Ball winder troubleshooting

Old February 5th 08, 08:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
myswendy

Default Ball winder troubleshooting

Hi guys,
I'm having trouble with a borrowed ball winder. It makes a racheting
noise from inside. I know that can't be good, but I can't see inside
there to figure out if there is anything I can do about it. I sprayed
some silicone spray in there, hoping it would do some good.

Also, occasionally I accidently have wound the yarn around the base of
it instead at first, and it has gotten sucked inside and has been VERY
hard to get out.

Does anyone have any advice for me here?

PS-- The friend I borrowed it from knows less than I do about using
it! HAHAHA!

Thank you.

Wendy
Old February 6th 08, 12:14 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Richard Eney

In article ,
myswendy wrote:
Hi guys,
I'm having trouble with a borrowed ball winder. It makes a racheting
noise from inside. I know that can't be good, but I can't see inside
there to figure out if there is anything I can do about it. I sprayed
some silicone spray in there, hoping it would do some good.

Maybe there's a piece of yarn still in there, or a broken piece of
plastic :-(

Also, occasionally I accidently have wound the yarn around the base of
it instead at first, and it has gotten sucked inside and has been VERY
hard to get out.

Does anyone have any advice for me here?

With some care it might be possible to take it apart and put it back
together after cleaning. Maybe?

When I use mine I have to hold the yarn (gently) to keep it at the
right tension so it doesn't get sucked inside.

=Tamar
Old February 6th 08, 01:16 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Samantha Hill - take out TRASH to reply

myswendy wrote:

Does anyone have any advice for me here?

I gave up on using my winder after futzing with the core too many times
and do it by hand now. Take your pick of methods?

http://goddess1.typepad.com/i_hide_y..._wind_a_c.html
http://www.anntorrence.com/blog/2007...ind-a-pul.html
http://www.ariadneknits.com/blog/?p=62
Old February 6th 08, 11:31 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
myswendy

Oh my goodness! HAHAHA! Ok, everyone, thank you! I had read everywhere
about how wonderful they are. Oh well. Actually, I DID like using it,
and it made a lovely ball, but I had all these "technical
difficulties". LOL!

Wendy

Oxygen Concentrator Troubleshooting Rick Frazier Beads 4 April 27th 16 02:24 AM
Anyone up for a little Singer troubleshooting help? David Nebenzahl Sewing 18 April 30th 05 01:16 PM
Swift and Ball Winder Mark Yarn 4 March 27th 05 04:27 AM
ball winder & swift recommendations needed Laura J Yarn 21 November 4th 04 03:25 AM
Need advice troubleshooting machine Ron Anderson Sewing 5 August 27th 03 03:42 AM