Floss Organizing System ??

Old February 20th 08, 09:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Gill Murray

Default Floss Organizing System ??

Lucille wrote:
"Cheryl Isaak" wrote in message

On 2/20/08 11:01 AM, in article
, "Lucille" lzoltynospam@now
at
comcast..net wrote:

snip

I finally decided on the floss bobbins. I'm about 3/4 of the way
through
winding the bobbins and I'm going crazy. It seems to me that everytime I
see an end to the winding, I find another little baggie of untouched
skeins.

I do think I'll love it, provided I ever actually finish the winding and
set
up the boxes in proper order.

Yaawwwnnnn

Lucille

You do know that you can buy the DMC numbers preprinted.....

That's what I'm using. Unfortunately the little critters refuse to put
themselves on the bobbins and insist that I assist them. Then they decide
to gravitate too far to the left or right.

I'm getting there. I'm nearly done with green and then there's only a few
more browns, beiges and gray, plus of course black and white which I might
just keep in a baggie. That will depend on just how tired I am of winding.

I really find it easier to label with a sharp-pointed Sharpy, *before* I
put the floss on the skein. There is a gizmo for winding the floss, but
I find it quicker to do it by hand.

Gill
Old February 20th 08, 09:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Lucille[_3_]

comcast..net wrote:

[...]

Three of the Darice boxes that I bought came with a bobbin winder. I tried
it and found that doing it by hand is way quicker. I also can wind by hand
anywhere, anytime and in any upright position. I'm now the proud owner of
three useless bobbin winders. If they were going to give me a freebie I
wish they had given me some extra plastic bobbins. I bought all the ones
they had in Michaels the day I was there but I ran out and rather then wait
for more to come in I'm just using the cardboard ones that came in the
boxes, but they aren't nearly as good. I think I'll buy a few more packages
to keep in stash and as I use up a color I'll use the plastic ones for
replacement.

Come to think about it I'll bet I could wind them lying down and possibly
in my sleep after doing this for the last few days. lol

Old February 20th 08, 10:12 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Lucille[_3_]

"Cheryl Isaak" wrote in message
On 2/20/08 4:13 PM, in article
,

comcast..net wrote:

[...]

You don't have to finish it today....

Yes I do!!! Not that I'm compulsive or anything like that !!! For real,
I'm kind of sick of seeing the whole mess on top of the counter. It stares
at me with it's little round eyes and keeps whispering--finish me, finish
me. There's also the fact that friends of mind call me a "neat freak." I
wonder why ???? lol

Old February 20th 08, 11:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Dr. Brat

Lucille wrote:

"Debbie Rice" wrote in message
m...

Please hole-punch into those bags (don't keep sealed airtight or with DMC
floss you court moisture damage and for some of the hand/over-dyes in
Sampler and other lines you court a chemical reaction with food-grade
plastic bags--ditto for fabric).

I started my overdyes in the File A Floss box (item 4048 at
http://yarntree.com) then my clever husband figured a couple of
rods/dowels/leftover-wire-hanger-pieces into a nice, archival quality
photo box would duplicate the box and I could just buy the Floss Tabs
(yarntree item 8672) -- one of our local discount stores usually has 2 to
3 photo boxes for $5.

I like the DMC stitch bows okay and all their accessories except for the
Notebook (it's just not a good quality notebook, one of those shiny
covered cardboard ones) -- and I've liked lots of other devices that have
come and gone (including the floss bags). New lines of thread (like Color
Variations) I've converted to the floss bows but I have yet to run across
anything that's going to make me unwind and re-organize more than 450
floss bobbins in plastic case I've had for more than 30 years,

"Richard Grimes" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 29 Jan 2008 17:12:35 -0500, "Lucille" lzoltynospam@now at
comcast..net wrote:

So what's the consensus on the best, easiest way to organize thread?

This time I promise to be good and listen.

Lucille

If were really listening this time you would see there is no "best,
easiest way"

Lots of ways that lots of people prefer.

I keep my floss in quart size zip lok bags. Example: 300's in one
700' in another, I have DMC and Anchor so I keep them in their own
bags and then the quart bags go into a two gallon bag. These two go
into my roll-under-the-bed storage tub. I have yet to organize my
sampler threads....

I finally decided on the floss bobbins. I'm about 3/4 of the way through
winding the bobbins and I'm going crazy. It seems to me that everytime I
see an end to the winding, I find another little baggie of untouched skeins.

I do think I'll love it, provided I ever actually finish the winding and set
up the boxes in proper order.

I have a whole bunch of skeins unwound. I don't actually wind my skeins
on bobbins until after I've used them the first time. Then winding
becomes part of putting the floss away when the project's done. I find
it more bearable that way.

Elizabeth
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Old February 20th 08, 11:58 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Lucille[_3_]

"Dr. Brat" wrote in message
. ..

comcast..net wrote:

[...]

The most important thing one woman can do for another is to illuminate and
expand her sense of actual possibilities. --Adrienne Rich
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

That's most probably what I'll do from here on in. I started this project
because space is a problem for me and the bobbins are more compact.

