"covered" and that I need to begin collecting other types of fabric to
inspire me and my plaids.

Wow. If you EVER get the chance to take her "Great American Scrap
Quilt" class, you will not regret it. I simply love her
concepts/theories/attitudes about fabric and was very surprised to have
discovered just how much "on the same page" I could be. In a nutshell,
she buys half yards of fabric (HOPING she'll run out of it) and once a
fabric has managed to make it into a quilt, she gets RID OF IT (donating
it, in her case), making room for more inspiration. What a philosophy!
No longer do I feel like being a slave to a particular fabric that once
"worked" for me in a single quilt. No, I'm not getting rid of my
plaids, but am going to make them part of a larger collection where they
can mingle and "be there for me" when I need them.

Oh, I need some rest after this FANTASTIC day, an incredible class,
eight hours of learning, inspiration, chatting for two hours at our
buddy, Nancy R (a TRULY lovely and fun to be with gal), getting an
unexpected hug from Carol Doak in an elevator in downtown Houston on the
way to lunch, and I'm already seeking a couple day's worth
of rest even thought the Festival hasn't even opened the doors yet!
--

KCK ( in Texas)
Take out the DOG before sending email

Old October 29th 03, 05:16 AM
Pat in Virginia

Kevin:
Last week I was at a LQS and I thought of you so much. Too bad I
was broke!! LOL This store had the BEST collection of woven plaid
since that wonderful line of Roberta Horton. In fact, at first
glance I thought it was a new Horton line. If you want, I can
call owner and find out the manufacturer. But I bet you'll see
lots of the same stuff right at the show. If you see Roberta
again, please encourage/cajole her to make some more of her
lovely fabric.

Glad to hear you are having fun. I'll be watching for your report
after show opens tomorrow night!!
Good night, PAT in VA/USa

Old October 29th 03, 05:23 AM
Melissa in NJ

KCK I can fit you in if you still want in.

Many of my regulars love taking on a second person to swap with. Just let me
know and I'll "hook you up". When I went through the emails tonight I was
surprised not to see you among them.

Melissa in NJ

Old October 29th 03, 02:11 PM
QuiltR1024

Kevin,
I'm so glad that you had a wondefyul time in your class with Roberta. I
don't give the fabric away after using it, but I do have a very large
collection of every type of fabric. If you mention a type of fabric, I
probably have a little of it. I mix & match all sorts of fabrics in each
quilt. ( plaids & stripes, tone on tones, prints, orientals, novelty,
brights & not-so-brights, etc..... Nothing escapes me. I have even taken
strips of fabrics and woven them for the background and fused them to a very
soft iron on interfacing. No fabrics or methods escape me. ( and I discovered
beads and fancy yarns about three years ago, that I use on some of the smaller
wall quilts that I design.
I am finishing hand quilting a "double nine patch" in plaids and stripes
from Roberta's book. I work on it at bees. It's easier as a take-along
project.
I'm still waiting for you to make it to the DC area for a visit & you can
rootle through my stash for some goodies that you never though of buying.
I can't wait to hear about the rest of the Houston adventure. I really miss
not coming this year ( but the painters are here for the third day and right
behiond me as I type this). So, you'll have to come and see what I got
instead of a trip to Houston this year ( new paint, carpeting and vinyl).
........but, since it was just my birthday on Oct 24th, I got lots of fabric
goodies from my quilting friends.
More later......

Kris ( in northern Virginia)

Old October 29th 03, 02:22 PM
frood

I think I forgot to post about the class I had with Roberta at the Ft.
Washington show, but it was fantastic! And, I told her you were a friend of
mine, and got special treatment all through the class! I'm sure it had
nothing to do with my willingness to try out whatever she suggested, and not
clucking my tounge and scowling (like several of the other class members!).

My class was called People Party, and we made self-portraits using
techniques similar to those she uses in Scrap Quilts: The Art of Making Do
for the Frau Horton quilt. I did get an autographed copy of the book, and I
can see why you like it so much.

If I ever get the chance to take another class with her, I'll jump at it!

--
Wendy
de-fang email address to reply

Old October 29th 03, 05:50 PM
Ellison

Howdy!
Oh, good, you're enjoying it. (Like there was any doubt! g)

So, what will you be collecting next, instead of plaids?
In particular, if you would, please. ;-)

And what's your next class at The Really Big Quilt Show in Houston?
Do you have another scheduled?

Yes, "our Nancy" is a prize.

Cheers!
Ragmop/Sandy--wishing that boy would come out of his shell!!!

Old October 30th 03, 03:46 AM
nomorespam

what a great post KCK! thanks for sharing this. I was wondering what
you were up too!

Christina

Old October 30th 03, 04:21 AM
KCK

"QuiltR1024" wrote ...

... but I do have a very large collection of every type of fabric. If

you mention a type of fabric, I probably have a little of it.

Hi Kris!

Well, that is my goal...to one day have a little bit of many types of
fabric (notice that I am not yet committing to "every" type of fabric,
but I know where I can find some wink should I need it.
I am finishing hand quilting a "double nine patch" in plaids and

stripes
from Roberta's book. I work on it at bees. It's easier as a

take-along
project.

That sounds like a quilt I'd enjoy seeing when it's finished!

I'm still waiting for you to make it to the DC area for a visit &

you can
rootle through my stash for some goodies that you never though of

buying.

I promise if I ever make it back to the DC area, you'll be at the top of
the list of friends to look up!

I can't wait to hear about the rest of the Houston adventure.

I was tempted to attend the preview of the Festival this evening, but
was so exhausted, I stayed home and rested while I caught up on some
television shows.

I really miss not coming this year...

Trust me, you will indeed be missed in Houston this year, but we
understand. I'll look forward to seeing you next time, when we can once
again exchange stories and chat in that special "high speed, high
intensity" way we share. ;-)

Old October 30th 03, 04:30 AM
KCK

"Pat in Virginia" wrote...
Last week I was at a LQS and I thought of you so much. Too bad I
was broke!! LOL This store had the BEST collection of woven plaid
since that wonderful line of Roberta Horton.

I am totally flattered that you thought of me while you were at the LQS!
I believe I have the plaid selection of my stash pretty well covered,
but only time will tell. ;-)

Glad to hear you are having fun. I'll be watching for your report
after show opens tomorrow night!!

Like I said in my reply to Kris's post, I just didn't have the energy to
attend the preview. I know that you know first hand just how quickly
one can become overwhelmed by the show, so I'm going to try to pace
myself this year.