3rd party take over

Old December 29th 05, 10:36 AM posted to rec.crafts.beads

Default 3rd party take over

Hello All you beady people:

I don't put much info on here, I usually just lurk and keep my mouth shut
unless I'm trying to peddle some of my wares.
However this is really noteworthy.
Somehow somebody got into my Ebay site and used my username and passoword
and threatened us so to speak.
Anyway to make a long story short, by the time this person or persons got
through with me I couldn't log onto ebay with my user name which was
"terrafirmalampwork" and my password. It got to the point where I had to
change my username and password to get back on. What a pain in the shorts!!
I have been changing stuff for two days!!
Ebay could not explain why I couldn't get back on the site.
My new user name is "craftyoldcouple" Because that's what we are Old and
crafty. 74 and 71 )
I have copied all the info below.
If you get a message from what you think is an ebay member and it's
addressed to you as "Dear Ebay Member" do not open it up!!!!! It's usually a
question about an auction that is not your auction.
I have a new ebay store website name
http://stores.ebay.com/Crafty-Old-Couple
I have to change logos on 53 items. Jeeeezzz!
I hope this helps someone.

This is the info.

Hello,

Thank you for writing.

It appears that your account was taken over by a third party in order to
send unsolicited email to other community members, including offers to
sell items outside of eBay. At this time, it does not appear that your
account was used to buy or sell on eBay. Please disregard any possible
warnings you may receive from us regarding the email offers that were
sent from your account.

Let me suggest a few ways this could have occurred:

First, there have recently been a number of email messages sent to eBay
members asking for User IDs and passwords. These messages appear to have
been sent by eBay Support when they were not. eBay will never ask for
sensitive information of this nature via email.

Second, if you use a fairly simple or easy-to-guess password, it's
possible someone could have guessed it after repeated attempts. For this
reason, it's important to use a password that uses a combination of
letters and numbers, making it very difficult to guess. The same applies
for the password hint question. It's also important to use different
passwords for the various online accounts you use (email, PayPal, etc).

Finally, there are a number of computer viruses in circulation that log
and record keystrokes. It's recommended that computer users keep their
virus alert software up-to-date, and check their system often for
problems. A firewall for high-speed Internet users is also highly
recommended.

I have reviewed your account and it appears that this issue has now been
resolved. Our records indicate that you have regained access to your
eBay account and resumed normal activity on eBay.

I hope that your future experiences at eBay are pleasant and successful.
Should you require further assistance or have any further queries,
please use our Help system by clicking on the Help button at the top
of any eBay page.

Thank you for being part of the eBay community.

Regards,

Harry
eBay SafeHarbor
Investigations Team

Whether you're new to eBay or an experienced buyer and seller, the eBay
Security & Resolution Center can help you protect yourself on eBay and
online. For more information, please click the "Security Center" link at
the bottom of most eBay pages.

For our latest announcements, please check:

http://www2.ebay.com/aw/announce.shtml

Original Message Follows:
-------------------------

To: eBay Customer Support
Subject: FW: Message from eBay Member

Hello, We sure would like to know how this is happening. We never sent
this message out.
We are not human beings having a spiritual experience.
We are spiritual beings having a human experience
Old December 29th 05, 03:37 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads

Jim,

Sorry to hear that happened. I have updated my bookmarks for new store.

-------
Barbara
http://www.penguintrax.com
Blog at http://www.penguintrax.com/chatter

eBay & Justbeadsenguintrax

0
/O\

Nurturing doesn't end at birth: breastfeed, co-sleep, babywear.

There is a very fine line between a hobby and mental illness.
(Dave Barry)

Need quality, inexpensive web hosting? Check out http://www.lyonshost.com. Shopping carts, blogs, image galleries, content management and more!

To: eBay Customer Support

Old December 30th 05, 03:02 AM posted to rec.crafts.beads

What a pain for you to have to go through that!! I hope things get back on
track for you soon!

--
Kandice Seeber
www.lampwork.net
ink.net...

To: eBay Customer Support

Old January 1st 06, 07:32 AM posted to rec.crafts.beads

That's awful, Jim.

I'm glad to have your new id.

Hope you had a good holiday.

Tina

To: eBay Customer Support

[...]

PARTY PARTY PARTY PARTY PARTY David Chapman Doll Houses 1 January 1st 04 11:57 PM
Story - The Party Kandice Seeber Beads 0 November 9th 03 12:37 PM
Good News: Selling Jewelry at Party marisa2 Beads 2 August 10th 03 05:27 AM