I hope to just replace a color on a bobbin as it's used up. I'm finding
lots of duplicates because I was always too lazy to go through all the
skeins to find a color and just bought a new one. I'm more careful with the
specialty threads first because they're so much more expensive, but mostly
because they aren't available in any local shop and need to be special
ordered.

Lucille

Old February 21st 08, 03:11 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Debbie Rice

I leave a spit of thread on the bobbin before replacing. I still have a
clump of unwound, extra skeins of thread to go through and that remnant
thread on the bobbin makes spotting the extra skein quicker before I buy
still yet another duplicate.

I like the new extra-fine point sharpies for labelling the bobbins although
with practice getting the tiny stickers on gets better..

Anyone else remember decades ago the "all the DMC colors" ads on the backs
of the stitching magazines? My husband bought for me and it came not as
full skeins of DMC but as a couple of yards of each color wound in numerical
order (unlabeled) on one large card. I was so incredibly paranoid I was
going to get them out of sequence, tangled, etc. At least he was thinking
of my interests with the gift, but I was rather grinning-and-bearing-it
trying to get through all the bobbin winding without error or having a color
shoplifted by a conniving kitty. Pre-internet days without easy access to
DMC color charts online. I was really thrilled having all the DMC colors
(particularly with some of the patterns in those days calling for hundreds
of colors at one time and sometimes only a strand or two) but wound up with
a lot of duplicate skeins because I couldn't remember which bobbins were
full skeins and which might only be a tiny bit of a color.

Old February 21st 08, 03:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
lewmew

On Feb 21, 9:16*am, lucretia borgia
wrote:
On Thu, 21 Feb 2008 10:11:13 -0500, "Debbie Rice"
opined:

[...]

Mentioning the ads made me think of maybe mid 90s when DMC added
several new colours. * I have always thought of them as 'mutant'
colours, they never look right, don't think I have used any of them. I
bought them only because there was a deal on buying the complete pack
and I think one gets somewhat anal about having the collection totally
complete !- Hide quoted text -

Which ones were those? There's a really disgusting moss green I was
glad to see go in the clearance bin. . .
Old February 21st 08, 05:36 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Debbie Rice

I think the ad did blare "includes new 90+ newcolors".

Just a handful of years back there were new colors added to DMC line (filled
in some missing purple, blue and green shades predominantly) -- most of
these new ones were numbered in the 100s and I think there were about 3
assorted numbered ones. The lack of the blue/green/purple shades was why
Marilyn created here Needlepaints threads.

Outside the U.S. they discontinued one color number (here in US Just
CrossStitch magazine created a panic in one of their opening pages) and
that's why one of the skeins now has normal number and discontinued number
in parentheses. At least that's the last I heard.

"lucretia borgia" wrote in message
On Thu, 21 Feb 2008 07:48:59 -0800 (PST), lewmew
opined:

Mentioning the ads made me think of maybe mid 90s when DMC added
several new colours. I have always thought of them as 'mutant'
colours, they never look right, don't think I have used any of them. I
bought them only because there was a deal on buying the complete pack
and I think one gets somewhat anal about having the collection totally
complete !- Hide quoted text -

Which ones were those? There's a really disgusting moss green I was
glad to see go in the clearance bin. . .

They are the last ones they added - I don't think there have been
more.

Old February 21st 08, 06:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Karen C in California

Debbie Rice wrote:
Anyone else remember decades ago the "all the DMC colors" ads on the backs
of the stitching magazines?

I do. I ordered it and suggested that bobbining it was within DH's
(that's D for Dumb) capabilities.

I don't know if he was being obstreperous because he didn't want to do
anything to help me or if he really was too dense to read the
instructions (which said "start with white" and numbers follow in
ascending order), but he started at the 3799 end and didn't label the
bobbins. Fortunately, he gave up after a couple dozen.

A few years ago, Kim from Fabrics2U was offering a special, her DD would
bobbin your floss for a couple cents a skein. I got her DD to do it
right and even to match up the unlabelled bobbins to the color chart to
label them. Best money I ever spent.

--
Karen C - California
Editor/Proofreader www.IntlProofingConsortium.com

Finished 1/19/08 - Sesame Street group picture

WIP: Isabella's Garden, MLI The Teacher (gift to the library),
Bethany Angel, Flowers of Hawaii (Jeanette Crews) for ME!!!
Retrieved from UFO pile: Marbek's Snow Angel

CFSfacts -- where we give you the facts and dispel the myths
Myths, with research cites: http://www.aacfs.org/images/pdfs/myths.pdf
Research blog: http://journals.aol.com/kmc528/Lifeasweknowit/

New Floss and Fiber Storage System Chip and Allie Orange Needlework 22 August 3rd 07 01:47 AM
Organizing stamps Jeannette Marsala Rubberstamps 0 July 14th 05 06:29 PM
Organizing to quilt Joan Quilting 0 March 20th 05 04:11 PM
Floss-Away brand floss bags Seanette Blaylock Needlework 6 February 21st 05 03:49 AM
Organizing Stash! Pat in Virginia Quilting 30 February 3rd 05 05:01 PM