Cute things kids say (not OT)

Old April 27th 05, 07:57 AM
M Rimmer

Default Cute things kids say (not OT)

I was looking at a quilt book with my 3yo DS (how do non-quilter's
children learn the names of colours and shapes?) and he rubbed his
fingers over a picture of a quilt and said in surprise "It feels all
flat!"

It was a photo of a well-quilted quilt, and it did look beautifully
textured and tactile - if you could touch the real quilt it would feel
lovely. DS was disappointed it just felt like a photo in a book, flat
and smooth.
--
M Rimmer

Old April 27th 05, 09:28 AM
Kate Dicey

M Rimmer wrote:

I was looking at a quilt book with my 3yo DS (how do non-quilter's
children learn the names of colours and shapes?) and he rubbed his
fingers over a picture of a quilt and said in surprise "It feels all flat!"

It was a photo of a well-quilted quilt, and it did look beautifully
textured and tactile - if you could touch the real quilt it would feel
lovely. DS was disappointed it just felt like a photo in a book, flat
and smooth.

James once had a book with textured cloth bits stuck in the pages: fur
fabric for a cat and the like. Naff book, but a nice idea. And we have
a picture book with very high quality photos of a ginger cat in it,
almost full size: he used to stroke the cat!

http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
Old April 27th 05, 12:15 PM
Queen of Squishies

How cute! He sounds like a constant surprise package. Delightful! And
what song does the piano know today? : )

Karen, Queen of Squishies

Sail on Silver Girl......
sail on by - -
Your time has come.....
to shine - -
All your dreams are on their way.
..........See how they shine!.........

(Simon & Garfunkel)
www.SimplyMusic.net

Old April 27th 05, 12:26 PM
Tina

The really cool thing about learning shapes ??? This year, since I had
started quilting - my DS has been bringing home papers with quilt
designs on them! (second grader) They "shapes" in the quilt designs
have the name of that particular shape OR they are kind of like color
by numbers. Each shape has a math problem in it, and at the bottom of
the page it tells you what color that shape should be colored in, based
on the solution to the problem in that piece.

They are really cool and my DS has been thrilled to do these this year.
He says he is going to save them all to make himself a quilt!

Tina

Old April 27th 05, 02:01 PM
Susan Laity Price

What a great gift for the teacher. Make a quilt based on the designs
from the papers. My son's kindergarten teacher had a set of drawings
she had each child make. It was a lesson in following directions. Some
would think it destroyed their creativity but she wasn't saying that
you always had to draw like she did, only on this set of lessons.
Anyway, one of the mothers was a expert quilter. She invited the class
over to her house in small groups and each child recreated one of the
drawings. These were then turned into a wonderful quilt. Fortunately
this quilt was made two years before my children started at that
school so I didn't have to be involved. In your case I would make two,
one for the teacher and one for your son. Of course I am saying that
from many miles away where I don't have to do the work.

Susan

Old April 27th 05, 06:21 PM
Tina

Oh but Susan - we could mail you some sewing......... LOL

But I do like the idea! Maybe let DS make his own, and I will sew
along with him and make one for the teacher too! It's a thought.

Thanks,
Tina

Old April 27th 05, 11:04 PM
Taria

HAving a 20 yo and a 22 yo it is refreshing to hear something cute a
kid said (mine are great kids, just not the same 'cute' as a 3yo!)

Your ds needs a quilt full of textures.
Taria

Old April 28th 05, 03:33 PM
NightMist

Not sure if this is cute or just a bit twisted.....

Ash is in the midst of a naked phase. If you aren't looking at him
for two seconds you may next see him dashing into the room stark
naked, or wrapped up in a teddybearskin rug, or in a hula skirt made
from a pillowcase. The other day he came into the room wearing
nothing but a recently dyed piece of flannel that I will be useing to
back a quilt. His 14 year old sister pounced on him and cried out:
"Geez Ash! We aren't old fashioned people! We wear pants, not
blanket skins!"

NightMist
contemplating "old fashioned people", and "blanket skins"

M Rimmer wrote:

I was looking at a quilt book with my 3yo DS (how do non-quilter's
children learn the names of colours and shapes?) and he rubbed his
fingers over a picture of a quilt and said in surprise "It feels all flat!"

It was a photo of a well-quilted quilt, and it did look beautifully
textured and tactile - if you could touch the real quilt it would feel
lovely. DS was disappointed it just felt like a photo in a book, flat
and smooth.

--
"To repeat what others have said, requires education; to challenge
it, requires brains." -Mary Pettibone Poole