So, what do you pay for "blocking" or "stretching"?

Old December 11th 03, 02:19 AM
Momjws1

Default So, what do you pay for "blocking" or "stretching"?

What do you currently pay for these services? And are they from a mega-site or
a local LNS? Do you pay seperate pinning? Please explain what you pay for, as
it is important to me to know if I am charging enough for these services.

Jane in WV
Old December 11th 03, 03:54 AM
Dannielle Beitzell

I don't pay anything. I either do it myself or give it to my framer (aka
MIL) and I don't pay a penny for anything more than supplies either way.

--
Dannielle from NY
http://www.beitzell.com/dannielle/index.htm

Old December 11th 03, 04:35 AM
Sorceress

Momjws1 opined thusly:

What do you currently pay for these services? And are they from a
mega-site or a local LNS? Do you pay seperate pinning? Please explain
what you pay for, as it is important to me to know if I am charging
enough for these services.

Jane in WV

The only thing I've ever paid to have professionally finished were some Xmas
stockings done on handpainted canvases. I took them to the LNS "Needlework
and Finishing" here in Dallas to be done up nicely. They blocked them, did a
lovely moire lining, matching velvet welt cord, jingle bells on the bottom,
and a velvet hanger. It cost about..... 75 USD back in the mid 80's. They can
charge alot because they're a high-end LNS in a very well-to-do part of town,
and their regular clients can simply afford to pay the most. Aside from that
one instance, I do all my own finishing because I'm a cheapskate and a
perfectionist.

--Regards,
--Anne
Old December 11th 03, 02:25 PM
Ellice

On 12/10/03 9:19 PM,"Momjws1" posted:

What do you currently pay for these services? And are they from a mega-site
or
a local LNS? Do you pay seperate pinning? Please explain what you pay for,
as
it is important to me to know if I am charging enough for these services.

Most framers who do this have one charge for "Stretching" - which means the
pressing, pinning. If we have to wash a piece, then we may charge a little
more. For NP there is one charge for blocking it. If we frame it, then it
gets a stretching (pinning) charge. If we finish it, the finisher has a
charge for doing all the sewing. And if we just block it - depends - could
be $12, could be $25.

Professional framers have a retail pricing book that covers frame mouldings,
mat boards, glass, etc - by categories. On the summary pricing page there
are suggested prices for needlework stretching, mounting a piece of art,
backing boards, etc. In the shop I worked at, we generally charge less than
the SRP for stretching -as we're a needlework shop, and experienced with it.
We also don't add on a mounting charge - that's included with the
stretching. Different for a watercolor, or a print, etc. For stretching, it
just depends on the size, how it was stitched - on what, if we know it's
going to be a problem. We only have 1 or 2 customers whose work we always
charge full retail to stretch - and that's because these people over tighten
their work when stitching - like a drumhead. So the stitches are pulled, and
consequently trying to stretch is difficult because the areas of dense
stitching vs light stitching want to have ripples, etc.

Good luck,
ellice