Floss Organizing System ??

Old January 31st 08, 09:22 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak

Default Floss Organizing System ??

On 1/31/08 8:27 AM, in article
, "Donna"
wrote:

On Jan 30, 5:10 pm, Karen C in California wrote:
Donna wrote:
disadvantages: takes up a lot of room, sometimes have to hunt for the
correct ring (it's always on the bottom)

Couldn't you hang the rings? Put them in order across the bar of a
sturdy clothes hanger. If you have lots of bags, buy one of those
multi-level hangers, designed to hold half a dozen skirts/slacks.

--
Karen C - California
Editor/Proofreaderwww.IntlProofingConsortium.com

If I had room I could maybe hang them. But I don't. I just try to keep
everything stitching related corralled to one corner of what is now
being referred to as the man cave. I'm waiting for one of the two
children to become a college graduate and move out of the house
permanently, then I can have my own room!

Donna in Virginia

I just added photos of my semi organized DMC to rctnp

Old February 1st 08, 02:27 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Richard Grimes

On Tue, 29 Jan 2008 17:12:35 -0500, "Lucille" lzoltynospam@now at
comcast..net wrote:

So what's the consensus on the best, easiest way to organize thread?

This time I promise to be good and listen.

Lucille

If were really listening this time you would see there is no "best,
easiest way"

Lots of ways that lots of people prefer.

I keep my floss in quart size zip lok bags. Example: 300's in one
700' in another, I have DMC and Anchor so I keep them in their own
bags and then the quart bags go into a two gallon bag. These two go
into my roll-under-the-bed storage tub. I have yet to organize my
sampler threads....
Old February 1st 08, 02:43 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Lucille[_3_]

news
comcast..net wrote:

So what's the consensus on the best, easiest way to organize thread?

This time I promise to be good and listen.

Lucille

If were really listening this time you would see there is no "best,
easiest way"

Lots of ways that lots of people prefer.

I keep my floss in quart size zip lok bags. Example: 300's in one
700' in another, I have DMC and Anchor so I keep them in their own
bags and then the quart bags go into a two gallon bag. These two go
into my roll-under-the-bed storage tub. I have yet to organize my
sampler threads....

Up to now I just kept like colors in individual baggies. One for blue, one
for green, one for pinks and so on. The bags are just too full and take up
so much space that I figure if I put one skein of each color on a bobbin at
least I'll be able to identify what I need. The extra skeins of any
particular color can then go into one larger baggie. If I can stay
disciplined my idea is to make sure to replace an empty bobbin immediately
either from the extra stash or from a store when I'm shopping. An A.C.
Moore store is opening very near to where I live so I can (I hope) depend on
them for DMC threads. Specialty threads are for the time being settled in a
little plastic cabinet with drawers and so far I can still stuff in at least
a couple of skeins, so that's okay.

Old February 20th 08, 03:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Debbie Rice

Please hole-punch into those bags (don't keep sealed airtight or with DMC
floss you court moisture damage and for some of the hand/over-dyes in
Sampler and other lines you court a chemical reaction with food-grade
plastic bags--ditto for fabric).

I started my overdyes in the File A Floss box (item 4048 at
http://yarntree.com) then my clever husband figured a couple of
rods/dowels/leftover-wire-hanger-pieces into a nice, archival quality photo
box would duplicate the box and I could just buy the Floss Tabs (yarntree
item 8672) -- one of our local discount stores usually has 2 to 3 photo
boxes for $5.

I like the DMC stitch bows okay and all their accessories except for the
Notebook (it's just not a good quality notebook, one of those shiny covered
cardboard ones) -- and I've liked lots of other devices that have come and
gone (including the floss bags). New lines of thread (like Color
Variations) I've converted to the floss bows but I have yet to run across
anything that's going to make me unwind and re-organize more than 450 floss
bobbins in plastic case I've had for more than 30 years,

Old February 20th 08, 04:01 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Lucille[_3_]

m...

comcast..net wrote:

So what's the consensus on the best, easiest way to organize thread?

This time I promise to be good and listen.

Lucille

If were really listening this time you would see there is no "best,
easiest way"

Lots of ways that lots of people prefer.

I keep my floss in quart size zip lok bags. Example: 300's in one
700' in another, I have DMC and Anchor so I keep them in their own
bags and then the quart bags go into a two gallon bag. These two go
into my roll-under-the-bed storage tub. I have yet to organize my
sampler threads....

I finally decided on the floss bobbins. I'm about 3/4 of the way through
winding the bobbins and I'm going crazy. It seems to me that everytime I
see an end to the winding, I find another little baggie of untouched skeins.

I do think I'll love it, provided I ever actually finish the winding and set
up the boxes in proper order.

Yaawwwnnnn

Lucille

Old February 20th 08, 04:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Julie K. Eitze

I was looking at a LNS's site the other day and ran across this....It looks
pretty nice! Still have to wind those bobbins though!
Julie in Hondo

http://members.aol.com/crossstitchplus/artbin.html

Old February 20th 08, 04:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Julie K. Eitze

"Julie K. Eitze" wrote in message
news
I was looking at a LNS's site the other day and ran across this....It looks
pretty nice! Still have to wind those bobbins though!
Julie in Hondo

http://members.aol.com/crossstitchplus/artbin.html

Well now I'm replying to my own post.....please forgive, but I found a
better one on a different search...this one os smaller but more movable from
the same company...

http://www.artbin.com/craft_site/08_...at_ndlarts.pdf

Old February 20th 08, 09:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Lucille[_3_]

"lucretia borgia" wrote in message
On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 16:13:28 -0500, "Lucille" lzoltynospam@now at
comcast..net opined:

That's what I'm using. Unfortunately the little critters refuse to put
themselves on the bobbins and insist that I assist them. Then they decide
to gravitate too far to the left or right.

I'm getting there. I'm nearly done with green and then there's only a few
more browns, beiges and gray, plus of course black and white which I might
just keep in a baggie. That will depend on just how tired I am of
winding.

Are you starting to see how nice they look though ? At least it is a
one time job ! Keep going. There are three whites now aren't there ?
So they should be on bobbins RDH

Yes--they do look nice and I can finally see exactly what I've got.

Some friend!! You really had to remind me of the three whites didn't you?
lol

Now go on and tell me there are 4 blacks and I'll catch you and floss you.

New Floss and Fiber Storage System Chip and Allie Orange Needlework 22 August 3rd 07 01:47 AM
Organizing stamps Jeannette Marsala Rubberstamps 0 July 14th 05 06:29 PM
Organizing to quilt Joan Quilting 0 March 20th 05 04:11 PM
Floss-Away brand floss bags Seanette Blaylock Needlework 6 February 21st 05 03:49 AM
Organizing Stash! Pat in Virginia Quilting 30 February 3rd 05 05:01 PM