Need some info about epoxy/adhesive

Old July 8th 05, 01:46 AM
kk

Default Need some info about epoxy/adhesive

Hi everyone,

I am a graduate researcher at a university in the US. My work involves
extensive use of a adhesive/epoxy made by omega(www.omega.com). I want
to know desperately the value of its viscosity. The epoxy i use is
OmegaBond-200 (OB-200)

I tried to call up Omega. But they do not have the value. If anybody
has done any experiment or happen to know the value, can you share that
with me?

Thanks

KK

Old July 8th 05, 06:12 AM
Abrasha

kk wrote:
Hi everyone,

I am a graduate researcher at a university in the US. My work involves
extensive use of a adhesive/epoxy made by omega(www.omega.com). I want
to know desperately the value of its viscosity. The epoxy i use is
OmegaBond-200 (OB-200)

Since you are a researcher, can't you figure this out on your own? You
must have better resources than a bunch of goldsmiths on Usenet.
--
Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com

Old July 8th 05, 06:22 AM
Peter W.. Rowe,

On Thu, 07 Jul 2005 17:46:44 -0700, in Tõ "kk" wrote:

Hi everyone,

I am a graduate researcher at a university in the US. My work involves
extensive use of a adhesive/epoxy made by omega(www.omega.com). I want
to know desperately the value of its viscosity. The epoxy i use is
OmegaBond-200 (OB-200)

I tried to call up Omega. But they do not have the value. If anybody
has done any experiment or happen to know the value, can you share that
with me?

Thanks

KK

KK, I'm not sure this is really the right place to ask. Most of us, as simple
users of epoxies, tend to deal with viscosity of the stuff on the level of:

"gee, this stuff is getting a little too thick to get fully down into the drill
hole of this pearl. I better mix up a new batch..."

I doubt many of us deal with actual numeric numbers for viscosity of epoxy. And
frankly, I'd wonder just what you're going to measure. The viscosity of
individual resins, or that of the mixed, and now setting, resin. If the latter,
do you want just as mixed, or somewhere down the line as it sets? It's a changing
measurement, after all...

Among jewelry use epoxies, the only ones where I've seen viscosity actually
mentioned are those versions of resins intended to have color added, and then be
applied to surfaces as decorative finishes, rather than as an adhesive. These
types are sometimes advertised as having two viscosity ranges available, usually
specified as thin or thick, for flat or three dimensional/curved surfaces. I
don't recall seeing them specified more closely than that.

You might try seeing if some of the science or engineering newsgroups might offer
better answers than we are likely to here.

And finally, it occurs to me that if the manufacturer of the material you now use
cannot give you the info, you might consider switching to a different brand
material, perhaps from a manufacturer with more data on their product. Seems to
me that might provide a more precise basis for research, and given the wide range
of epoxies, and many manufacturers, it seems unlikely to me that any one given
product would be totally unique to one manufacturer, especially one with
incomplete engineering data on their product.

Peter Rowe
moderator, rec.crafts.jewelry
Old July 9th 05, 02:14 AM
Andrew Werby

"kk" wrote in message
Hi everyone,

I am a graduate researcher at a university in the US. My work involves
extensive use of a adhesive/epoxy made by omega(www.omega.com). I want
to know desperately the value of its viscosity. The epoxy i use is
OmegaBond-200 (OB-200)

I tried to call up Omega. But they do not have the value. If anybody
has done any experiment or happen to know the value, can you share that
with me?

Thanks

KK

[If you're a graduate researcher, you should be well-qualified to measure
the viscosity yourself. The way I've seen it done is to use a series of cups
with varying-sized holes in the bottom. You choose an appropriate cup, and
using a stopwatch, measure the time it takes to empty; this leads to a
number in CentiPoise. There are other methods as well. Here's a link on the
subject in general:
http://www.andweighing.com/and.nsf/h...ring+Viscosity ]

Andrew Werby
www.unitedartworks.com

Borax info figjam62 Glass 10 March 2nd 05 07:16 AM
Need contact info for Stamp Out Cute Rubber Stamp Company WKT Rubberstamps 0 February 21st 04 09:53 PM
Grant info Deborah Beads 6 September 3rd 03 02:15 PM