Any Ideas?

Old April 1st 07, 10:22 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Lisa[_2_]

Default Any Ideas?

I just joined this group hoping to get an answer I've been searching for.
Forgive me if this has already come up and been answered once before.

Does anyone know of any way to clean framed needlework without taking it out
of the frame? Most all of the needlework I've had given to me or I have
done myself does not have glass and they have yellowed over the years. I
would be grateful for any suggestions!!

Old April 2nd 07, 01:34 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Jill Waselik

I had several of my older pieces cleaned and reframed at my framers. And
this time I added glass. The cost was minimal . It was well worth it. I
took over 2 or 3 at a time. When I picked those up, I took a few more.
That way my walls were never bare and I could pay for just a few at a time.
I am glad I did it.

jill in nj

news:YpSdnWhiJv0Hv43bnZ2dnUVZ_hSdnZ2d@metrocastcab levision.com...

Old April 2nd 07, 03:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
ellice

On 4/1/07 8:34 PM, "Jill Waselik" wrote:

I had several of my older pieces cleaned and reframed at my framers. And
this time I added glass. The cost was minimal . It was well worth it. I
took over 2 or 3 at a time. When I picked those up, I took a few more.
That way my walls were never bare and I could pay for just a few at a time.
I am glad I did it.

jill in nj

Jumping in, if the needlework was framed more than 10 years ago - especially
if it's more like 20 - it should be taken out, cleaned, re-stretched or
re-blocked. You can always try to vacuum the pieces with a piece of old
hose over the nozzle. That helps a bit.

It's one of those things we all kind of forget about. But, it's good for
the life of the piece to bring it to your trusted needlework framer and let
them take it out, do the cleaning, and restretch. Also, any under glass can
have both sides of the glass cleaned. Sometimes the backing needs to be
replaced - you'd be amazed at some of the things we've seen when I was
working at the LNS/framer. And new dust covers go on the back. It's just
healthy for the pieces, and will help their life, and they look so much
better.

Just some thoughts.

Ellice

Old April 2nd 07, 11:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
m&m

"Lisa" wrote in message
news:YpSdnWhiJv0Hv43bnZ2dnUVZ_hSdnZ2d@metrocastca blevision.com...
I just joined this group hoping to get an answer I've been searching for.
Forgive me if this has already come up and been answered once before.

Does anyone know of any way to clean framed needlework without taking it
out of the frame? Most all of the needlework I've had given to me or I
have done myself does not have glass and they have yellowed over the
years. I would be grateful for any suggestions!!- Hide quoted text -

Just my 2 cents: I think Ellice means "old PANTYhose" or nylon
stockings.

MM

Old April 2nd 07, 11:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Bruce Fletcher

"Lisa" wrote in message
news:YpSdnWhiJv0Hv43bnZ2dnUVZ_hSdnZ2d@metrocastcab levision.com...
I just joined this group hoping to get an answer I've been searching for.
Forgive me if this has already come up and been answered once before.
Does anyone know of any way to clean framed needlework without taking it
out of the frame? Most all of the needlework I've had given to me or I
have done myself does not have glass and they have yellowed over the
years. I would be grateful for any suggestions!!- Hide quoted text -

Just my 2 cents: I think Ellice means "old PANTYhose" or nylon
stockings.

MM

And the nylon stockings MUST be black, with seams g
--
Bruce Fletcher
Stronsay, Orkney
Old April 2nd 07, 11:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Lisa[_3_]

Thank you all so much for the input!! It's greatly appreciated!!

I'm sure fish nets just wouldn't do!!

Old April 3rd 07, 02:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Donna

Just my 2 cents: I think Ellice means "old PANTYhose" or nylon
stockings.

MM

And the nylon stockings MUST be black, with seams g
--
Bruce Fletcher
Stronsay, Orkney
www.stronsay.co.uk/claremont

Is this a side of Bruce we haven't seen yet? or am I just noticing it
this morning?

Donna in Virginia

Old April 3rd 07, 07:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
ellice

"Lisa" wrote in message
news:YpSdnWhiJv0Hv43bnZ2dnUVZ_hSdnZ2d@metrocastcab levision.com...
I just joined this group hoping to get an answer I've been searching for.
Forgive me if this has already come up and been answered once before.

Does anyone know of any way to clean framed needlework without taking it
out of the frame? Most all of the needlework I've had given to me or I
have done myself does not have glass and they have yellowed over the
years. I would be grateful for any suggestions!!- Hide quoted text -

Just my 2 cents: I think Ellice means "old PANTYhose" or nylon
stockings.

MM

LOL - I do mean hose as in stockings or pantyhose. Old language habit of
referring to stockings, etc as "hose" rather than the full term. But, you
got the drift. Thanks for the clarificaton.

Ellice

Old April 3rd 07, 07:01 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
me

If you are not ready to have glass put in the frame yet, you could try
pulling a piece of net or nylon stocking over the whole thing and doing a
very light vaccum on the surface of the net....

me

need ideas Irrational Number Quilting 10 April 12th 06 11:39 PM
Ideas Estelle Gallagher Quilting 12 March 30th 06 11:47 PM
Looking for ideas . . . lewmew Needlework 0 March 28th 06 04:24 PM
ideas please.... Kellie J. Berger Quilting 4 November 20th 03 08:49 PM
Ideas on how to do this? Joe General Crafting 1 November 15th 03 03:40 PM