Anybody else get the Knitting Daily newsletter?

Old January 23rd 08, 03:40 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
The Other Kim

Default Anybody else get the Knitting Daily newsletter?

No little thingies showed up. I'll try to make this logical.

Wendy wrote:

"Transcription business"? Me too! That is, I'm an editor these days,
for the most part. Work for Medware. What's your company? Where are
you? And PS--- I can only knit at night after my shift, too....and my
kitties get into my yarn all the time! I also will have the longest
arms in history because I often must hold them straight out in front
of me because SOMEone is totally oblivious, snoozing away on my
chest....as usual. Of course, I wouldn't have it any other way.

Me:

I'm an independent contractor and have been since I started doing
transcription some 15 years ago. I subcontracted for the woman who had
the account at the medical office I used to work at, and while I was
doing this I was working on getting my own clients. Currently I'm
typing for 2 orthopedists and a chiropractor, and I'm on call with a
surgery office and a cardiologist. I'm only working part-time 'cause
that brings in enough to pay for my girls' school, but I want to be
working more.

Cats...only one of mine decides to annoy me when I'm finally getting
time to relax and knit, but Lilith is so darn cute that I can't resist
:-) She will jump up on the sofa next to me and paw my shoulder to get
my attention, and if I don't respond she quite literally thows herself
at me. Once I acknowledge her she'll put her head in my lap and start
kneading on my legs for about 5 minutes, then she'll either curl up in
my lap or get up and walk away. Strange kitty, that one. The other
one, Stormy, is the yarn chaser. I keep some remnants for her to bat
around the house, and with the new wood floors it's fun to watch her
slide around while doing this g

Wendy:

And I am really enjoying KD too. I can't do lots of the fancy things
but sheer bull determination sees me through my fair isle doll
sweaters. To me, it's the "thrill of the chase" and challenging new
skills, not necessarily the actual item I am creating. At any rate, we
all have our own reasons for loving what we do and sharing that (and
our FRUSTRATIONS! LOL!) here as well.

Me:

I really like KD. I may not choose to work on any of the projects or
techniques discussed, but I do enjoy reading about them and seeing how
they work. I also like the photo galleries with the staffers modeling
various projects. This is making me realize that just because I'm not a
perfect size 10 doesn't mean I can't go a little "clingier" in my size
selection (other than cardigans, which I like loose-fitting).

The Other Kim
kimagreenfieldatyahoodotcom

Old January 23rd 08, 03:56 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
myswendy

Default plus-size styles?

Me:

I really like KD. *I may not choose to work on any of the projects or
techniques discussed, but I do enjoy reading about them and seeing how
they work. *I also like the photo galleries with the staffers modeling
various projects. *This is making me realize that just because I'm not a
perfect size 10 doesn't mean I can't go a little "clingier" in my size
selection (other than cardigans, which I like loose-fitting).

The Other Kim
kimagreenfieldatyahoodotcom

Interesting you should mention that....I'm not anywhere near a perfect
size, so I feel I can't wear many of the very lovely items I see being
created. That's sad but true. Any thoughts out there on good styles
for plus-size ladies of a certain age? LOL!

Wendy
Old January 23rd 08, 04:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
[email protected]

On Jan 23, 5:56*pm, myswendy wrote:
Me:

I really like KD. *I may not choose to work on any of the projects or
techniques discussed, but I do enjoy reading about them and seeing how
they work. *I also like the photo galleries with the staffers modeling
various projects. *This is making me realize that just because I'm not a
perfect size 10 doesn't mean I can't go a little "clingier" in my size
selection (other than cardigans, which I like loose-fitting).

The Other Kim
kimagreenfieldatyahoodotcom

Interesting you should mention that....I'm not anywhere near a perfect
size, so I feel I can't wear many of the very lovely items I see being
created. That's sad but true. Any thoughts out there on good styles
for plus-size ladies of a certain age? LOL!

Wendy

NEVER EVER heard of a PERFECT sized Woman or man ,, Every one is
Perfect for herself , we all have parts we like better other parts we
like less ,,,, Remember the Hebrew word Kavod =honor comes from Kaved
= Heavy ,,,
I think all women are beautiful each in her singular special way ,,,,
Sizes are just Selling or sewing help tools ,,, that is all ....
mirjam
Old January 23rd 08, 04:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
myswendy

On Jan 23, 11:15*am, wrote:
[...]

mirjam- Hide quoted text -

That's lovely. Thank you.

