Permanent ink that isn't such a pain to clean up?

Old November 17th 04, 06:06 AM
Jolly Green Stamper

Default Permanent ink that isn't such a pain to clean up?

Hi all,

I was indexing some stamps recently and was frustrated by the messiness and
super quick drying time of my permanent ink (Decor It). Is there another
permanent ink out there that won't be such a pain to clean up after?

Have any manufacturers come up with a water based permanent ink- that is
water soluable when wet and permanent when dry?

The thought occured to me when realizing that I've used a water-based
polyurethene that was water soluable when wet, but permanent and
non-soluable when dry - so why not ink?

I have heard of Staz-on.. but, unless I'm wrong, it seems to be just like
the Decor It. Anyway, was wondering if someone more knowledgeable knew of
some new ink product out there in the market that is more user friendly.

Thanks,
Doreen

Old November 17th 04, 03:31 PM
cAndRaley

All I have used is Brilliance, so I don't have much to compare to,
but it does clean up pretty easily when it's still wet. After it dries,
fahget about it!
However, it isn't *super* fast drying on a non-porous surface, so
maybe that's a plus?
~alisa
http://tinyurl.com/7xo7k

Old November 18th 04, 06:06 AM
Pat Kight

Jolly Green Stamper wrote:
Hi all,

I was indexing some stamps recently and was frustrated by the messiness and
super quick drying time of my permanent ink (Decor It). Is there another
permanent ink out there that won't be such a pain to clean up after?

Have any manufacturers come up with a water based permanent ink- that is
water soluable when wet and permanent when dry?

The thought occured to me when realizing that I've used a water-based
polyurethene that was water soluable when wet, but permanent and
non-soluable when dry - so why not ink?

I have heard of Staz-on.. but, unless I'm wrong, it seems to be just like
the Decor It. Anyway, was wondering if someone more knowledgeable knew of
some new ink product out there in the market that is more user friendly.

Try an old ink: Colorbox Crafters' Ink. It's a pigment ink that, once
heat-set, is permanent on most surfaces, and certainly on wood.

--
Pat Kight

Old November 18th 04, 05:36 PM
JEG MAG

Hi,

I have found that some rubber releases ink easier than others.

Also, sometimes I am too impatient and don't give the cleaner enough time to
work. Recently I have had good success with Ranger Cleaner. I spray it on the
rubber and let it work for a while. I have also had success with spraying the
cleaner on a cleaning pad (you know, those things that cost a lot in a stamp
store and next to nothing in the paint department of Home Depot lol) and let
the stamp sit on that for a while the results are better. Then I usually always
take a toothbrush to remove as much as possible.

And if you put the stamp on a baby wipe immediately after stamping, it seems to
help the ink release.

Some stains are going to happen no matter what.

MA
Mary Ann

Old November 18th 04, 08:48 PM
hansen

I try to remember that my stamps are tools and not get so hung up on
pink rubber (as long as the ink doesn't affect the next stamping color).
Janet

Old November 19th 04, 08:27 PM
Jolly Green Stamper

Thanks Pat, sounds like a great product to try. Would the Colorbox
Crafters' Ink set on a shiny plastic, metal or sealed wood?

Any ideas on what stores carry this ink?

Thanks again,
Doreen

Old November 20th 04, 03:30 AM
Pat Kight

Jolly Green Stamper wrote:

Thanks Pat, sounds like a great product to try. Would the Colorbox
Crafters' Ink set on a shiny plastic, metal or sealed wood?

Yes, although on really slick surfaces (glass, glazed tile) it may
eventually scrape off if you wash it. I've used it with great success on
painted Altoids tins, glossy cardstock, polymer clay and other slick surfaces.

It's my default ink - I use it for almost all purposes where pigment ink
would be appropriate, and use Ancient Page when I want a more translucent,
dye ink effect.

Any ideas on what stores carry this ink?

Almost anywhere you can get the other Colorbox inks. Or you can buy it on
line directly from the manufacturer: http://www.clearsnap.com (warning: The
entire site is built in Flash, which I find annoying as heck.)

--
Pat Kight