Whole Cloth Quilts?

Old June 13th 04, 09:25 AM
Shirley Ellen

Default Whole Cloth Quilts?

I'm still reading Jennifer's books :0) I'm up to Quilters Legacy now and
it's talking about the whole cloth quilt that Eleanor was making. Has anyone
ever made a whole cloth quilt? I'm not exactly sure what one is. Is it just
plain material that you quilt on?

I googled and found a few premarked kits available but it's hard to tell
from the pictures what they will actually end up like. My DD would like a
plain white quilt to put on the bed under her favorite quilt so they will be
warmer in the winter. I thought perhaps a whole cloth quilt would suffice
for that?

On the other hand, how long would a queen sized one take to hand quilt?

Shirley in BC

--
Note new URL for my Quilt Site (ad free)

My Quilt Site
http://quilts.inspiring-thoughts.com

Inspiring Thoughts
http://members.tripod.com/inspiring-thoughts/index.html

Old June 13th 04, 09:56 AM
Roberta Zollner

Warning: they're addictive :-)
I made a queen-size preprinted one from Benartex (Welsh Beauty), using a
back pieced from 5 widths of 3 different fabrics. (Couldn't find an
extra-wide I liked well enough.) Took me about 1.75 years to hand quilt. But
certainly didn't quilt anything like full time! More like an hour or so
every day.
And now I've started another one. My own design this time, Very Big feather
swags to help it move along faster. But marking it was a pain. .

I'm very happy with the way the Benartex turned out. Although if I did one
of those again, I might trapunto some of the design areas.
Roberta in D

Old June 13th 04, 12:00 PM
Patti

There was a thread about one just last week, here. It was white,
quilted in variegated thread, and very beautiful. I'm very sorry but I
can't remember whose quilt it was (sorry quilter - I know it was
lovely).
If you want to find examples of this art, perhaps you might try Google
with 'Durham quilting' as the key words? I haven't tried, so I don't
know what you would get; but the area around Durham in the NE of England
has a very proud tradition in this genre, so it might work.
..
In article , Shirley Ellen
writes
I'm still reading Jennifer's books :0) I'm up to Quilters Legacy now and
it's talking about the whole cloth quilt that Eleanor was making. Has anyone
ever made a whole cloth quilt? I'm not exactly sure what one is. Is it just
plain material that you quilt on?

I googled and found a few premarked kits available but it's hard to tell
from the pictures what they will actually end up like. My DD would like a
plain white quilt to put on the bed under her favorite quilt so they will be
warmer in the winter. I thought perhaps a whole cloth quilt would suffice
for that?

On the other hand, how long would a queen sized one take to hand quilt?

Shirley in BC

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old June 13th 04, 02:10 PM
Debbi

Patti,

It was me! Mine is one of the Benartex pre-printed. I will be starting
another one soon-- possibly this week. Don't want DD to know about it so
will start while she is a camp counselor this summer and then really go to
town on it in August when she moves to Pittsburgh (no way she can just walk
in on me then).

Here is the link to my pictures. The wholecloth is on the the second page.
http://community.webshots.com/album/148776964wJCfjZ

Debbi in SO CA

"Patti" wrote in message
There was a thread about one just last week, here. It was white,
quilted in variegated thread, and very beautiful. I'm very sorry but I
can't remember whose quilt it was (sorry quilter - I know it was
lovely).
If you want to find examples of this art, perhaps you might try Google
with 'Durham quilting' as the key words? I haven't tried, so I don't
know what you would get; but the area around Durham in the NE of England
has a very proud tradition in this genre, so it might work.
.
In article , Shirley Ellen
writes

Old June 13th 04, 02:17 PM
Valerie in FL

I second the 'addictive' warning.

I am working now on the Benartex Welsh Beauty Wallhanging. I find the fabric
weave to be a little looser than I would like, although I like the pattern,
and really appreciate the fact that I didn't have to mark the top myself. I
think the finished product will look 10 times better than any picture of the
kit out there. That said, I am really sorry I didn't use contrasting thread.
I will on the next one.

I would not put hundreds of hours into handquilting a queen-size, and then
cover it up with another quilt. I think if I ever finish one that size, I'd
find a way to display it on my front lawn, so everyone could see it. LOL

Valerie in FL

Old June 13th 04, 02:20 PM
Sudrlg

Hi Shirley

Whole cloth quilts are not pieced, but that is not to say they are simple or
utilitarian.
Their beauty is in the elaborate and dense quilting stitches.
Diane Gaudynski has wonderful pictures on her website - her work is amazing.
The url is
http://personal.pitnet.net/dgquilt/default.html
A check on google using whole cloth quilts as the search words will keep you
busy for a long time. Put the phrase in parenthesis.
HTH
Deena - in Philly

Old June 13th 04, 02:26 PM
Valerie in FL

This is absolutely gorgeous! I might try that pattern next-I didn't realize
it would look so wonderful, based on the picture of the kit I saw at
http://www.quiltingstencils.com/stor...othquilts.html.

Valerie in FL

Old June 13th 04, 07:17 PM
Joanna

WOW! I must have missed your post before with this. It is absolutely
gorgeous!! I love the thread. Maybe one day I'll be that brave.
Joanna

--
Remove Quilt to reply

Old June 13th 04, 07:35 PM
Shirley Ellen

Thanks everyone

Now I remember I did see yours Debbi, but I thought it was way too advanced
an idea for me. I even congratulated you on your ribbon. Geesh! I hate
getting old. But then I was reading the book last night and I thought what
better way to really practice my hand quilting? I love to have something to
do while I watch TV with my husband. Lately I've been embroidering but how
much of that do I need around the house?

I saw a Benartex kit for a queen sized one on eBay last night for $35 but of
course I forgot to bookmark it and the auction has probably ended now. I
think there wasn't much time left on it. There were others, more expensive
(around the $50 range).

*LOL* Valerie.. you are too funny. I do agree though, after all that work it
would be a shame to hide it under another quilt. Maybe DD would like it so
much she'd use it and keep her other one for only putting on at night for
extra warmth.

Shirley

Old June 13th 04, 07:41 PM
Shirley Ellen

Oh, and I forgot to say to Patti are you sure it was Durham as in the county
in England? It's north of Cornwall. That is my paternal home... I have the
genealogy in my line back to 1580 or something thanks to a cousin who still
lives there. My 3rd great grandfather moved from Cornwall to Durham and then
his son and wife (my 2nd great grandparents) moved to Canada and settled in
Durham County, Ontario (as opposed to County Durham, England).

If the Durham part is right then I definately need one of these :0)

Shirley