Swiss diamond????

Old May 11th 05, 04:28 AM
Tim

Default Swiss diamond????

Recently I was in Thailand and bought some earrings that were
represented as "sawit" diamond. This has been translated as swiss
diamond but I have never heard the term. Anybody know what I have,
assuming of course that I have what I was told I was buying?

Tim

I wish I didn't know now
what I didn't know then.

Old May 12th 05, 03:11 AM
Lawrence

how much did you pay for them (and what's the size, color, clarity, cut), if
i may ask...that alone may indicate whether they're genuine diamonds, or
simply synthetics

news

Old May 12th 05, 03:11 AM
Marilee J. Layman

On Wed, 11 May 2005 03:28:58 GMT, Tim
wrote:

Recently I was in Thailand and bought some earrings that were
represented as "sawit" diamond. This has been translated as swiss
diamond but I have never heard the term. Anybody know what I have,
assuming of course that I have what I was told I was buying?

"Sawit" is a common male first name in Thailand. I don't know its
meaning.

--
Marilee J. Layman

Old May 12th 05, 05:08 AM
Abrasha

wrote:

Recently I was in Thailand and bought some earrings that were
represented as "sawit" diamond. This has been translated as swiss
diamond but I have never heard the term. Anybody know what I have,
assuming of course that I have what I was told I was buying?

"Sawit" is a common male first name in Thailand. I don't know its
meaning.

Sucker?

--
Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com

Old May 12th 05, 05:08 AM
Tim

On Thu, 12 May 2005 02:11:19 GMT, "Lawrence"
wrote:

how much did you pay for them (and what's the size, color, clarity, cut), if
i may ask...that alone may indicate whether they're genuine diamonds, or
simply synthetics

I am interested in the term "sawit" or "swiss" diamond. They were
purchased from a shop owned by a friend of my wife, so I am confidant
what I got was real "sawit diamonds", I just don't know if that is an
industry term for something. The diamonds are small as was the price,
but they were purchased from a jeweler who is a family friend in
Chantaburri, which happens to be a major gem cutting center. I have no
idea what they might be worth here. I bought them for family and
friends for under $30 per pair. The cut is round, the rest I can't
answer. I really don't know much about grading diamonds.

This has sparked my interest in gemstones now. I just ordered a loupe
and I have been doing some reading on gemstones. I can't wait to get
back to Chantaburri to play with the new knowledge I am aquiring. I
spend about 4 months per year there so I will have plenty of time to
play.

news

Old May 12th 05, 05:09 AM
Tim

wrote:

Recently I was in Thailand and bought some earrings that were
represented as "sawit" diamond. This has been translated as swiss
diamond but I have never heard the term. Anybody know what I have,
assuming of course that I have what I was told I was buying?

"Sawit" is a common male first name in Thailand. I don't know its
meaning.

I have never heard that name before. Anyway, it wasn't something that
could be easily translated which made me think it is an industry term.
My wife couldn't translate the word but she did say it is not man made
and it came out of the ground. I suppose it could be a term used in
the Thailand industry only. Gem trading is so common in Chantaburri
that they could have many words to describe different diamonds, like
Eskimos have words for different snows.

Tim

I wish I didn't know now
what I didn't know then.

Old May 12th 05, 04:09 PM
Lawrence

you paying just $30(relatively low for diamond earrings)...diamonds named
"sawit", makes me think that's just another fancy marketing term for lab
created stones - just like russian cut cz's, or the home shopping network's
'diamonique', etc.

wrote:

[...]

news

Old May 13th 05, 01:43 AM
Marilee J. Layman

wrote:

Recently I was in Thailand and bought some earrings that were
represented as "sawit" diamond. This has been translated as swiss
diamond but I have never heard the term. Anybody know what I have,
assuming of course that I have what I was told I was buying?

"Sawit" is a common male first name in Thailand. I don't know its
meaning.

Sucker?

Pffffft.

--
Marilee J. Layman

Old May 13th 05, 01:43 AM
Marilee J. Layman

wrote:

Recently I was in Thailand and bought some earrings that were
represented as "sawit" diamond. This has been translated as swiss
diamond but I have never heard the term. Anybody know what I have,
assuming of course that I have what I was told I was buying?

"Sawit" is a common male first name in Thailand. I don't know its
meaning.

I have never heard that name before. Anyway, it wasn't something that
could be easily translated which made me think it is an industry term.
My wife couldn't translate the word but she did say it is not man made
and it came out of the ground. I suppose it could be a term used in
the Thailand industry only. Gem trading is so common in Chantaburri
that they could have many words to describe different diamonds, like
Eskimos have words for different snows.

Now see, that bit about Inuit having lots of words for snow is not
true, so it's really not a good comparison.

Who told you "Sawit" meant "Swiss"?

--
Marilee J. Layman

Old May 13th 05, 06:45 AM
Tim

On Fri, 13 May 2005 00:43:46 GMT, "Marilee J. Layman"
wrote:

Now see, that bit about Inuit having lots of words for snow is not
true, so it's really not a good comparison.

You may be right but I would find that surprising since here in the
midwest we have several different kinds of snow.

Who told you "Sawit" meant "Swiss"?

I had the store owner write what the stones were in Thai. The
handwriting is pretty hard to read but it was translated as "swiss" by
two different Thai people. Also, if you speak any Thai you will
recognize how Thais would generally insert a vowel between an "sw"
consonant cluster, and a word ending in the letter "s" would be
pronounced as if it were a "t". So what I heard as "sawit" could
correspond to the Thai pronunciation of "swiss" or possibly even the
word "service". If you can read Thai or have access to someone who
reads Thai the handwritten text can be seen here.
http://solyimps.com/sct/image.jpg The bottom two lines are those
containing the "sawit" references.

--
Marilee J. Layman

Tim

I wish I didn't know now
what I didn't know then.

"created diamond" Lawrence Jewelry 3 September 19th 04 05:14 AM
Need feedback on Diamond band saws. Garry Lynch Glass 6 August 21st 04 06:38 PM
Fake pink diamond Yoshiyuki Mochizuki Jewelry 4 July 22nd 04 07:38 AM
My Antwerp diamond experience and advice on price please! simon3000 Jewelry 9 May 27th 04 04:56 AM
Diamond Pricing Mystery t0rk-- Jewelry 1 February 11th 04 06:21 AM