Felting(fulling) in a front-loading washer?

Old January 27th 08, 02:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Gerald & Donna McIntosh

Default Felting(fulling) in a front-loading washer?

Can it be done? I just got new front-loading washer and dryer (DH was
feeling generous
after Christmas bonus or just tired of me saying that the old washer got
stuck on spin again
for the 1000th time!) And I love this machine - it's got so many settings,
I actually read
the instruction book!

Donna In S. Indiana (who's doing taxes when she really wants to knit!)

Old January 27th 08, 02:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
enigma

"Gerald & Donna McIntosh" wrote in
:

Can it be done? I just got new front-loading washer and
dryer

it can, depending on a few things. can you stop your front
loader & open the door during the cycle? if not, you won't
have much control over the felting when it occurs.
it takes longer in a front loader & wastes more water. you'll
need clean tennis balls, or those spiky dryer balls if you can
find some to add agitation.
i've been considering a high efficiency front loader because
they're easier on the clothes, but i would keep my top loader
for felting & washing the filthy rag rugs & goat/llama
blankets (tip: don't wash halters in the washer if you mind it
getting scratched up g).
lee
Old January 27th 08, 03:27 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
hesira

I've been fulling recycled sweaters in the front loader for several
months. Some things felt easily, some things are more resistant. If
you are working with materials you KNOW will full easily, you will
probably have no problem. I did use 2 pairs of jeans per load, and
sometimes a tennis ball.

OTOH, I mistakenly thought my Enid sweater was superwash, and put it
in the already-gentle front loader on the cold, delicate cycle, and
that thing shrank small enough to fit a 3 year old. Oh, well. I
never was really happy with it in the first place.

Hesira

Old January 27th 08, 05:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Erin

On 27 Jan, 14:24, "Gerald & Donna McIntosh"
wrote:
Can it be done? *I just got new front-loading washer and dryer

I just throw my items to be felted in with the regular 60 C load (i.e.
towels) and let'er rock and roll. :-) Then I mangle them; I found that
this really makes a difference in producing a nice, smooth felted
finish on the items.

Erin
Old January 27th 08, 09:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mary Fisher

"Gerald & Donna McIntosh" wrote in message

Can it be done? I just got new front-loading washer and dryer (DH was
feeling generous
after Christmas bonus or just tired of me saying that the old washer got
stuck on spin again
for the 1000th time!) And I love this machine - it's got so many
settings, I actually read
the instruction book!

Donna In S. Indiana (who's doing taxes when she really wants to knit!)

Yes it can. In UK almost all of us have front loading machines and we felt
and full happily.

Mary

Old January 28th 08, 02:58 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Richard Eney

wrote:
Can it be done? *I just got new front-loading washer and dryer

I just throw my items to be felted in with the regular 60 C load (i.e.
towels) and let'er rock and roll. :-) Then I mangle them; I found that
this really makes a difference in producing a nice, smooth felted
finish on the items.

grin Since mangle has more than one meaning, I got an unplanned
giggle out of that. I assume you mean the "iron firmly" meaning.
Ironing does make a big difference even when you aren't felting.
I've read that silk lace shawls are supposed to be ironed after
they are blocked.

=Tamar

Old January 28th 08, 11:52 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Erin

On 28 Jan, 02:58, (Richard Eney) wrote:

grin Since mangle has more than one meaning, I got an unplanned
giggle out of that. *I assume you mean the "iron firmly" meaning.
Ironing does make a big difference even when you aren't felting.
I've read that silk lace shawls are supposed to be ironed after
they are blocked.

I meant in the sense of running through the mangle several times,
turning the piece of felt each time (i.e. top edge, then bottom edge,
then one side, then the other).

Erin

Old January 28th 08, 07:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Aaron Lewis

We have a "Meile" front loader - and it is careful not to subject loads to
sudden temperature shocks. Thus, I use the "hot" cotton setting for fulling
items knit out of ordinary wool. With other items such as towels or jeans
added to the load, the result is nice fuzzy items with about 2% shrinkage.
I use Percil laundry detergent the first time I wash yarns that retain
spinning oil, and hair conditioner in the final rinse. Using the wool cycle
w/ shampoo there is essentially no shrinkage. Our Meile washer does not
felt.

Our Meile dryer felts without mercy. Five minutes in the dryer means
shrinkage. No appeals. No do overs.

Swatch and try.
Swatch and try.

Aaron

t...

Old January 28th 08, 09:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Laura J

Okay, I'll bite...what is a mangle?

I've been doing some research on felting in front-loaders and so far I
haven't seen any methods I'm 100% comfortable with. My washer doesn't allow
me to open the door in the middle of the cycle so I'm a little nervous about
having so little control over it. Then again, I'm making slippers which are
pretty small and I know small items take longer to felt. I probably
shouldn't put them into the sanitary cycle (2 1/2 hours in 140 degree
water!) though

LauraJ

Old January 28th 08, 09:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mary Fisher

"Laura J" wrote in message news:Yxqnj.248$9g.57@trndny07...
Okay, I'll bite...what is a mangle?

I've been doing some research on felting in front-loaders and so far I
haven't seen any methods I'm 100% comfortable with. My washer doesn't
allow me to open the door in the middle of the cycle so I'm a little
nervous about having so little control over it. Then again, I'm making
slippers which are pretty small and I know small items take longer to
felt. I probably shouldn't put them into the sanitary cycle (2 1/2 hours
in 140 degree water!) though

LauraJ

A sanitary cycle?

What do you wash in that???

I'm not sure that I want to know though ...

Mary