OT Olympics question

Old August 28th 04, 04:44 AM
Polly Esther

Default OT Olympics question

This question from an over-protective great-grandmother. When I see the
young people diving off the boards and the platforms, I am always holding my
breath for fear that one of them is going to get very seriously injured by
hitting the board or platform. Is that possible - or am I just wanting them
all to "get down and quit that" needlessly? Polly

Old August 28th 04, 04:49 AM
maryd

Yup. Possible and it has happened. A diver hit the platform with the back
of his head.

--
Mary
nk.net...

Old August 28th 04, 04:55 AM
Jalynne

Wasn't that Greg Luganis (sp?)?
--
Jalynne - Keeper of the Quilt for ME club list

Old August 28th 04, 04:55 AM
maryd

Yes.... I couldn't remember his name.

--
Mary
"Jalynne" wrote in message
k.net...
Wasn't that Greg Luganis (sp?)?

Old August 28th 04, 04:56 AM
nana2b

Greg Louganis hit his head on the springboard, got stitches and kept going
to win a Gold in Los Angeles. IIRC I agree it is a scarey thought!

--
Sugar & Spice Quilts by Linda E
http://community.webshots.com/user/frame242

Old August 28th 04, 05:15 AM
Debbi

Yup. Greg Louganis was the one. He trained not far from where I live

Debbi in SO CA

"Jalynne" wrote in message
k.net...
Wasn't that Greg Luganis (sp?)?

Old August 28th 04, 09:00 AM
Sharon Harper

Didn't Greg Louganis (sp?) do that? Or am I remembering him for other
reasons? And I know a diver this Olympics whacked some part of themselves
on the board.

--
Sharon from Melbourne Australia
Queen of Down Under

Old August 28th 04, 09:10 AM
Shirley Ellen

It sure is possible. I don't know about the US but in Canada they don't
install diving boards with home pools anymore. I guess you can get them as
an option but they are not recommended because they are too dangerous. When
my son was 8 he used to do those backflips into our pool from the diving
board and there was absolutely no way I could stop him... no matter how hard
I yelled. We finally sold the house partly just to get away from having a
pool so accessible to him. Thank goodness he's gotten wiser in his old age
(23)

Shirley

--
My Quilt Site
http://quilts.inspiring-thoughts.com

Inspiring Thoughts
http://members.tripod.com/inspiring-thoughts/index.html

Old August 28th 04, 01:28 PM
Polly Esther

Couldn't one of you just have lied to me? I didn't really want to know that
it is dangerous. Polly

Old August 28th 04, 02:18 PM
Debbi

Polly,

Hopefully, this will make you feel better. My kids used to take swim lessons
at the local community pool. The diving team would meet at the same time.
Never once in the 10 years we were at the pool did we see anything happen to
any of the kids. Some of these divers were on the track to becoming Olympic
divers. I would sit in fasination watching them. The very best ones also
took gymnastics, so they were really limber and well coordinated.

Debbi in SO CA