Wendy
Old January 23rd 08, 06:37 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Shillelagh

"Melinda Meahan - take out TRASH to reply" wrote in
message ...
Millie James wrote:
Melinda,
sounds like you need to get back to the basics ... one stitch at a time

1.in through the front door
2.run around the back
3.peek through the window
4.and, off jumps Jack.

Huh??!!!?!?!?!??!?!?!!? I have no idea what you are getting at here.

I think it's a simplistic way to remember how to knit. I think you
already know how to knit, and need to find a different project
and yarn that won't frustrate you so much ;)

Hugs to you
Shelagh

Old January 23rd 08, 07:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
The Other Kim

Wendy wrote:

Interesting you should mention that....I'm not anywhere near a perfect
size, so I feel I can't wear many of the very lovely items I see being
created. That's sad but true. Any thoughts out there on good styles
for plus-size ladies of a certain age? LOL!

Now me:

Even when I was that size 9/10 I had to tweak patterns to get the
finished products the way I like them. I'm a tall girl, at 5'9", so
I've always had to make the sleeves and overall length a bit longer.
Now that I'm a size 14 I haven't had too much trouble finding patterns
that will accommodate a 41" bust, but it can be problematic. For
example, I love the patterns in the Yarn Girls' books, but most of them
don't go big enough. Fortunately, they're not complicated patterns and
are easy to adjust to fit me.

One book I have that I love is Style at Large: Knitting Designs for Real
Women, by Carol Rasmussen Noble. There are some lovely patterns in
here, and I made 2 of them as holiday gifts this year, and after I tried
them on and saw how well they fit I almost kept them for myself g
Both of those patterns are on my list of "things to make for me,
eventually." The sizes in this book start with Medium at 44" and go up
to 2X at 60 or 62".

There's also a book called Big Girl Knits or something like that, but I
liked the patterns in Style at Large better. As in all things, though,
your mileage may vary :-)

Old January 23rd 08, 09:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Linda D.

Melinda wrote:
Here I was, just having admired that Hanami shawl and complimenting
the knitter, stating that I wished I could knit so well, because I
can't even knit 10 rows of plain stockinette stitch without a mistake
if it has increases and/or decreases, and then comes Sandi Wiseheart
of KD trying to make me feel it is wrong for me to be saying that I
wished I could knit that lovely shawl and to be saying that I can't
even knit 10 rows of plain stockinette stitch with increases and/or
decreases.

*throwing up hands in exasperation*

On Jan 22, 7:27 am, "The Other Kim" wrote:
No, no, don't do that. The fact is that anyone can become "fearless",
as Sandy says. The reality for most of us is that we simply don't have
the time to dedicate to our knitting to reach that ultimate fearless
level.
The Other Kim

I "sort of" agree, but I think it's more of a case that most of us
"don't make the time" rather than "don't have the time". We always
manage to make time for some things, but often don't make the time for
the things we enjoy doing. I see many Mom's just sit and watch or
chat at their kids activities, heck, take your knitting along, you
would be surprised at how much can be done in an hour. How about
delegating some of the household chores too...the kids can do the tidy
up and dishes after dinner, so you can enjoy an hour of coffee and
knitting. When my kids were small my DH did their evening baths, so I
could have some time to myself.

Also, I think that fear thing is a huge factor. My Mom had always
told me that knitting socks was very difficult, but last summer I
decided I was going to try knitting socks. Well, sure as heck, I
prefer knitting socks over knitting sweaters. Sadly, my Mom passed
away just over a year ago, but I know she would laugh at seeing me
knit socks, she would say that I do it because she never liked to.
I've only knit plain vanilla socks so far, but I found some simple
lace sock patterns with only a couple of rows to the pattern, so will
start those soon with a lovely gray Regia silk that I bought at my
LYS. When we visit our son, who now lives in Redmond, WA, we always
stop by Ben Franklin, and most times I walk out with more sock yarn.

