Molding Moons

Old April 29th 05, 08:12 PM
Diana Curtis

Makes the sign of the cross and backs away quickly... evil tempter!
Thanks for the input. :-)
Diana

Jackdaw wrote:
And if ever you want to branch into casting in low melting
point metals, these moulds can take it without deterioration.

Old April 29th 05, 09:19 PM
Polly S.

Jackdaw wrote:
And if ever you want to branch into casting in low melting

point metals, these moulds can take it without deterioration.

hahaha ya know what they say, you Uber-Enabler you... what comes around
goes around! Tis a pleasure to behold... someone tempting the temptress.

Oh and thanks for getting me back on track, and enthused again, with my
ribbon/cell piece. I decided to wait on remaking the dragonfly and
started a new one... same technique, different design! So far so
good... thanks sweetie!

--
Polly

--
don't spook my groove...
icq 13968113
Old April 29th 05, 09:44 PM
Diana Curtis

Always a pleasure! I can hardly wait to see the finished one.
I did enable someone today too. Her muse has been dormant, that happens
when the clutter in the house reaches critical mass for some of us. A
reminder that cleaning wakes the muse sent her scurrying to clean. Go
figure, ME, encouraging someone to CLEAN. ewwwwwww
Diana

Old April 29th 05, 11:29 PM
Sarajane Helm

I think I've been using MM for three years now, or mabe longer...I'll ask
Linda to check her sales records. Time awareness is not one of my best
abilities. All of those molds are extremely flexible, have made hundreds of
casts, and dont need any mold release. All my elasticlay molds are
deteriorating. Even those only three years old and made in Colorado are hard
.. There is also a texture appearing on the insides of the older Elasticlay
molds, kinda pebbly---I'm guessing its shrinking in some. I believe the
extreme low humidity/highaltitude? here is also a factor---my molds lasted
longer in San Diego. The again, some of the worst offenders in the aging
thing were MADE back then and are 12, 15 years old.

--
Sarajane's Polyclay Gallery
Beads-Dolls-Wearable Art
"Diana Curtis" wrote in message
7 years..thats not a long time. I know miracle mold is in my future. For
now Elasticlay will have to do. Just a little longer. I think when Meg
is in school Ill feel more comfortable working with it.
Do you recall how old your oldest MM mold is?
Diana

Sarajane Helm wrote:
you are welcome!

one thing about elasticlay---all my Elasticlay molds have turned hard as
rocks over the years. Many of the oldest (7-15 years) have hairline

cracks
throughout.

Old April 30th 05, 09:19 PM
Helen Halla Fleischer

| On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 10:27:07 -0500, Diana Curtis wrote:

I have an almost 4 year old child. There is no safe place. :-)
Thanks for sharing your tips. I will try armor all soon. SJ was nice
enough to send me a vial of it to test. Is she a first class enabler or
what?
Diana

First Class! My masters live in a clay-safe tackle box on a shelf the cats
can't normally get to. Four year olds are probably better at getting
closets and cupboards open. I'm often thankful that my cats don't have
opposable thumbs!

Helen "Halla" Fleischer, Fantasy & Fiber Artist
http://home.covad.net/~drgandalf/halla/
Balticon Art Program Coordinator http://www.balticon.org
Old May 1st 05, 04:22 AM
Polly S.

Helen Halla Fleischer wrote:

First Class! My masters live in a clay-safe tackle box on a shelf the cats

'Clay-safe' tackle box? I'm confused! lol

--
Polly

--
don't spook my groove...
icq 13968113
Old May 1st 05, 05:34 AM
Fenrir Enterprises

On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 22:22:45 -0500, "Polly S."
wrote:

Helen Halla Fleischer wrote:

First Class! My masters live in a clay-safe tackle box on a shelf the cats

'Clay-safe' tackle box? I'm confused! lol

Tackle boxes have to be able to stand up to the plasticizers in
fishing worms, so they don't disintegrate when in prolonged contact
with clay, either. Other plastics, acrylic, etc, will melt, which is
why I find it strange that bead rollers and rolling pins, etc, are
made of this.

Glassattic.com says embroidery thread boxes won't work, but they're
made out of the same thing as tackle boxes. I've had Sculpey III in an
embroidery thread box for four years now, and it's still fine.
Old May 1st 05, 06:44 AM
Polly S.

Fenrir Enterprises wrote:

Tackle boxes have to be able to stand up to the plasticizers in
fishing worms, so they don't disintegrate when in prolonged contact
with clay, either. Other plastics, acrylic, etc, will melt, which is
why I find it strange that bead rollers and rolling pins, etc, are
made of this.

Glassattic.com says embroidery thread boxes won't work, but they're
made out of the same thing as tackle boxes. I've had Sculpey III in an
embroidery thread box for four years now, and it's still fine.

Ah ha! Thanks! I guess I read that wrong... I thought she meant
clay-safe as opposed to tackle boxes that aren't. I use a big Plano
tackle box from my brother and was wondering if there was something bad
about some of them!

Hey its late! What can I say

--
Polly

--
don't spook my groove...
icq 13968113
Old May 1st 05, 04:41 PM
Helen Halla Fleischer

| On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 22:22:45 -0500, "Polly S." wrote:

First Class! My masters live in a clay-safe tackle box on a shelf the cats

'Clay-safe' tackle box? I'm confused! lol

As in the plastic it's made of is not one of the types that reacts with my
polymer clay masters. Some plastics will degrade and get sticky even if the
clay things stored in them have already been baked. Most any tackle box
that is "worm proof" is safe as the worms they're talking about are made of
plastic that melts the wrong stuff even faster than our clay things.