knitting with LEDs

Old November 15th 08, 05:12 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Reunite Gondwanaland (Mary Shafer)

Default knitting with LEDs

On Fri, 7 Nov 2008 02:04:12 -0800 (PST), janet
wrote:

On Nov 6, 11:09*pm, wrote:
On Nov 6, 10:44*pm, janet wrote:

Has anyone tried knitting something and embedding LEDs in it? *The
kind of thing that is in some kid's sneakers and makes them light up.
I'm thinking of a winter hat, perhaps--for my grandson.

Janet

Sorry what is */are Led ???????
mirjam

LEDs are those tiny lights that take very little power.

LED stands for Light Emitting Diode. I know you can put them into
garments because I've seen them in t-shirts. They have to be removed
rather than being washed with the shirt. They're pre-wired and have a
little battery pack, so there's no knitting wire into the hat or
anything.

If you can't find LEDs at the hobby shop (either B&M, brick & mortar,
or online), try the battery-pack miniature Christmas tree lights.
They're only a few dollars for a string of twelve or so, as I recall.
They're popular for seasonal sweatshirts.

You can also get LEDs in post earrings. Switch the regular pinch back
to those big plastic backs to hold them into the knitting more firmly.
I think you can find the earrings and the big backs at accessory shops
in the mall. Or look online.

Mary "That would be a flashy hat"
We didn't just do weird stuff at Dryden, we wrote reports about it.
or
Visit my blog at
http://thedigitalknitter.blogspot.com/