"Bored now."

Old May 22nd 04, 10:21 AM
Roberta Zollner

I might be in the minority here, and usually would vote for the wild side,
but in this case it really will be an awesome quilt with 18 of those! So IMO
buckle down and finish them. Maybe you could do all the remaining compasses
at once? Sew each step for all the blocks before moving to the next step?
They'll be done in no time if you stop counting how many more you have left
to do!
Roberta in D

"the black rose" wrote in message
Making a quilt for my youngest son, it's a whooooooooole lotta 15"
mariner's compasses, I've gotta pic of one at
http://community.webshots.com/photo/...43983978WWVbdx . My
original plan was to applique them into 16.5" squares, and set the
squares on point, 4 rows of 3 alternating with 3 rows of 2 (which equals
18 compasses).

I've made 5, and now I'm bored. *Now* I realize I should have varied
the colors I used, but I wasn't thinking. This many compasses, that
many strips of this fabric, this many strips of that fabric, yada yada,
it's all pre-cut now (I was being efficient), and the strips are
different widths (1.5", 1.75", 2.25") so I can't just mix and match.

Do I struggle through the rest of the 18 compasses, or do I throw
caution to the winds (and the precut strips into my scrap stash) and
improvise? Five compasses is enough to do *something* with.... just
make some nice wide borders or something, or maybe take some of the
strips and make some other kind of block to set with the compasses.

Or I *could* gird my loins, grit my teeth, turn on the TV and just keep
sewing. And it'll be an awesome quilt if I do.

*sigh* Decisions, decisions....

--
the black rose, wench with a wrench
proud to be owned by a yorkie

Old May 22nd 04, 05:17 PM
Pati Cook

After reading the responses I had on the list, my suggestion is to use the
compasses you have, use the strips with the tigers to make alternate blocks,
and go from there. Five blocks could be arranged in any number of
different ways, 4 diagonally across/down the top and one either in top or
bottom section; scattered among other blocks; or symmetrically with 2-1-2.
Other blocks could be made with the strips already cut, with and without the
tigers you want to use. (tigers with uneven log cabin strips around them;
piece the strips and use that to cut points for stars with tigers in the
centers of the stars; all sorts of things come to mind.)

If you are bored with the compasses, making more will not be a good idea.
they will end up not being as well made (if you are anything like
me.......... G) and you won't be pleasant to be around if you aren't
liking what you are doing. If there is no time crunch on this, then put it
aside for a bit and do something else, maybe that will give you a new
perspective and you will feel like doing something else.

Believe me, I understand how you are feeling. I have a top that is sitting,
has been sitting. When it is done it will be wonderful, but it involves 9
whole and several partial strip pieces, multi diamond point stars. (think
smallish Texas or Bethlehem stars.) I have one star finished, points made
for 3+ more and the strip sets done, but can only work on it a bit at a
time. sigh.

Pati, in Phx

Old May 22nd 04, 05:54 PM
the black rose

Roberta Zollner wrote:
I might be in the minority here, and usually would vote for the wild side,
but in this case it really will be an awesome quilt with 18 of those! So IMO
buckle down and finish them. Maybe you could do all the remaining compasses
at once? Sew each step for all the blocks before moving to the next step?
They'll be done in no time if you stop counting how many more you have left
to do!

This is what I'm leaning toward. Honestly, I'm pretty sure it'll be
striking as originally planned. I'm gonna break up the monotony a bit
by going out to my LQS today to get the background fabric. And maybe
some interfacing -- I think I'll use interfacing to make sure the
compasses stay round (the technique where you sew the interfacing to the
*right* side of the fabric, then slit the interfacing and turn the
fabric right side out -- voila, perfect circle, then applique it to the
background and trim out the interfacing).

I forgot to mention that the compasses are paper-pieced, from Judy
Mathieson's book _Mariner's Compass Quilts: New Directions_ (if you have
the book, you can see the compass I'm doing on pp.68-69). The compasses
have such nice points because they're paper-pieced, so I can't really
take any credit for it -- after all, all it takes to sew along the line
on the paper is a bit of concentration! I have a paper-piecing foot for
my Bernina, too; that makes it *much* easier to stay on the line. And I
took the book to Kinko's to have it spiral bound so it'll lie flat.
Every little trick helps. :-)

Now, if I could only find a paper that's thin enough to easily trace
through but that doesn't curl when ironed. :-/

This is quilting we're talking about. We're not talking major trauma
here. If I weren't sewing a seam on a compass, I'd be sewing a seam on
some other kind of block; there's no *real* difference except in my own
imagination. It's just boredom, not some major life-threatening stress.

So I think I'll just keep slogging along with the compasses, and
entertain myself with ideas on settings, sashings, borders, backgrounds
and backings. There's always the History Channel. And Nat Geo Channel,
and Discovery Channel, and Animal Planet. *grin*

Old May 23rd 04, 10:56 PM
Donna

Hi,
I have a Bernina, too. Which foot is the paper piecing foot? I need all the
help I can get! LOL
Donna

Old May 24th 04, 01:45 PM
the black rose

#13.
http://www.berninausa.com/product_de...=1085402117356

It's really called the straight stitch foot, but the open toe means you
can sight a drawn line along the inside edges of the foot, and that
makes it great for paper-piecing. You get marvelous control with it.

Old May 25th 04, 03:01 AM
Polly Esther

Yes, the #13 foot would be wonderful. If you don't have one, toy with what
you do have. You want the one that gives you the most visibility and/or
gives you a good center mark to stay on line. Polly