zinc oxidation

Old July 19th 03, 12:09 AM
Michele Blank

Default zinc oxidation

I have a new client who is overly concerned about the oxidation on zinc
framing. Has anyone here tried sealing zinc to keep it 'new' ? Or does
anyone know of a patina for zinc to make it go to copper? michele

Old July 19th 03, 01:28 AM
Harold E. Keeney \(Hal\)

I don't know what will achieve a copper patina on
zinc, but a very mild water/chlroine solution will
make the zinc look like a real pewter product.
Hal

Old July 19th 03, 03:00 PM
Javahut

"Michele Blank" wrote in message
I have a new client who is overly concerned about the oxidation on zinc
framing. Has anyone here tried sealing zinc to keep it 'new' ? Or does
anyone know of a patina for zinc to make it go to copper? michele

All Nova products out of Seattle, WA used to make a copper patina for zinc,
it was a little weak looking, but it went copper color. Don't know if they
are still around or not.

there are black patinas for zinc,made by Novacan, I have some in the back
of the closet somewhere, don't use it much, it takes multiple applications
for it to look good. I used to use Muriatic acid, weak, really weak, with
water to make a dull dark grey.

The neatest one I found was to use the antique brass patina from Inland, rub
it on with an old rag or paper towel, wearing rubber gloves, gives a brown
to bronze look. Nicest finish I have seen on zinc.

Old July 19th 03, 03:03 PM
Javahut

"Michele Blank" wrote in message
I have a new client who is overly concerned about the oxidation on zinc
framing. Has anyone here tried sealing zinc to keep it 'new' ? Or does
anyone know of a patina for zinc to make it go to copper? michele

Define "overly concerned with oxidation" is she concerned it will change
color on its own? Probably will, but at about the same speed we change,
unless its outdoors then atmosphere will adjust it, but the zinc oxide on
the surface is what protects it from further attack by the elements. You
want to keep it "new zinc" color? Wax it.

Old July 20th 03, 05:39 PM
Jerry Maske

Two ways to make it copper. Float solder the entire thing and use
copper patina, or buy a can of your favorite color of Rustolium.

Jerry

--
? Angel Antics Glass Crafters ?
Fine Art Glass, Kaleidoscopes and