Yellow Brick Road

Old March 22nd 04, 01:41 PM
Megwen Woodham

Default Yellow Brick Road

I've nearly completed a YBR top, just need to add the borders. I was
planning to back this with fleece, I've got a rainbow striped fleece that
picks up the colours in the top. My question is, and I've been putting off
the borders cos I can't make my mind up, can I 'birth' this quilt or should
I quilt it and then add cotton binding? I know there are no Quilt Police,
and I can do whatever I want, but ............this is my first quilt and I'd
like it to be a success! (I was going to machine quilt it with 'hanging
diamonds'(?) Vertical lines in one direction, diagonal lines in an other)

Thanks for your help,

Megwen
Bath, England

Old March 22nd 04, 02:45 PM
Lizzy Taylor

Megwen Woodham wrote:
I've nearly completed a YBR top, just need to add the borders. I was
planning to back this with fleece, I've got a rainbow striped fleece that
picks up the colours in the top. My question is, and I've been putting off
the borders cos I can't make my mind up, can I 'birth' this quilt or should
I quilt it and then add cotton binding? I know there are no Quilt Police,
and I can do whatever I want, but ............this is my first quilt and I'd
like it to be a success! (I was going to machine quilt it with 'hanging
diamonds'(?) Vertical lines in one direction, diagonal lines in an other)

IMNSHO it will almost certainly look better and be easier to keep flat
during quilting if you quilt first then bind. I have backed several
quilts with fleece and find it works well, just be careful not to
stretch the fleece when you lay it out under the quilt top - ask me how
I know ;-) and use LOTS of safety pins when you do the "sandwich". It
is the stretchiness of the fleece that would put me off birthing it.
The binding also gives the finished quilt a firmer, stronger edge.

Whatever you decide I'm sure it will come out well.

Happy quilting,

Lizzy

PS pics of my fleece backed quilts on website below (Ruby wedding quilt
& space quilts)
--
Lizzy Taylor
Heywood, Lancashire, UK 53:36:00N 2:06:00E

Old March 22nd 04, 03:24 PM
Roberta Zollner

IMO you are courting trouble if you birth it with a fleece backing and then
try to machine quilt. First, the fleece is a lot thicker than the cotton
top, so it will be hard to get a nice flat edge. Second, fleece is a bit
stretchy, so you would be likely to have pouches of it in odd places. Most
birthed quilts get tied. I'm not saying the idea is impossible, could be
done with LOTS of basting maybe, but just binding the thing would be less
headache.
Roberta in D, been there, don't ask!

Old March 22nd 04, 03:33 PM
Megwen Woodham

Thanks, I had a feeling that that was the way to go! I was wondering if I
could take a short cut! Now to look fof something to use for the binding.

Megwen
Bath, England

Old March 22nd 04, 04:36 PM
Roberta Zollner

You could probably use fleece for the binding -single thickness.
(Let us know how it turns out if you try it :-)
Roberta in D

Old March 22nd 04, 09:48 PM

In my experience, you can do either. The best is to layer, quilt and
bind. Fleece is very stretchy, and when machine quilting, seems to be
like rubber. Walking foot is a MUST and lots of pins to keep it in
place. (Or thread baste or spray baste) I like spray basting best.
Fleece backing certainly makes a cozy, soft quilt. Good luck. Nancycog
in MD