Can I shrink my polyester sweater?

Old February 2nd 05, 03:50 PM

Default Can I shrink my polyester sweater?

Hey all, wondering if anyone has any wisdom about shrinking polyester.
I was given a polyester sweater, and its really nice but its too darn
big Does anyone have any experience shrinking it? I tried tossing
it in the washing HOT and immediatley drying it at HOT but the washing
machine's spin cycle made the thing pretty much dry by the time it got
into the dryer

Any other tricks like iron or chemicals?

Old February 2nd 05, 04:12 PM
Michele

You could probably sew up the side seams a little on each side if that is
possible. I have done that before when I was smaller. Now I just eat more
chocolate too!

Michele

Eat more chocolate?

-georg

Old February 2nd 05, 05:16 PM
Roberta Zollner

Polyester doesn't shrink. It will melt, so avoid the hot iron!
Roberta in D

oups.com...

Old February 2nd 05, 07:05 PM
Patti

That would really shrink it!!!
..
In article , Roberta Zollner
writes

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old February 3rd 05, 02:08 AM
Kate Dicey

Patti wrote:

That would really shrink it!!!
..
In article , Roberta Zollner
writes

Polyester doesn't shrink. It will melt, so avoid the hot iron!
Roberta in D

Pop it in the oven - turn it into a brooch...

http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
Old February 3rd 05, 04:52 AM
Polly Esther

So glad you asked. I am the World's Foremost Authority on making things
smaller. I was born little and never recovered. Always, always, things are
Too Big. When folks bemoan their Fat Fanny, they should just try buying
their clothes in the Skinny Student section of the boy's department or,
worse yet, trying hard not to look as cutesy pooh as Barbie when they are
older than dirt.
That said.
You can seam in the sweater. Lay it flat. Inside out. Pin it so that
you can stitch from the cuff to the armhole, pivot and then down to the
waist or hem. Stitch it once . . . and then move over and stitch it again.
If "too big" is a lifestyle you can learn serging and seambinding and
seam taping and such. If this is a just a once burden, two rows of straight
stitching ought to be enough.
I'll be glad to do further suggestions for you if this is intimidating -
email me. Polly

Old February 8th 05, 10:54 PM

It's been my experience that poly won't shrink, so altering it as our
local poly expert suggested is right on advice.
Acrylic, now, is a totally different experience. I have one acrylic
sweater which grows new inches of arm length every time I wear it, and
fails to return to it's original shape when washed.
I bought to replace the previous misbehavin' acrylic sweater, which
grew as I wore it, both arm and body length. I'd start the day with a
waist-length, newly washed top, and end it with a midi-dress suitable
for a knuckle-dragging ape. Once washed and dried, it shrunk to it's
original state.
The only bonus to this was the psychological aspect: I had a
continual feeling that was shrinking away, turning into a delicate
little being worthy of being cherished and protected.
The replacement only grows through the arms as I wear it.
I do wish I knew what the rules are in the knit kingdom.

Old February 12th 05, 05:09 PM
Circe

Acrylic, now, is a totally different experience. I have one acrylic
sweater which grows new inches of arm length every time I wear it,

and
fails to return to it's original shape when washed.

That is it's beauty ... Hahaha! When buying for baby, buy acrylic.. it
will still fit him when he goes to university ;-)

Old February 16th 05, 09:49 PM
merrystitch

Brings to mind an experience I had when my DD was about 3 years old. I
crocheted her a dress for Easter & was so proud of myself having it done in
February. It was a beautiful soft variegated pink yarn, crochet in a simple
pattern. I put it on a hanger & hung it in her closet, all ready for Easter
in April--usually I'm staying up late the night before putting all the
finishing touches on everything.

Easter morning, I went to her closet & got the dress.. OH, MY!!! It had
grown to almost adult sweater size. At the time, I burst into tears, and
dressed her in another outfit, but we've had many laughs about it ever
since.

Merrystitch