REQ: Shakudo jewellery made to order

Old May 23rd 05, 07:10 AM
Caroline

Default REQ: Shakudo jewellery made to order

Hello folks,

I need some Shakudo jewellery that is made as per my specifications.
Can you point out any list of artists/ manufacturers who can fulfil
such orders?

Thanks,

Caroline

Old May 23rd 05, 08:01 AM
Ted Frater

Caroline wrote:
Hello folks,

I need some Shakudo jewellery that is made as per my specifications.
Can you point out any list of artists/ manufacturers who can fulfil
such orders?

Thanks,

Caroline

Hi Caroline,
What specifications?
Im in the UK and can do this but what do you want made ? a few
individual pieces or a full production run of many dozens?
Is this a private comission or a bulk trade purchase.?
If you can give a good description or a link maybe to some pictures of
the end result your sure to get some interest apart from mine.
hope you have a momnet to reply.

Old May 23rd 05, 03:32 PM
Caroline

Thanks for your quick response, Ted.

The kind of end-result I had in mind is on the general lines of the
following link:

http://www.kensingtonhouseantiques.c...7329store.html

Only, I need a smaller version of the cross, say about six to eight
centimetres in size.

As regards the production run, at present I desire only a dozen or so
at the most for my private use; but maybe in future there can be some
public demand.

The cross in the above link is an antique piece, but I am not
interested in that angle; I value the design merely for its
aestheticity, not its vintage.

Hope this helps.

Thanks again,

Caroline

Old May 23rd 05, 03:43 PM
Peter W.. Rowe,

On Mon, 23 May 2005 07:32:19 -0700, in ?? "Caroline"
wrote:

Thanks for your quick response, Ted.

The kind of end-result I had in mind is on the general lines of the
following link:

http://www.kensingtonhouseantiques.c...7329store.html

Caroline,

Did you notice, in your linked page, the note that the use of the word shakudo to
describe the multi colored golds, is incorrect? The word does not actually
describe, to those experienced in jewelry making, that type of workmanship. It
is, instead, the name of a specific class of japanese alloys containing primarily
copper, with a small percentage of gold. The gold allows the alloy to be given a
unique range of colored patina finishes, different from copper itself. A similar
alloy, Shibuichi, is a variable mix of copper with a lesser (15 to 30, percent,
usually) amount of silver added.

See (www.reactivemetals.com), and click the alloys link on that page, for an
example and more discussion.

The type of work your page shows is generally known simply as multi colored gold
work, or mixed metals work. In the example shown, it is also a fine example of
japanese inlay work, yet another technique, which may or may not use more than one
color of metal for the inlay, just as multi colored work does not have to be
actually inlaid, but may be classically assembled constructions of bits of
different colored metals soldered together. Such work is well known from
Victorian times, as well as being currently made in a style known as Black Hills
gold in the U.S.A., which pretty much just preserves the methods used for similar
styled work in Victorian times.

cheers

Peter
Old May 24th 05, 06:12 AM
Abrasha

Caroline wrote:
Thanks for your quick response, Ted.

The kind of end-result I had in mind is on the general lines of the
following link:

http://www.kensingtonhouseantiques.c...7329store.html

With all due respect, that is not shakudo!

That is gold inlay in steel. Shakudo is a copper/gold alloy!

This is the wikipedia definition:
Shakudo (赤銅) is an alloy of gold and copper (typically 4% Gold, 96%
Copper), mostly designed for its beautiful dark blue-purple patina. It
was widely used in Japan for the manufacture of tsuba and yatate. It
doesn't have a name in most other languages than Japanese.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shakudo

another definition is:
and alloy of copper and 3-6% gold; blue-black color
home.earthlink.net/~jggilbert/glossary.htm

--
Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com

AD - Custom Order Quickie Air & Earth Designs Beads 4 February 20th 05 10:48 AM
Money Order HELP Empress Beads Beads 10 October 18th 04 02:28 AM
Order from Nigeria empressbeads Beads 39 May 27th 04 04:13 AM
CRAFT ITEMS: Jewellery fittings, Ideal for Cabochons or Fimo. Herosemineral Beads 0 October 28th 03 01:55 PM
Order substitution Mary Shafer Beads 1 July 4th 03 07:26 AM