Sunday evening

Old January 23rd 08, 08:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mary Fisher

Default Sunday evening

"Shillelagh" wrote in message

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

"Katherine" wrote in message

I rarely cook bacon any other way now, and there
are a number of other things I use it for
as well. It is alwo great for quickly heating leftovers.

Bacon? Never thought of that ... so much to learn ...

head swimming ...

Mary

I always do my bacon in the mike. But it's quite
different from doing it in the stovetop.

Use a dinner plate with at least a double layer
of paper towels, lay your strips of bacon on
the towels, then a double layer of towels on
top of the bacon. Cook til the desired doneness,
and use the paper towels to mop up the grease.
Be careful, the towels will be HOT!

I hope I can remember that ...

Because I love my bacon totally CRISP, some-
times the bacon sticks to the towels. I watch
for that and peel it off before it sticks.

If I'm doing 4 or 5 slices of bacon, I cook it
on high for at least 5 minutes, checking on
it while it cooks.

But it doesn't take as long as that on the griddle ...

Mary

Shelagh

Old January 23rd 08, 08:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mary Fisher

"Olwyn Mary" wrote in message
.. .

OTOH, we do the bacon on a plastic (or nylon, or somethihg) rack made
especially for the purpose.

I am NOT going to buy any microwave dedicated gizmos!

Lay the bacon on the rack, then set the rack on a microwave safe dinner
plate. When the bacon is done, we pour the fat off into a jar kept for
the purpose, then use it as needed. NOTHING is wasted in my kitchen.

Nor in ours. Made a meat pie tonight using the fat I'd skimmed off the pot
roast (it was the remnants of that for the filling) to make the pastry.
Delicious. And I used the convection part of the new machine!

Am I clever or what?

What ... ?

:-)

Mary

Olwyn Mary in New Orleans.

Old January 23rd 08, 09:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Bernadette

On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 19:59:53 +0000, Mary Fisher wrote:

snip
My sort of cooking is rather like my knitting! I'll read the recipe,
maybe try it out once or just go straight ahead and "adjust" it to what
is wanted.

Same here. I mguess it's true of many round here :-)

On the fuel saving part, I actually monitored my bills for the first
year and the saving over conventional was £120 in that year. As that
was about 1980 something that was quite a saving back then.

Good heavens! Our whole bill isn't much more than that!

LOL Mary. It was a 4 bedroom house with two adults and two teenage boys
living in it at the time AND that was before we had the double glazing
installed. :-) We weren't so energy conscious at that time as global
warming didn't exist.

I don't suppose I could be bothered with monitoring bills - haven't done
since we installed solar water heating (although it was my intention!)
but I believe you.

Thanks again.

Mary

Old January 23rd 08, 10:17 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Olwyn Mary

Mary Fisher wrote:

I am NOT going to buy any microwave dedicated gizmos!

Mary

Sssshhhh. Don't tell anybody, but..............I got mine for ten cents
at the church rummage sale!!

Olwyn Mary in New Orleans.

Old January 24th 08, 09:37 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mary Fisher

"Olwyn Mary" wrote in message
Mary Fisher wrote:

I am NOT going to buy any microwave dedicated gizmos!

Mary

Sssshhhh. Don't tell anybody, but..............I got mine for ten cents
at the church rummage sale!!

Olwyn Mary in New Orleans.

I shall be firm with myself. I shall not waver. I shall exercise
self-control.

Unless I see a REAL bargain :-)

In truth, there's no room for anything else in our tiny kitchen, he's had to
make a sort of table to go over the new oven to hold the things which were
in the space now taken by the oven.

sigh

Mary

Old January 24th 08, 09:44 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mary Fisher

"Bernadette" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 19:59:53 +0000, Mary Fisher wrote:

On the fuel saving part, I actually monitored my bills for the first
year and the saving over conventional was £120 in that year. As that
was about 1980 something that was quite a saving back then.

Good heavens! Our whole bill isn't much more than that!

LOL Mary. It was a 4 bedroom house with two adults and two teenage boys
living in it at the time AND that was before we had the double glazing
installed. :-) We weren't so energy conscious at that time as global
warming didn't exist.

