Cleaning Old Varsity Jacket

Old November 3rd 03, 03:18 PM
Rose

Default Cleaning Old Varsity Jacket

My brother stopped by with his old varsity jacket yesterday asking my
help and I'm afraid I now need yours.

The jacket itself is in excellent condition except for the old
naugahyde sleeves. They have grown sticky with the passage of time.
I'm thinking it's the oil used to make the naugahyde but, I admit it,
I could be wrong. Soap and water isn't taking this off.

Anyone got any suggestions?

Many thanks in advance!

Rose

(to email me privately please send to ".
" is no longer a working account.)
Old November 3rd 03, 04:14 PM
nana2b

I am not sure, but how about a Goo-Gone like product. I would try it under
the arm in a hidden area first. WD-40 might work too. Let us know your
outcome. Nana

Old November 3rd 03, 08:42 PM
Valkyrie

Are you VERY sure the sleeves are naugahyde? If so I'd head off to the auto
parts store and see what they had for car upholstery cleaners, the stuff you
use on "looks like leather". You need to be very careful what you clean
those sleeves with. It may get the dirt and gunk off of them but then ruin
the material so it cracks and disintegrates.

Val

Old November 6th 03, 04:01 PM
Rose

"nana2b" wrote in message ...
I am not sure, but how about a Goo-Gone like product. I would try it under
the arm in a hidden area first. WD-40 might work too. Let us know your
outcome. Nana

I tried Goo Gone but it started to remove the naugahyde. Guess it was
too old to stand up to the petroleum distillates. Then I tried
something that just seemed off the wall but it worked. I have a patio
furniture cleaner that I use every spring to take off all the crud
that has accumulated over winter and it worked beautifully. It took
all the dirt out of the fabric and has even made it softer.

Strange, huh?

Rose
Old November 6th 03, 04:08 PM
nana2b

Oh Rose that's great/ What is the name of this stuff? Nana

Old November 8th 03, 03:01 AM
Andy Dingley

wrote:

Are you VERY sure the sleeves are naugahyde?

Seems that Naugas got their start making sporting jackets
http://www.nauga.com/history.html

Although "the first verifiable instance of fans dressing in team
colors on game days." might raise a few eyebrows in Sienna

And this is perhaps useful
http://www.nauga.com/cleaning.html

Personally I'd be wary of ArmorAll. It gives a good shine, but there
are lots of reports of it making vinyl brittle following sun exposure.

Idea for creating a rubber stamp cleaning pad Jolly Green Stamper Rubberstamps 6 January 8th 05 02:12 AM
OT - Cleaning out the closets Empress Beads Beads 13 July 12th 04 06:23 PM
machine cleaning Valkyrie Quilting 3 October 24th 03 03:42 AM
Quest for a Leary jacket or fabric pattern or design Gerrit Wessendorf Marketplace 2 August 23rd 03 08:58 PM