Looking for Grandma's Apron Story

Old November 25th 05, 08:01 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default Looking for Grandma's Apron Story

I am looking for the Grandma's Apron story. I think I may have read it in
this wonderful group, but with all the computer crashes and too much to do
at school I have misplaced it. I would like to put it in a shadow box that
includes one of my grandmother's aprons, for Mom's Christmas gift.
Have a great day!!!!

Old November 25th 05, 08:29 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Grandma’s Apron
The principle use of grandma’s apron was to protect the dress underneath,
but along with that, it served as a holder for removing hot pans from the
oven, drying children’s tears and, on occasion, was even used for cleaning
out dirty ears.

From the chicken coop, the apron was used for carrying eggs, fussy chicks,
and sometimes half-hatched eggs to be finished in the warming oven.

When company came, those aprons were ideal hiding places for shy kids.

When the weather was cold, grandma wrapped it around her arms.

Those big old aprons wiped many a perspiring brow, bent over the hot wood
stove.

Chips and kindling wood were brought into the kitchen in that apron.

From the garden, it carried all sorts of vegetables; after the peas had been
shelled, it carried out the hulls.

In the fall, the apron was used to bring in apples that had fallen from the
trees.

When unexpected company drove up the road, it was surprising how much
furniture that old apron could dust in a matter of seconds.

When dinner was ready, grandma walked out onto the porch and waved her
apron - the men knew it was time to come in from the fields for dinner.

It will be a long time before someone invents something that will replace
that “old-time apron.”

They served so many purposes.

Remember this!

Grandma used to set her hot baked apple pies on the window sill to cool.

Her granddaughters set theirs on the window sill to thaw!

--
Donna in Idaho
Website: www.LinusIdaho.org

news

eScrew [email protected] Yarn 0 December 20th 04 10:54 AM
eScrew OWNS YOU!!! [email protected] Needlework 0 December 20th 04 09:23 AM
eScrew zen story [email protected] Quilting 0 December 20th 04 08:59 AM
funny joke about beads [email protected] Beads 0 December 19th 04 01:05 PM