Polar Fleece Ribbing

Old November 15th 03, 12:06 PM
Joy Hardie

Default Polar Fleece Ribbing

Does anyone sell polar fleece ribbing like on ready-to-wear?
I did a search and found a meathod of making a mock looking ribbing
from your main fabric, but is a true ribbing in a set of colors sold?
Joy
Old November 15th 03, 12:23 PM

malden mills does...you can find wright's version at wal-mart (best
prices i've seen on binding)

Old November 15th 03, 01:19 PM
Joy Hardie

I'm sorry I wasn't more clear. I don't mean an elastic fold-over or
any other regular nylon or cotton ribbing or binding....I mean a
ribbing where the polar fleece material itself is actually "ribbed."
Thanks, Joy

Old November 15th 03, 03:02 PM
Penny S

Joy Hardie's cat walked across a keyboard and came up with this:
I'm sorry I wasn't more clear. I don't mean an elastic fold-over or
any other regular nylon or cotton ribbing or binding....I mean a
ribbing where the polar fleece material itself is actually "ribbed."
Thanks, Joy

Never seen it, but Rochelle Harper's books give directions on how to make it
with a double needles.

Penny S

Old November 15th 03, 03:50 PM
Joy Hardie

Yes, that is exactly what I located on my web searches.....directions
with the double needle for making a "mock" rib from fleece. I was
going to make my mother a pullover like a RTW I have, but my husband
said it was the gigantic matching fleece ribbed collar that "made" the
pullover.....so I thought I might try to locate the stuff even though
I have never seen it before. I guess I will resort to the "mock"
stuff even though it doesn't have the same stretchy "rib" qualities as
"real" ribbing.
Hopefully, one day soon, it will make it from the commercial workroom
to the retail market.
Thanks again, Joy (who has a Vizsla DOG - who helped type this)

Old November 15th 03, 04:26 PM
Penny S

Joy Hardie's cat walked across a keyboard and came up with this:
Yes, that is exactly what I located on my web searches.....directions
with the double needle for making a "mock" rib from fleece. I was
going to make my mother a pullover like a RTW I have, but my husband
said it was the gigantic matching fleece ribbed collar that "made" the
pullover.....so I thought I might try to locate the stuff even though
I have never seen it before. I guess I will resort to the "mock"
stuff even though it doesn't have the same stretchy "rib" qualities as
"real" ribbing.
Hopefully, one day soon, it will make it from the commercial workroom
to the retail market.
Thanks again, Joy (who has a Vizsla DOG - who helped type this)

Joy, another idea is this.
Sometimes I use powerstretch fleece ( 1000, 4 way lycra) as a coordinating
rib for cuffs and so on. It's got a lot more lycra in it than the 200/300
series and it works pretty well.

Penny S

Old November 15th 03, 05:46 PM
Joy Hardie

Thanks Penny,
I just got another idea myself......perhaps go with a "Great Copy"
pattern called a New York Style pullover that features a different
large drapy collar=-type neck detail. It is different and dresses up
the standard polar fleece pullover.
Hmmm...still thinking. Thanks, Joy

Penny S wrote (while wishing she had Joy's Vizsla DOG)....

Old November 15th 03, 05:55 PM
Valkyrie

"Joy Hardie" wrote in message
Yes, that is exactly what I located on my web searches.....directions
with the double needle for making a "mock" rib from fleece. I was
going to make my mother a pullover like a RTW I have, but my husband
said it was the gigantic matching fleece ribbed collar that "made" the
pullover.....so I thought I might try to locate the stuff even though
I have never seen it before. I guess I will resort to the "mock"
stuff even though it doesn't have the same stretchy "rib" qualities as
"real" ribbing.

Try using the elastic lingerie thread in the bobbin with your double
needles. I did that on the sleeves of a fleece robe. Sewed from wrist to
elbow with double needles using elastic thread in the bobbin. The sleeve fit
very snug but there was no binding and my hand easily slides through. Gives
it sort of a leg-o-mutton sleeve effect.

Val