Cloth & threads Shops that disappeared ......

Old December 28th 04, 06:08 AM
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

Default Cloth & threads Shops that disappeared ......

I think it is a General , all over the globe [ in developed countries]
Phenomena of certain shops disppearing and other shops Appearing . But
more than in any other Country USA , merchants are aware of What They
can sell well , and which kind of shop is a dead weight ..... thus if
Cloth and embroidery shops are disappearing , maybe it was a Loosing
trade ????
Both in our country and when i visit in Belgium , I saw the same
phenomena, BUt i also noticed that New kind of shops opened , If i
can`t find my materials in the old kind of a shop , i seek out the new
kind of shop and tell them what i am looking for .... As i told here
before , some shops survived because they learned to change with the
demands of the general public. For a while when Cloth shjops here seem
to cloth [ now they opened again in New format ] , i bought cloth in
shops that provide curtain materials ..I traveled to factory outlets ,
sometimes making a day trip , and than not onlt did i stock up , i
also made myself aquainted with their materials , and asked them to
which shops they sold that were closer to my house. Ok i look for good
prices just like anyone , but i don`t look buying good materials for
no pay. And i learned to amke do ,, sometimes Just cloth for my craft
or art seemed to much , thus i use[d] leftovers from my sewing clothes
, to make my other projects ..And i am on the outlook for new shops
and what they sell ,,,and use what i can find .
mirjam
Old December 28th 04, 11:30 AM
Gary V. Deutschmann, Sr.

Hi Mirjam

I know just what your talking about too!

I guess I was spoiled living in St. Louis where EVERYTHING was ALWAYS
available, just down the street too!
Since moving to Knoxville, I had to make hundreds of changes in the
way I buy things. And one brand never works the way another like kind
brand works, so one has to make adjustments or use something else
entirely.
Even something as simple as printing paper can drive one meshugenah.
In St. Louis I bought Weyerhaeuser Husky Offset for everyday two sided
printing and Mead Enamel for glossy and/or color pages.
The SAME company here in TN does not stock either and their like kind
is totally unsuitable. The brand of Enamel paper they have here is
FAKE plastic coated stuff that blisters, so I have to jump to the much
more expensive Hammermill Gloss at over double the price.

Even companies that have plants in both St. Louis and Memphis, it's
cheaper to have the product shipped from St. Louis, than within our
own state from end to end.

But like you have found, the things we use most often, simply are just
not available any more, unless you go on a seek and find mission to
see who might be stocking a particular item, if at all, and as uncanny
as it is, you find things in the most least likely of places.
EG: Mary's house of Lace also carries upholstery fabrics, as well as
many things associated with other needlecrafts far removed from her
mainline of crochet and lace goods.

TTUL
Gary

To Sue Dawson/ Arts & Crafts Era Threads sewingsusan Needlework 8 May 26th 04 03:09 AM
any cross-stitch shops in Ft Benning, Ga?? gundoc Needlework 0 March 25th 04 07:34 AM
looking 4 Minneapolis/area shops Julia in MN Quilting 3 August 22nd 03 06:18 AM
Iron-on Krenik Threads Lula Needlework 3 July 24th 03 07:05 AM
New FREE downloadable cross stitch pattern in zipped PMP 3 format: Art Deco rose top table cloth Misty Needlework 0 July 23rd 03 11:45 AM