leftover sock yarn & baby socks

Old October 24th 05, 10:07 PM
Laura J

Default leftover sock yarn & baby socks

I have so many partial skeins of sock yarn leftover that I thought I'd start
making baby socks out of them. I started looking for some patterns online
and came up with this great reference I thought I'd share with you all:
http://www.knittingpatterncentral.co...baby_socks.php

There are a couple on there that look promising. But I'd also love to hear
from any of you who have a tried-and-true pattern (gauge of 7-8 sts/inch).

And if you have any other ideas for how to use up all these odds-and-ends of
sock yarn, I'd love to hear them! They are quite a mix of self-patterning
and self-striping yarns, none of which really go together...sigh.

TIA!

LauraJ

Old October 25th 05, 02:11 AM
Janise

Laura,
It is ironic that you have asked this now, as I was just reading some old KnitList Digests that I still have saved on my computer. Someone had asked about a book which has projects to be done in the self-patterning/striping sock yarns, and this book was mentioned: Not Just Socks by Sandi Rosner. I have no idea what the projects are as I have not seen the book. The only thing I have made with this yarn is a tie for my DH., and now I have at least 1 1/4 skeins left.

Janise

Old October 25th 05, 03:32 AM
Richard Eney

In article n2c7f.6459$U2.2922@trndny04,
Laura J wrote:
I have so many partial skeins of sock yarn leftover that I thought I'd start
making baby socks out of them. I started looking for some patterns online
and came up with this great reference I thought I'd share with you all:
http://www.knittingpatterncentral.co...baby_socks.php

There are a couple on there that look promising. But I'd also love to hear
from any of you who have a tried-and-true pattern (gauge of 7-8 sts/inch).

And if you have any other ideas for how to use up all these odds-and-ends of
sock yarn, I'd love to hear them! They are quite a mix of self-patterning
and self-striping yarns, none of which really go together...sigh.

Wristlets seem to be popular nowadays. One of the magazines had a novelty
"scarf" that was just a skinny tube with pompoms on the end.

If you're willing to buy more yarn, or have some sock yarn in plain colors:
You could also use them with a plain white yarn of the same weight and
make a simple pseudo-Fair-Isle stranded pattern with the stripes rainbowing
through the design. If you can match one color in the striped kind, then
the striped part-skein can be a wide stripe in an otherwise plain hat
or scarf.

=Tamar
Old October 25th 05, 06:33 AM
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

Janise and Laura , since sock yarns are stronger ,,,, why not make a
knitted bag from them , it is very much in fashion now adays ,,,,,,
Or make a vest with multy colors ,,,,,
I have one sweater which i,made years ago from a basket of hand spun
wools which i got to try, problem was they were not evenly spun....
I made a round yoke for my sweater , using short rows to make the
round ,,, than i knitted back , 2 fronts and sleeves down from the
round yoke, mixing the colors using a round needle and dps
mirjam

------=_NextPart_000_0009_01C5D8DF.76553750

Laura,
It is ironic that you have asked this now, as I was just reading =
some old KnitList Digests that I still have saved on my computer. =
Someone had asked about a book which has projects to be done in the =
self-patterning/striping sock yarns, and this book was mentioned: Not =
Just Socks by Sandi Rosner. I have no idea what the projects are as I =
have not seen the book. The only thing I have made with this yarn is a =
tie for my DH., and now I have at least 1 1/4 skeins left.

Janise =20

"Laura J" wrote in message =
I have so many partial skeins of sock yarn leftover that I thought I'd =

start=20
making baby socks out of them. I started looking for some patterns =

online=20
and came up with this great reference I thought I'd share with you =

all:=20
http://www.knittingpatterncentral.co...baby_socks.php
=20
There are a couple on there that look promising. But I'd also love to =

hear=20
from any of you who have a tried-and-true pattern (gauge of 7-8 =

sts/inch).
=20
And if you have any other ideas for how to use up all these =

odds-and-ends of=20
sock yarn, I'd love to hear them! They are quite a mix of =

self-patterning=20
and self-striping yarns, none of which really go together...sigh.
=20
TIA!
=20
LauraJ=20

