glue and metal and polymer clay

Old October 16th 04, 06:36 AM
watchcat

Default glue and metal and polymer clay

Greetings all

I'm a newbie trying to make some pc leaves for a beading project. The
bead-leaves are to go with clusters of pearl 'berries' and it's necessary
for the hole to run back to front, not laterally, so I'm attempting to
attach wire loops at the top. Just poking the ends of the loops into the
clay isn't strong enough. My question is, what's the best glue for this?
I've heard that superglue dissolves some plastics, and of course, I can only
apply it post-baking. Is there a glue I can use on the raw clay? Please
don't recommend Araldite - the smell makes me gag.

And another question: I'm colouring the leaves with Jacquard's Pearl-Ex and
need to stabilise the surface with clear varnish. So far, I'm disappointed
with Sculpey's Satin Glaze - it bubbles, it drips and pools and dries with
opaque spots (allow for my ineptitude). Bit tempted to try nail polish, but
unfortunately the choice is high gloss or high gloss. A satin matte would be
preferable (even for fingernails, IMHO), but experimentation is expensive,
so I'm looking for suggestions from the collective wisdom please.
bp

Old October 16th 04, 12:31 PM
Diana Curtis

I cant recommend a glue, but will advise you to leave off the nailpolish
even if it did come in a matte. Eventually the nailpolish would turn your
clay sticky. Future floor acrylic will give a fairly easy and fast high
gloss finish. On Sarajane Helms site she gives a link to information about a
varnish which is compatible with polyclay. http://www.polyclay.com
www.glassattic.com has information about glues.
HTH
Diana

--
Vote this November (U.S.A.)
u...

Old October 16th 04, 03:20 PM
Sjpolyclay

hi Watchcat!

superglues don't melt our polymer clays. You may also want to look into the
liquid forms of the polymer clays---we use those for glues as well as surface
decorations, for afixing clay to clay or clay to metal.

as for a finsih, I prefer Varathane. there's a page with info at my site:
http:ww//polyclay.com/varathane.htm

also more info on all sorts of glues and finishes can be found at
www.glassattic.com

and
www.polymerclaycentral.com

have fun!
Sarajane

Sarajane's Polymer Clay Gallery
http://www.polyclay.com

Old October 17th 04, 03:06 AM
DianeGlassAttic

Hi bp,

The *exact* pages you want for glues and finishes answers at Glass Attic are
these:
http://www.glassattic.com/polymer/glues-Diluent.htm
http://www.glassattic.com/polymer/finishes.htm

Re the glues, there are lots of ways to go -- some used before baking, some
after, and some either or both... sometimes more than one can be used in the
same area.
Most superglues can be used on raw clay, it's just that they may also lose some
strength during heating. Lisa Pavelka's new superglue (PolyBonder) was created
to avoid this problem up to 300 degrees anyway, so it can be used without any
concern for baking (see the Glues page above for info on ordering it, if you're
interested).

I think I didn't understand in your post just what the clay parts of your
project were... the leaves? Sorry, it's late and hunger may taking over g.
If you're simply trying to attach a "top loop" of wire to a hunk of clay, there
are a number of ways to go about that... there are some suggestions, for
example on this page:
http://www.glassattic.com/polymer/jewelry.htm

As for the finishes, Sculpey's glaze is considered unsatisfactory by many
clayers since it tends to be gloppy, etc. The most used finishes are
"Flecto's" Varathane (now Rustoleum's V.), Future floor polish, and
sanding-buffing --though there are others.
I don't know if sanding and buffing would be appropriate for your current
project, but if you want to read up on how they're used, check out these pages:
http://www.glassattic.com/polymer/sanding_tumbling.htm
http://www.glassattic.com/polymer/buffing.htm

I tried to respond to your e-mail address before I noticed it wasn't usable.
If you're interested in a lot more polymer info, drop me an e-mail (see my
address below, but not the AOL address please) and put the word polymer
somewhere in the subject line (my spam finger is hair trigger).

Diane B.
http://www.glassattic.com ...... polymer clay "encyclopedia"

( for sending e-mail, DO NOT USE this AOL address or I may never see it! --use
this address instead: )

..

Old October 17th 04, 06:33 PM
Dawn Stubitsch

Zap glues work great with polymer clay.

--
Dawn Stubitsch
Thumbprint Kids Custom Cake Toppers amd Figurines

Old October 18th 04, 07:47 AM
Dawn Scannell

Hi Watchcat!

A satin matte would be
preferable (even for fingernails, IMHO), but experimentation is expensive,
so I'm looking for suggestions from the collective wisdom please.

Take it from someone who's experimented with every kind of finish under the
sun, I have the perfect thing for you!
"Delta Ceramcoat" Polyurethane Varnish. I get it at Walmart for .88 cents
for a 2 ounce bottle in the craft section with all the other paint. I use
the Gloss Exterior / Interior, but it also comes in a Satin Finish. It's
water based so it will never turn your clay sticky, and I have pieces that
are 5 years old or so that look like they were varnished yesterday. And the
best part is...if you forget and leave the top off, you're only out .88
cents! Just crack open a new bottle.

To eliminate bubbles when you varnish, always use the softest brush you can
find. I use a #2 Red Sable.

Also, I use Future Floor Wax with pearl-ex mixed in, and paint with it. And
you can use this varnish on top of it as long as your "pearl-ex paint" is
good and dry first. (It's best to heat set it a little bit with a
hairdryer!)

Hope this helps, and if you'd like to see some of my clay work, click the
link below for "Art Insomnia"
Good luck and have fun!

--
Dawn
"Art Insomnia"

Old October 18th 04, 07:55 AM
~Candace~

psssst Watchcat...Dawn is my clay muse, but she doesn't know it yet:-)

--
~Candace~

Orphan Beads ~low cost and bartering for the financially challenged beader~
http://snipurl.com/6s4t

Princess Auctions ~please see for most current updates and auction
information~
http://snipurl.com/8s8o

.. .

Old October 18th 04, 08:05 AM
Dawn Scannell

....well, she does now! LOL!!!
Thanks Candace! ;o)

--
Dawn
"Art Insomnia"
http://snipurl.com/Art_Insomnia
http://snipurl.com/my_ebay
m...

Old October 18th 04, 08:29 AM
~Candace~

((Dawn))

"Dawn Scannell" wrote in message
. ..
...well, she does now! LOL!!!
Thanks Candace! ;o)

--
Dawn
"Art Insomnia"
http://snipurl.com/Art_Insomnia
http://snipurl.com/my_ebay
m...

Old October 19th 04, 03:45 PM
watchcat

Thanks all for your generous sharing of information. Looks like I've quite a
few options to try.
bp