Wedding quilt fabric ready but now no wedding

Old July 13th 08, 02:01 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
alice-wurpel

Default Wedding quilt fabric ready but now no wedding

Ok, I spent a lot of money on really nice fabric for a wedding quilt chosen
especially for my niece who was supposed to get married in mid-November, but
now the wedding has been called off by the groom. There are alot of strong
emotions running rampant right now, especially with my sister and niece and
understandably so. This would be have been a huge wedding with 6
bridesmaids, two junior bridesmaids and 2 flower girls. Black tie and all
that. I don't know how much they can recoup, but I think at this point they
just want to get through the emotion of it all.

But, my question is, should I still make the quilt? The colors were chosen
to match her wedding colors but they will match her home decor as well. I
thought of several options. One, make it for her birthday next year -
September. Make it and hold onto it for a while to see if she is lucky
enough to meet someone else. Make it and hold it for her next major
birthday. I don't think she knows I was making a quilt and I don't think my
sister would have told her, but I don't want to give it to her so close to
when her wedding would have been or she may suspect it was supposed to be a
wedding gift. There is no question that I will still make the quilt for
her, it's just a question of the best time.

Any suggestions?

AliceW in NJ

Old July 13th 08, 02:04 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
maryd[_3_]

I say make it now and when the right time to give it comes, you will know.

--
Mary
http://community.webshots.com/user/m...host=community
. ..

Old July 13th 08, 05:45 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_2_]

I'd make that quilt right now and give it to her as soon as I could. I'm
betting she really needs a hug. Polly

news

Old July 13th 08, 12:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
alice-wurpel

Thanks Polly. She is in really bad shape right now. I'm sure it's better
that it ended BEFORE the wedding, but it's hurting nonetheless.

AliceW

"Polly Esther" wrote in message
I'd make that quilt right now and give it to her as soon as I could. I'm
betting she really needs a hug. Polly

news

Old July 13th 08, 12:58 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

I've been thinking about this for a while, Alice. It is indeed a
difficult situation.
If some of the fabrics were such that could be used in another quilt
entirely - for someone else perhaps, could you introduce a couple of
colours that would make it suitable for a Christmas quilt? dark green,
or gold/silver perhaps - one of those frosty ones that Polly loves
might be great. If you gave it to her for Christmas, you could say that
it was to 'cheer her up as it would be a disappointing Christmas'. With
a couple of Christmas fabrics, she wouldn't associate it with the
wedding upset.
..
In message , alice-wurpel
writes
[...]

Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old July 13th 08, 01:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
alice-wurpel

Thanks for the great suggestion Patti. The fabric colors are black, ivory
and gold and I found a wonderful asian flavored main fabric that has all
three colors. This will match her house colors as well and I was going to
use the Warm Wishes pattern. My sister saw the fabrics and approved whole
heartedly and trust me, she's not easy to please. So I think I will move
forward with making the quilt and use Polly's suggestion of giving it to her
as her own "hug" quilt. I won't assign it to a particular occasion and will
send it to her when she would least expect a gift just to let her know that
she is loved.

It's going to be a tough quilt to make - emotionally. But I will make it
with love and "warm wishes" for her - and my sister. This really broke her
heart since this is her only daughter and was so looking forward to seeing
her married. She's already seen her in the wedding gown which makes it even
more painful.

AliceW

"Patti" wrote in message
I've been thinking about this for a while, Alice. It is indeed a
difficult situation.
If some of the fabrics were such that could be used in another quilt
entirely - for someone else perhaps, could you introduce a couple of
colours that would make it suitable for a Christmas quilt? dark green, or
gold/silver perhaps - one of those frosty ones that Polly loves might be
great. If you gave it to her for Christmas, you could say that it was to
'cheer her up as it would be a disappointing Christmas'. With a couple of
Christmas fabrics, she wouldn't associate it with the wedding upset.
.
In message , alice-wurpel
writes

Old July 13th 08, 01:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Karen, Queen of Squishies

Here's what I do in situations like that, and often with many things I make.
Make the quilt for your niece, then let the quilt tell you when it is to be
given. I can't be given until it is finished, so finish it asap, and then
let the quilt decide. : )

Karen, Queen of Squishies

Old July 13th 08, 04:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

Make the quilt for her Alice. The fabric is perfect for her and she
probably can use the caring and love that you put into it.

This could be worse. My niece married a fellow that was a moron.
She was advised by several of us to think twice but she 'loved' the
guy. 4 years later (exactly on her anniversary) her divorce has come
through. The guy was running around on her and refused to work. I sure
hope she has learned a lesson. I just wonder what happened to the
beautiful DWR quilt I gave her? It really is a big fat shame.

In the long run the money for the party is a small thing to lose.
Hopefully your niece can move on to find the right man and doesn't
have a divorce and kids to deal with.
Hugs to you all, Taria

Old July 14th 08, 01:31 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
AuntK

On Jul 12, 9:01*pm, "alice-wurpel" wrote:
[...]

I say make the quilt anyhow. Went through a similar issue myself a
couple of years ago. Decided I was going to give ALL the siblings on
both sides quilts for their 15th anniversaries. Mind you - no one has
gotten them on time yet! Dear Sis was one of the first 2 on the
list. Told her my plan and got 'oh - you don't need to do that'.
Well, it was because unbeknowst to any of us the issues w/her husband
were far worse than any of use knew. I was nearly finished with the
quilt when she announced her separation and upcoming divorce. We
decided to give her a surprise 40th party shortly thereafter. I
thought my fingers would fall off, but got it done. She knew what the
original intent was but was delighted to be 'hugged' with it for a
different occassion. Your neice will be as well.

Kim in NJ