------=_NextPart_000_0009_01C5D8DF.76553750

!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"
HTMLHEAD
META http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Diso-8859-1"
META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2900.2769" name=3DGENERATOR
STYLE/STYLE
/HEAD
BODY
DIVFONT size=3D2Laura,/FONT/DIV
DIVFONT size=3D2    It is ironic that you have asked =
this now,=20
as I was just reading some old KnitList Digests that I still have saved =
on my=20
computer.  Someone had asked about a book which has projects to be =
done in=20
the self-patterning/striping sock yarns, and this book was =
mentioned: =20
UNot Just Socks/U  by Sandi Rosner.  I have no idea what =
the=20
projects are as I have not seen the book.  The only thing I have =
made with=20
this yarn is a tie for my DH., and now I have at least 1 1/4 skeins=20
left./FONT/DIV
DIVFONT size=3D2/FONT /DIV
DIVFONT size=3D2Janise  /FONT/DIV
DIV /DIV
DIV /DIV
DIVFONT size=3D2"Laura J" </FONTA =
"FONT=20
/FONT/AFONT size=3D2> wrote in message =
/FONTA=20
href=3D"news:n2c7f.6459$U2.2922@trndny04"FONT=2 0
size=3D2news:n2c7f.6459$U2.2922@trndny04/FONT/AFONT=20
size=3D2.../FONT/DIVFONT size=3D2>I have so many partial =
skeins of sock=20
yarn leftover that I thought I'd start BR> making baby socks out of =

them.  I started looking for some patterns online BR> and came =
up with=20
this great reference I thought I'd share with you all: BR> =
/FONTA=20
href=3D"http://www.knittingpatterncentral.com/directory/baby_socks.php"=
FONT=20
size=3D2http://www.knittingpatterncentral.com/directory/baby_socks.php/=
FONT/ABRFONT=20
size=3D2> BR> There are a couple on there that look =
promising.  But=20
I'd also love to hear BR> from any of you who have a tried-and-true =
pattern=20
(gauge of 7-8 sts/inch).BR> BR> And if you have any other =
ideas for=20
how to use up all these odds-and-ends of BR> sock yarn, I'd love to =
hear=20
them!  They are quite a mix of self-patterning BR> and =
self-striping=20
yarns, none of which really go together...sigh.BR> BR> =
TIA!BR>=20

Old October 25th 05, 02:40 PM
Laura J

Thank you, Janise, Tamar and Mirjam, for your suggestions!

Janise, I looked up this book at the library but they do not have it so I
will have to search the local bookstores.

Tamar, I like the idea of a plain hat or scarf with some sock yarn stripes.
I do have some plain sock yarn which is waiting to be knit up into a pair of
socks so I will probably have some of that leftover as well. I have enough
variety in the self-striping yarn that it has got to match one of them!

Mirjam, I like the idea of a bag as well! Though I don't particularly like
any of the colors I have available enough to make a whole bag out of them
(nor do I think I would like to mix-and-match) but I might be able to use
Tamar's stripe idea with some other plain yarn.

I did finish one little baby sock last night which came out nicely. Of
course, I don't have a baby to try it on so I have no idea if it will fit
properly! It's 4" from toe to heel which I think might be a little large
for a newborn? But I'll probably keep on making them since I have a lot of
baby gifts coming up - might be nice just to throw an extra little surprise
of teeny tiny socks in with them. I counted up how many partial skeins of
sock yarn I have and there is enough, I think to make 16 pairs of baby
socks - yikes!!! I would be bored out of my mind before I used it all up so
these other project ideas are very welcome!

Thank again!

LauraJ

Old October 25th 05, 07:28 PM
Laura J

That is an idea. Though I tend to shy away from blankets because I find
them really boring (when I do make them I crochet since it goes faster - not
sure how the self-patterning yarn will look with crochet!). But thanks for
the suggestion!

And that is 16 PAIRS of baby socks, not 16 socks! Don't worry, I won't make
it all into socks - I would get bored of that too! Actually, I wonder if I
could get a pair of baby socks and a baby hat out of each color I have.
That would make a nice little gift or a nice set I could donate.

LauraJ

"Mirjam Bruck-Cohen" wrote in message
[...]

.. .