Firehouse Angel Update

Old May 16th 06, 12:06 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

Default Firehouse Angel Info -- was Update

Love it, Joan. I was trying to figure out how we could incorporate that
sentiment. It could be placed on the matte. I'm looking at an award I
received many years ago, framed (logo of the city), and the brass plaque
is glued to the matte. That way, it wouldn't interfere with the frame type.

As an aside, I couldn't remember how to spell "mat", so I looked up
"matte" and it's some kind of gooey metal. So, I looked up "mat" and
the first definition didn't fit. But below that was: mat, matt, matte
(a mount for pictures). I'll be darned. You can get away with all three.

Now, about the: it wouldn't cost too much. (rhetorical) That's really,
really kind of you to offer to cover the cost.
Dianne

Joan E. wrote:
What if we had the statement from the website engraved on a plate to
attach to the front of the frame? I'm talking about this statement:
"In commemoration of the honor, selflessness and devotion to their
fellow man
as events unfolded in New York City on September 11, 2001.

*With kind hearts and loving hands:
the participants of the Usenet group rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
(RCTN) "

The reason I'm thinking of putting this on the front is so that people
visiting the station can see the reason why there's an angel there. I
don't think its presence should be *totally* without credit after all
the work that's gone into her.

I just called a trophy shop and it wouldn't be very expensive. I could
have it done up and send to Tia Mary when she takes is to the framers.
Or maybe the framer might have some idea how to incorporate it...

My 2 cents-worth...

Joan

Old May 16th 06, 12:10 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

Felice Friese wrote:
I like the idea of including the WIP photos with names and progress notes.
If we want, I could Photoshop the photos and notes and arrange them all on
one page, or simply do the photos and a list of first names and
states/countries. This could then be enlarged to just under frame size and
attached face up on the back so that the progress is visible.

Oh, could you really do that? Sounds good! Can you grab those images off
the web? Whatever the group wants to do.

Pretty soon that web site will come down. What a long trail this has
been, and what a grand accomplishment. I'm so very proud to have been a
small part of it.

Dianne
Old May 16th 06, 02:18 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

"Joan E." wrote in message
oups.com...

[...]

Excellent idea, Joan. People who see the Angel may well be puzzled, and this
would tell them "why".

Felice

Old May 16th 06, 02:24 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

"Dianne Lewandowski" wrote in message

Felice Friese wrote:
I like the idea of including the WIP photos with names and progress
notes. If we want, I could Photoshop the photos and notes and arrange
them all on one page, or simply do the photos and a list of first names
and states/countries. This could then be enlarged to just under frame
size and attached face up on the back so that the progress is visible.

Oh, could you really do that? Sounds good! Can you grab those images off
the web? Whatever the group wants to do.

Pretty soon that web site will come down. What a long trail this has
been, and what a grand accomplishment. I'm so very proud to have been a
small part of it.

Dianne

I'll take the photos and rough up something as an example of what might be
done. I'll let you know when I have something, and I can either post it with
a tinypic link or email it to those interested.

Felice

Old May 16th 06, 04:39 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

Felice Friese wrote:
... I like the idea of including the WIP photos with names and progress notes.
If we want, I could Photoshop the photos and notes and arrange them all on
one page, or simply do the photos and a list of first names and
states/countries. This could then be enlarged to just under frame size and
attached face up on the back so that the progress is visible. ....

What do you guys thing of attaching some sort of large envelope or
clear plastic sleeve type thing to the back of the piece and putting any
papers into that? I'm afraid that any papers taped to the back of the
piece might come "unstuck" over time.
I like the idea of the little "plaque" to be put on the frame or
matte. Of course, I'm not sure if there will even be a matte since that
would mean an additional expense for the matte AND a larger frame &
glass. UMMM -- I am assuming here that you guys trust MOI to be honest
and up front about the cost of the framing, etc. The type of frame,
etc. we use will be determined by the amount of money that is donated!
Whatever is done, I will make sure that I have receipts, etc. made
available to everyone who wants a copy. CiaoMeow ^;;^
Old May 16th 06, 02:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

snip

As a former NewYawker, I feel duty bound to contribute towards the cost of
finishing. Please contact me off list so I can send you some money.

--
another Anne, add ingers to frugalf to reply
Old May 16th 06, 05:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

Tia Mary wrote:

I like the idea of the little "plaque" to be put on the frame or
matte. Of course, I'm not sure if there will even be a matte since that
would mean an additional expense for the matte AND a larger frame &
glass. ... The type of frame,
etc. we use will be determined by the amount of money that is donated!

I will hold off on the plaque until we get closer to the end of the
process, although you should mention it to the framer since that may
make a difference. I suppose we could just have a separate plaque to
hang underneath it, too.

Joan

Old May 16th 06, 05:33 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

Hi Everyone,
I live on Long Island, and if there's no one closer, I'll do the
delivery. But since I didn't live here when it happened, if there's
someone else local, I'd feel better about that. I'm more than willing
to contribute to the cost of framing as well, Tia Mary, please email me
at heather.eberhardt @ gmail.com and we'll work it out. I'm so glad
she's finally getting so close to done and will certainly go see her
after presentation so I can just marvel at it. I worked on her very
early on and was thrilled with what I saw then.
Heather

Old May 16th 06, 07:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

Joan E. wrote:
Tia Mary wrote:

I like the idea of the little "plaque" to be put on the frame or
matte. Of course, I'm not sure if there will even be a matte since
that would mean an additional expense for the matte AND a larger
frame & glass. ... The type of frame,
etc. we use will be determined by the amount of money that is
donated!

I will hold off on the plaque until we get closer to the end of the
process, although you should mention it to the framer since that may
make a difference. I suppose we could just have a separate plaque to
hang underneath it, too.

Joan

They could get separated, unintentionally, during a remodel (or just a
painting of the wall) for example.

But whatever you guys decide, I'll be happy to contribute a few $ towards
the finishing.

Old May 16th 06, 09:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

Why don't you see what the framer suggests about attaching the papers?
Have we decided about the chart itself? I think most of us had signed
and dated close to the spot that we stitched. That wouldn't need to be
on the back with the progress, but perhaps sandwiched inside? I just
kinda feel the chart should go with her. And I love the idea of a
small plaque. I hope that's able to be worked out.

If no one else is interested in the beads and fibers that were left
over and you decide against an auction, I'd be happy to purchase them.
I actually have the chart in my to-do pile, so they would be put to
good use.

Carolyn