touching and feeling fine antique steel knitting needles

Old July 24th 07, 01:20 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Aaron Lewis

Default touching and feeling fine antique steel knitting needles

I have just been allowed to touch and feel a set of "Superfine Knitting
Needles" made by THOs Harper & Sons', Redditch England
full set No. 17. While I have looked at them with a hand lens, I have not
fully characterized them yet. The are basically 1 mm steel lace needles,
about 8" long. They have significant wear, but I do not see the wear marks
of a knitting sheath on them.

They are mild steel, tempered for springiness. This tells me that old
needles were spring tempered steel - even when they were not being used with
a knitting sheath/ knitting pouch. But no, I do not yet have a statistically
significant basis for that theory.

They are very like the superfine steel needles that I make, and very unlike
the steel needles that I have recently purchased through commercial sources.

Aaron

Old July 24th 07, 06:57 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Shirley Shone

In message , Aaron
Lewis writes
I have just been allowed to touch and feel a set of "Superfine Knitting
Needles" made by THOs Harper & Sons', Redditch England
full set No. 17. While I have looked at them with a hand lens, I have not
fully characterized them yet. The are basically 1 mm steel lace needles,
about 8" long. They have significant wear, but I do not see the wear marks
of a knitting sheath on them.

They are mild steel, tempered for springiness. This tells me that old
needles were spring tempered steel - even when they were not being used with
a knitting sheath/ knitting pouch. But no, I do not yet have a statistically
significant basis for that theory.

They are very like the superfine steel needles that I make, and very unlike
the steel needles that I have recently purchased through commercial sources.

Aaron

On my website under antiques I have a red leather case with blue steel
knitting needles and bodkins in.
It is about 1860 so I was told by the vendor.
Probably used for knitting fine lace stockings and gloves.
Shirley
--
Shirley Shone

http://www.allcrafts.org.uk
Old July 24th 07, 04:14 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

In the collection of my late mother there were 3 pairs of Cast iron
needles circa 1936 ,,,,,,
they lived very long ,,,
mirjam

In message , Aaron
Lewis writes

Old July 24th 07, 09:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Aaron Lewis

That is a wonderful set.

Any idea how the needles were made? (i.e., are the needles springy? )

Aaron
"Shirley Shone" wrote in message
In message , Aaron Lewis
writes

Old July 24th 07, 10:01 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Aaron Lewis

Are those cast iron needles still extant? If not, what happened to them?
What was (or is) it like to knit with them?

Aaron

Old July 25th 07, 04:55 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

I tried to knit with them , and wasn`t happy at all , i found them too
heavy , glitchy,cold , sure i put them away somewhere or gave them,
or ??? have no idea ,,,,, they weren`t good for me.
mirjam

Old July 25th 07, 05:11 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

PS i still have my OLD cast iron U form piece for making
HAIR PIN LACE ,, in this method the heaviness of the U helps me
working better thah a modern plasticated one ,,, but i have some
chipped places on the u ,,,,
mirjam

Old July 25th 07, 07:16 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Shirley Shone

They have a tiny bit of spring but not much, The needles are a sort of
blue mottled with gold ends,
I can scan them and send the scan in an email to you.
You would get a better picture of them.
I will also look in my books to see if there is any mention of them.
I used to collect antique needlework tools but can no longer afford
them.
Shirley

In message , Aaron
Lewis writes

Old July 26th 07, 12:09 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Aaron Lewis

Are you sure that they are steel? Have you checked with a magnet? They might
be silver with gold plated tips?
For example, coin silver would be quite firm with a slight springiness. It
would oxidize to a deep bluish black. I have some old Russian silver that is
that color. But if silver, they would be easy to plate with gold for the
ultimate in smoothness. I know Faberge did silver needles with gold tipped
ends, and I assume other makers did as well.

They are a nice set. A lady could be proud to be seen knitting with them.

Old July 26th 07, 12:15 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Aaron Lewis

That is what I thought.

I could not see cast iron needles as being pleasant to use.

Thanks for the info.