OT - Cheshire, Ct.

Old August 2nd 07, 01:30 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Joan in Connecticut

Default OT - Cheshire, Ct.

RCTY friends,

Because of the posting restrictions here, I hesitate to write an OT
message, but I will.

My family has lived for generations in
Cheshire, Connecticut a small town in the very middle of
Connecticut. Until a week ago it was a typical suburban town, with
kids on bikes, parents commuting, Little League, neighborhood
gatherings, and church socials.

Now, that has all changed.

Because, last Monday morning Cheshire discovered cruelty, murder,
arson and unspeakable acts towards women in a flaming house in a
quiet neighborhood. A Cheshire family - the Petits - had become the
victims of a "home invasion". Two parolees broke into a home on a
quiet suburban street and hours later, three women had been killed, a
man had been brutally beaten and the perpetrators had set the
building on fire in an attempt to cover up their crimes.

Since then, Cheshire has received full media attention - not because
we are a 'Nice Town', but because we are the latest example of a
society gone astray.

The whole mood of this town has changed - you can feel the sadness in
the very air we breathe. Federal Grief Counselors are now available
at the Methodist Church where the family worshipped. Mrs. Petit's
father, who is a Methodist minister was in town to try to find
something of his daughter's and grand daughters to keep from the
burned out house. Helicopters circle in the sky next to me over the
Cheshire Academy where they are mourning Mrs. Petit who was the
school nurse for the past 10 years. I suspect there are video
cameras in the copter.

Despite a population nearing 30,000, Cheshire continues to be a very
close-knit town and I think that will be the key to a return to our
everyday lives. However, the fact that one of the killers is a
hometown boy will be a reminder forever. Even I am having trouble
sleeping - not usually a problem for me. My son Michael and his
friends are shocked, angry and sad. I think that is true of most of
us.

So, that's what happening here, sorry to say. You can help though, we
need prayers.

Joan in CT.

Old August 2nd 07, 02:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
myswendy

On Aug 2, 8:30 am, Joan in Connecticut wrote:
[...]

I am well aware of the angst this atrocious act has inflicted, as I
myself live in Mystic. I am so sorry. We all care, and are both sad
and angry.

Wendy
A Knitting Fool in Connecticut

Old August 2nd 07, 03:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
hesira

Joan,

My thoughts and prayers are with the families involved in this tragedy
as well as the town of Cheshire. It's just awful what happened.

Hesira

Old August 2nd 07, 08:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Not Likely

*gentle hugs* Joan I am so sorry for the loss in your town. Prayers are
being sent out for the victims of these horrible crimes, as well as for
their family members and survivors of your town who suffer emotionally. (

*hugs*
Gemini

ups.com...

Old August 2nd 07, 10:19 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Y?

Hi Joan
I am so sorry to hear of these awful things that have happened to your once
quiet town. Know that prayers are with you all from this little part of the
world.
higz Cher in UK

Old August 5th 07, 03:51 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Katherine

On Aug 2, 9:30 am, Joan in Connecticut wrote:
[...]

Dear Joan,
Fortunately, this is not a moderated group, so we are free to post on
any
topic.
I am so sorry that this happened. I know how devastating something
like
that can be. Be assured that my prayers are with you and your
community.

Higs,
Katherine