Needlework article in Baltimore Sun

Old July 2nd 04, 11:27 PM
Susan Hartman/Dirty Linen

Default Needlework article in Baltimore Sun

Y'all might be interested in this article about antique needlework from
the Thursday, July 1st issue of the Baltimore Sun. The title was
"Stitches in Time". (And if you can't get the link to work, you can go
to www.baltimoresun.com and do a search for "Oblate Sisters")

http://www.baltimoresun.com/features...,1227143.story

Sue

Old July 3rd 04, 12:51 AM
Dianne Lewandowski

Oh my goodness! THANK YOU!! I had no idea!! I knew about the work
black Americans did on quilts, that they were often seamstresses
(dressmakers) of high regard. But this article is simply marvelous. I
wish so much they had pictures!!

Dianne

Old July 4th 04, 02:07 AM
Susan Hartman/Dirty Linen

Dianne Lewandowski wrote:
Oh my goodness! THANK YOU!! I had no idea!! I knew about the work
black Americans did on quilts, that they were often seamstresses
(dressmakers) of high regard. But this article is simply marvelous. I
wish so much they had pictures!!

I wish they had photos, too. The photos they *did* have were of people
looking at the samplers and holding them with white gloves. Only one
photo that showed the needlework, and from too far away to make out
detail. sigh

Sue

Old July 3rd 04, 12:55 PM

Susan Hartman/Dirty Linen wrote in message ...
Y'all might be interested in this article about antique needlework from
the Thursday, July 1st issue of the Baltimore Sun. The title was
"Stitches in Time". (And if you can't get the link to work, you can go
to www.baltimoresun.com and do a search for "Oblate Sisters")

http://www.baltimoresun.com/features...,1227143.story

Sue

And it wasn't just cross stitch. The women of Gee's Bend Alabama are
noted for their quilts. Quite of few of the families came north
during WWII and settled in Connecticut. Some of the quilts from
Gee's Bend have toured the US.

Lisa
Old July 3rd 04, 02:35 PM
Jacqueline

I could kick myself for missing these quilts in DC this spring. I waited
until my last morning there to run an errand to the DAR for my mom, and
guess what was two buildings down? The Corchoran Gallery, with a huge
banner across the front proclaiming that the Quilts of Gee's Bend were on
exhibit. But I only had an hour to make it to the DAR, back to the hotel,
and on the road.

--
Jacqueline
Carmichaels PA