Ah, I see. There were seven of us in the house but I was strict about power
use - couldn't afford big bills :-(

Mary

Old January 24th 08, 07:22 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Olwyn Mary

Mary Fisher wrote:

Mary Fisher wrote:

I am NOT going to buy any microwave dedicated gizmos!

Mary

Sssshhhh. Don't tell anybody, but..............I got mine for ten cents
at the church rummage sale!!

Olwyn Mary in New Orleans.

I shall be firm with myself. I shall not waver. I shall exercise
self-control.

Unless I see a REAL bargain :-)

In truth, there's no room for anything else in our tiny kitchen, he's had to
make a sort of table to go over the new oven to hold the things which were
in the space now taken by the oven.

sigh

Mary

Fret not. I got a set of "microwave cooking dishes" free - included
with the price, that is - when I bought my first one, but I found I very
rarely used any of them. The good old Pyrex and Corning Ware pots and
dishes I have been using for ever are equally good in the microwave.
The only other thing I did buy, and fairly recently at that, was a set
of 6 plain white dinner plates for $5 the set. My everyday china has a
gold rim on, so cannot go in the microwave, and there are times when I
want to just reheat a plate of something. If your ordinary plates don't
have any metal on them, you can use them.

Olwyn Mary in New Orleans.

Old January 25th 08, 12:35 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mary Fisher

"Olwyn Mary" wrote in message
.. .

Fret not. I got a set of "microwave cooking dishes" free - included with
the price, that is - when I bought my first one, but I found I very rarely
used any of them.

I bought two sets, very cheaply, from a pound shop. We use them for serving
food (not cooking) in the caravans, lightweight, stackable, with lids and in
a range of sizes they're very useful. But I simply haven't room in the house
for them so in the caravans they'll stay.

The good old Pyrex and Corning Ware pots and dishes I have been using for
ever are equally good in the microwave.

Yes I'm sure they are, I've tried Pyrex and earthenware dishes already.

The only other thing I did buy, and fairly recently at that, was a set of
6 plain white dinner plates for $5 the set. My everyday china has a gold
rim on, so cannot go in the microwave, and there are times when I want to
just reheat a plate of something. If your ordinary plates don't have any
metal on them, you can use them.

Most of our everyday table ware is plain white china - some of it very old
(I bought it second hand from someone who was emigrating to Rhodesia in the
1950s) so there's no proiblem. My 'special' dinner plates have silver rims
but I know about not putting metal in the oven so wouldn't anyway.

What surprised me was the instruction in the booklet not to wrap food in
paper when in the microwave - because some recylcled paper contains small
metal partcles. I didn't know that! We learn every day :-)

Especially from internet friends, thank you again.

Mary

Olwyn Mary in New Orleans.

Old January 26th 08, 05:48 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Reunite Gondwanaland (Mary Shafer)

On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 21:11:10 -0800 (PST), Katherine
wrote:

Here it is Tuesday, and I am just getting around to replying to this.
Does that tell you how my life has been? LOL I am working on the
breast cancer socks, and have completed 36 rows on the Diamond
Fantasy Shawl. THe shawl is definitely NOT mindless knitting,

No, it isn't. But it's so beautiful when it's done that it's worth
it.

It has been cold in MOntreal, but compared to poor Keith in Wabush.
this is balmy. Plus they have been losing the power for brief periods
of time for the past two days - not fun! In fact, he has started
talking (again!) about getting a generator.

We have a back-up generator that will run the entire house, except for
the electric dryer and the central air conditioner. It runs off
natural gas or propane and it's great.

Mary "We got it for when the earthquake comes"
We didn't just do weird stuff at Dryden, we wrote reports about it.
or
Visit my blog at
http://thedigitalknitter.blogspot.com/

Last evening Nann Hilyard Quilting 15 March 17th 07 03:38 PM
AD- Tillerman Bead auctions ending Sunday evening Su/Cutworks Beads 3 June 5th 05 02:22 PM
evening atmosphere Aud Yarn 0 November 10th 04 05:39 PM
Sunday morning/evening coffee Gwendoline Kelly Yarn 25 August 25th 04 05:33 AM
Fun evening Neeej Quilting 0 August 15th 03 05:41 PM