I would also like to suggest finding ways to make knitting easier, for
instance row counters.so that when you put your knitting down, you can
figure out where you left off more easily. I use the kind that hangs
off the knitting needle, works great! Someone also mentioned better
containers to keep pets out of our knitting. The clear containers are
wonderful for that.

Good luck, and be sure to take some time out for yourself each day,
you are worth it!

take care, Linda in B.C., Canada
Old January 24th 08, 05:25 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
[email protected]

On Jan 23, 8:37*pm, "Shillelagh" wrote:
"Melinda Meahan - take out TRASH to reply" wrote in
et...

Millie James wrote:
Melinda,
sounds like you need to get back to the basics ... one stitch at a time

1.in through the front door
2.run around the back
3.peek through the window
4.and, off jumps Jack.

Huh??!!!?!?!?!??!?!?!!? *I have no idea what you are getting at here.

I think it's a simplistic way to remember how to knit. *I think you
already know how to knit, and need to find a different project
and yarn that won't frustrate you so much *;)

Hugs to you
Shelagh

Yes Shelagh i remember `Songs` like that even for ironing ,,,,
mirjam
Old January 24th 08, 05:27 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
[email protected]

Aha Linda that was nice to read ,
mirjam
Old January 26th 08, 05:25 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Reunite Gondwanaland (Mary Shafer)

On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 01:16:40 -0800, Melinda Meahan - take out TRASH to
reply wrote:

Maybe the expectation here is that people have all the time in the world
to knit and nothing else to distract them?

I'm retired and I truly do have all the time in the world to knit and
nothing but Usenet and knitting blogs to distract me (although I
may--everyone please cross their fingers for me--have a collie puppy
in a few months).

However, all that means is that I've had all the time in the world to
pull back my Clapotis twice. I just finished demolishing a
half-finished version about an hour ago. The first version, which I
pulled back about a week ago, was too narrow, the second was too wide,
and I'm hoping that the third, if I ever start it again, will be just
right. Right now I think lace shawls are easier than plain old
stockinette with a few kbl stitches.

I did get one legwarmer knit -- it was a beast because I made the st&pid
mistake of using Lion "Homespun" and it was horrid to rip out when I
made mistakes and even worse to re-count stitches to make sure my counts
were correct --

I happen to think LB Homespun is horrid, nasty yarn that feels all
wrong in my hands, but there are people who love it and make beautiful
things from it. Those people probably hate some of the yarn I love.
Still, I think there are easier yarns to work with and you might be
happier if you tried one.

and before I could even get it seamed up (I knit it flat
after blowing it twice on trying to do it in the round), my
almost-not-a-puppy-any-more had grabbed it out of my knitting bucket and
chewed a hole the size of the base of a 1-pound can in it.
$@(*$@)*($@*($&@()$*&@)*$&@)*$*@$(*@&$!#%$&*($%#_% *(& (and she undid
another hand-wound center-pull ball I had made, too, and after two hours
of working on it, I could only rescue about half the yarn and pitched
the other half in frustration. It was a mismatch ball that I was
knitting tesselated fish with, so it's not like a project is getting
ruined because I threw it out.

I know you had a sizable investment in this leg warmer, both in your
work and in the yarn, but why not just toss it out? Save yourself the
frustration. Use the rest of the yarn for something else, like a hat
and scarf, maybe.

So much for legwarmers. Maybe I should make a pair in polarfleece
first, draping it to fit, and then just knit a shape to match what shape
the polarfleece ends up being.

Or just give leg warmers a miss entirely.

And I have to find a bigger poochie-proof container for my knitting
before I can start a sweater.

That's a good idea that I'll keep in mind when my puppy arrives.
Puppy-proof bins and high shelves and closed closet doors will be the
order of my day.

Mary "And buying rawhide by the crate"
We didn't just do weird stuff at Dryden, we wrote reports about it.
or
Visit my blog at
http://thedigitalknitter.blogspot.com/

knitting daily [email protected] Yarn 12 November 11th 07 09:11 AM
knitting daily Katherine Yarn 0 November 10th 07 02:28 AM
My daily quilting fix Clooniff Quilting 11 February 3rd 05 10:29 PM
FireHouse Angel Daily 9-12-03 Dianne Lewandowski Needlework 19 September 17th 03 04:04 AM